Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 hacked

Thanks
    EP Points

uh, there are already a hanful of ps3 isos posted

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    You don't seem to understand. It's not that his method wasn't "the best" or anything like that. Other people on the scene specifically said it was a very bad idea to patch LV2 via firmware, that there was a high risk of bricking consoles. He knew this but did it anyway, and released it publicly thinking he somehow made it safe - it wasn't until after a lot of PS3's got bricked that he realized his errors and tagged his firmware with a warning of its dangers or bothered to research which consoles it bricked and which it didn't. The enduser plays a part in bricking their own machine, definitely.. In your case as you said, you knew the risks, but he as a developer is not exempt from blame either. Especially not when he should have known better.

This isn't a case where he tried something new and made a mistake, and no one had any idea there would be any risk involved at all. This is a case where everyone else on the scene knew what would happen if someone tried to patch LV2, and he did it anyway.
    A lot of wii's got bricked initially. Dark alex bricked a ton of PSPs. flashing a 360 drive has made hundreds worthless.

See, unfortunately, there is no way to test this without... testing it. People are either willing or they aren't. If no one did anything that wasn't 'safe' at first, then none of this would have ever happened to begin with. Some people are willing to risk it, for the sake of progress. You can complain about that all you like, as can others. Your choice is to simply not take part in it til it's safe enough for those who don't feel up to the risk. Personally, I gave it a shot and it worked fine. If it hadn't, water under the bridge, it was a spare console anyway (The Bluray drive is being funky.)

I'll keep updating it as he releases things and keep submitting bug reports or any other oddities I find, in hopes of it becoming something good. Simple as that.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    uh, there are already a hanful of ps3 isos posted
    Weren't there just a handful before the rollback? I haven't seen anything posted since.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

I heard that to "patch" the problem they would have to make new software for the upcoming updates or make a new version of the ps3 altogether

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    A lot of wii's got bricked initially. Dark alex bricked a ton of PSPs. flashing a 360 drive has made hundreds worthless.
    I only started following the 360 scene in 2008, but fuck if you brick a console you're retarded. The drives aren't brickable, so as long as you have your DVD key saved there's nothing you can do wrong to brick your console.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I only started following the 360 scene in 2008, but fuck if you brick a console you're retarded. The drives aren't brickable, so as long as you have your DVD key saved there's nothing you can do wrong to brick your console.
    I think he meant when they developed the modding process, seeing as it's what they were talking about.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    I think he meant when they developed the modding process, seeing as it's what they were talking about.
    Ah, it looked like a pain in the arse/risky as shit back in 2006. Having to hex edit your DVD key from your dump into the CFW.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Weren't there just a handful before the rollback? I haven't seen anything posted since.
    I just haven't gotten around to making the threads again is all . Once I finish downloading all the stuff on my list I'll probably get back to it.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

If I were to hack my ps3, I would most likely use it for emulation myself but I'm not going to risk my data(or money)right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    A lot of wii's got bricked initially. Dark alex bricked a ton of PSPs. flashing a 360 drive has made hundreds worthless..
    *sigh*
    Do you understand what LV2 is? Or even why most of the people on the scene said it would be a horrible mistake to patch it in firmware?
    There are very good reasons why he shouldn't have, but he did so anyway.. And he did so against the better judgement of everyone else on the scene.

Yes you're going to break a few consoles on the way sometimes, that always happens in the scene. But things are most often thoroughly tested privately before release, or -at least- tagged with a huge warning when placed out there as a public release. In this instance, it was not thoroughly tested privately for what it was he was doing, and it was not released with proper warning attached either, he released this as though it were safe. And he himself admitted to the blunder that all of this was, and those other developers whom said it was a bad idea are whom he's been consulting with ever since in an attempt to fix his firmware.

Honestly, this is a case where he rushed something out the door that was openly known on the scene as dangerous, likely for no better reason than to be a glory hog about it. It broke things, people were pissed, he scrambled to throw up warnings everywhere about the dangers of his firmware, and then after all was said and done.. he finally did the only thing he could do, consult with those on the scene that said it was a bad idea to begin with.

Thanks
    EP Points

I am quite curious to see what happens with the PS3 scene over the next year or so.

Honestly, I was a little sad to hear it had been hacked. Of course, this sadness was followed by my friend inviting me over to get all the CFW and stuff working.

(Also, this is one of the rare threads in General Gaming that is actually intelligent and has kept me interested enough to read every post in it. Where do I find the "Like" button?)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I just haven't gotten around to making the threads again is all . Once I finish downloading all the stuff on my list I'll probably get back to it.
    Ah, good :nood:

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    Where do I find the "Like" button?
    I'm only saying because there is one... Top right of the page, right under the page selector
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Ah, good :nood:

I'm only saying because there is one... Top right of the page, right under the page selector
    haha... Oh god. What was supposed to be a silly pun turned into a terrible reality.

Thanks

I'm interested to see what comes of all this. Soon people are going to be arguing about which console has the better hacks.

Thanks
    EP Points

well I can tell you, as of right now, the PS3 is more hip to hack