Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 hacked

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Damn. Sony's gotta be pissed about this. From what the article sounds like, Sony's trying to go all out to stop this.

Thanks for the article, Russ. It was very informative.

Ahh, Miku! She's so AWESOME!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JC200X View Post
    Damn.
    This was going to be my reply exactly

Really though, Sony kind of deserves it for taking away the OtherOS feature. Part of the PS3's charm was that feature and it allowed a lot of people to overlook the price if they reasoned that they were essentially getting a computer out of the deal. And then *blink* it's gone.

But yeah, that was a good article

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pretty interesting, and now that the cat's out of the bag, it's going to be the devil's own work to get it back in. Of course, the people at fail0verflow are right about Hotz's release of the actual key benefiting piracy without many other tangible benefits, but I'll be honest when I say I'm not exactly too broken up about it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Pretty interesting, and now that the cat's out of the bag, it's going to be the devil's own work to get it back in. Of course, the people at fail0verflow are right about Hotz's release of the actual key benefiting piracy without many other tangible benefits, but I'll be honest when I say I'm not exactly too broken up about it.

Pretty much all homebrew ultimately sucks after a little while, so the guys at fail0verflow are full of shit. They want to pirates games as much as the next guy...they just have to say they're against it because they're the ones who can be blamed. It implies nobility where there is none.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Pretty much all homebrew ultimately sucks after a little while, so the guys at fail0verflow are full of shit. They want to pirates games as much as the next guy...they just have to say they're against it because they're the ones who can be blamed. It implies nobility where there is none.
    I don't know; they also refused to give out the key itself, though they did say how they broke the system to obtain it at that conference. Astonishing as it may seem here, not all people want to pirate games, even among hackers. Sometimes it's not even the homebrew itself, it's simply the challenge of doing something no one else has done before, or exposing blatant stupidity in programming from major targets corporations, or sometimes some perceived slight like revoking established features and privileges. Sometimes it's all of the above. Whether it's willful blindness or hypocrisy, I suppose the end result's the same, though.

I like their presentation, though:
    "You have earned a trophy.
    Pissed off hackers."
    Last edited by Mistral; 8th-January-2011 at 00:33.

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

This appears to be a major step forward. I wonder how long until Ps3 emulators becomes a reality and you can just download everything altogether. Although i'm not expecting much because ps2 emulation leaves something to be desired, at least in the iso compatibility area. It appears as though they just did it for the same reason all hackers hack. They want to show everyone how big their e-penis is, and have bragging rights that will "own" other wannabes. If you bought a system when PSjailbreak was still not blocked by sony, can you still use burned games with it? Hmm.
    Last edited by Russ; 8th-January-2011 at 00:46.

Thanks
    EP Points

sweet, but wasnt ps3 already hacked? (also this could suck for sony since they barely make money from it anyway)

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Jailbreak was a hack that was easily patchable, which was the issue. You had to stay behind the version number and such.

This... this is a bit more epic in scale, insofar as there is no real 'patch' Sony can use to fix this problem. Having the keys is more or less like having a trojan sitting in root, no matter what they change in the upper levels of security, you can just turn it off and go about your merry way.

I'll stand by my statement that this wont kill anyone. People who pirate everything, anyway, wont buy games regardless. People who buy games, may pirate things to try them out, but they'll ultimately buy the games they actually like.

All it'll really enable is peoples ability not to buy shovelware or rent tier games.

Thanks
    EP Points

i'll agree that piracy barely does any damage especially compared to used sales, but in some cases pirates WOULD still buy the game in which they could otherwise not obtain

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Used, yes, which in the end does nothing for the companies anyway. So all piracy really hurts is gamestop.

Thanks
    EP Points

it does hurt the original companies as long as the game is still in production

Thanks

What about hurting the user. I mean has anyone ever heard of someone getting busted for emulating. I'm waiting for the day a Smith from the matrix movie comes to my door saying I owe sony my left lung.
    Last edited by pow; 10th-January-2011 at 00:06.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    it does hurt the original companies as long as the game is still in production
    I dunno, I just don't see it. The odds of a dedicated pirate buying anything new are pretty shockingly low.

If they buy it used, the dev/publisher don't get any of the money at all. It all goes to gamestop or whatever.

Maybe all I know are cheap pirates, but if they cant steal a game outright, they just buy used. Particularly during buy 2 get 1 free sales and such.

Thanks

Woot! Im so glad they did this. I was gonna buy a ps3 but I decided not to when I found out they removed the other OS feature, and homebrew. This changes everything now.