Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Last Great Sonic Game

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default The Last Great Sonic Game

What do you all think the last Good sonic game was?

Me, Id say Sonic Adventure 2. Now while Sonic Adventure 1 had its place in history I never felt as compelled to finish it as much as I was on Adventure 2.

On Adventure 2 I went out of my way to 100% the game.

All sonic games since then that have been developed in house (Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing was Sumo Digital) have been from Mediocre (Shadow the Hedgehog) to down right unplayable (Sonic the Hedgehog 360).

While Im not out to burn sega at the stake for this like a lot of "Hardcore" Sonic Fans, I'm rather appalled at how badly there handling the Sonic IP these days. I'll admit Sonic 4 was a step in the right direction yet episodic gaming gets on my nerves. especially since Sega are doing a Valve... No Word still on Episode 3 and Sega no word on Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Thanks
    EP Points

The last ones I played were the adventure ones on DC. I've stayed away from anything newer given all the bad reviews and such. If they ever come up with a decent one again I'll jump on it.

Thanks

Sonic Heroes and Sonic Riders.

Thanks

sonic adventure 2 battle. great memories raising chaos

Thanks

Sonic 2, after that I never cared for the series. At all.

Thanks

Sonic Heroes. it was, to me, the only good 3D sonic game. it had no stupid fishing stages, no ridiculous gun stages and no tedious treasure hunting stages. it was pure awesome platforming through out the whole game. to me, that's what sonic does best... now if it would only stick with what it's good at...

Thanks
    EP Points

Personally, I'm inclined to say Sonic Adventure 2. Decent gameplay, Big was shot (sadly not literally, but we can't all get what we wish), and Robotnik was PLAYABLE. It had its fair share of faults, but I enjoyed that game far more than I ever did the later instalments.

The main issue I had with the game is that it started the decline of Sonic acquiring yet more and more friends. I know it also occurred in Sonic Adventure, but in all honesty, the only two 'new' characters were Big and E-102, of which E-102 was at least acceptable. (Unfortunately, now we're stuck with E-123, but that's a rant for another day). In Sonic Adventure 2 we were introduced to Rouge - no, I'm not going to make the bog-standard prostitute joke - and Shadow, our resident emo bastard. For some reason they felt the success of both Sonic Adventures were a cataclyst to expand the cast of characters exponentially with every game, culminating in the hellhole of Sonic Heroes, with four adventures in the exact same levels with about 3 halfway likeable characters spread between them.

The only positive thing I'd say about Sonic Heroes is because it's the last game Deem Bristlow voiced Dr. Robotnik. After that, he sadly passed away. Mike Pollock's a bloody good voice actor too though. Still, in Sonic Adventure 2 Robotnik was playable, well acted, and I pretty much enjoyed every level except Knuckles and Rouge's later treasure hunt levels. (The first few weren't too bad, but the last couple were just too goddamn massive). Sonic and Shadow's levels were fun, the gameplay was fairly fast but controllable (as opposed to the ridiculous speed of Sonic Unleashed's daytime levels), and I actually didn't hate Shadow in SA2 yet. It was when the little black-and-red bastard was resurrected that he became one of the worst things to hit gaming history.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    What do you all think the last Good sonic game was?

Me, Id say Sonic Adventure 2. Now while Sonic Adventure 1 had its place in history I never felt as compelled to finish it as much as I was on Adventure 2.

On Adventure 2 I went out of my way to 100% the game.

All sonic games since then that have been developed in house (Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing was Sumo Digital) have been from Mediocre (Shadow the Hedgehog) to down right unplayable (Sonic the Hedgehog 360).

While Im not out to burn sega at the stake for this like a lot of "Hardcore" Sonic Fans, I'm rather appalled at how badly there handling the Sonic IP these days. I'll admit Sonic 4 was a step in the right direction yet episodic gaming gets on my nerves. especially since Sega are doing a Valve... No Word still on Episode 3 and Sega no word on Sonic 4 Episode 2.
    The 3D Sonic for the PS3. I don't see why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over the Sonic games, the core games are all fun, and Riders is quite fun as well.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 22nd-January-2011 at 19:36.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can only go by what I've played;

The last GREAT Sonic game was Sonic & Knuckles.
    The last GOOD Sonic game was Advance 3.

Thanks

Sonic adventure 2 battle is a great Sonic game, and it's my favourite Sonic game!

Currently playing:

GoldenEye 007 on Nintendo Wii
    Call of Duty: Black Ops on Xbox 360
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent on PC

Thanks

Hmm... I'll echo the sentiment that the last truly 'great' sonic game was Sonic 3+knuckles

The last good one was definitely Sonic Unleashed on PS3/360. The day stages were a lot of fun and captured the whole Sonic idea quite well. The night stages were a farce and kind of ruined the game in a lot of ways though. I'd buy a new Sonic game if it was simply the Sonic Unleashed engine with only normal 'day' stages. Yes I would. Trying to compete in time trials in those and such was incredibly fun and to really cut the seconds off took a lot of practice.

The Sonic RPG by Bioware deserves an honorable mention for at least being a good attempt at a game that wasnt a total cashin.

Also, Sonic Colors on the Wii is actually pretty fun. Not a spectacular game, but the ideas are compelling enough to be worth playing.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    Hmm... I'll echo the sentiment that the last truly 'great' sonic game was Sonic 3+knuckles

The last good one was definitely Sonic Unleashed on PS3/360. The day stages were a lot of fun and captured the whole Sonic idea quite well. The night stages were a farce and kind of ruined the game in a lot of ways though. I'd buy a new Sonic game if it was simply the Sonic Unleashed engine with only normal 'day' stages. Yes I would. Trying to compete in time trials in those and such was incredibly fun and to really cut the seconds off took a lot of practice.

The Sonic RPG by Bioware deserves an honorable mention for at least being a good attempt at a game that wasnt a total cashin.

Also, Sonic Colors on the Wii is actually pretty fun. Not a spectacular game, but the ideas are compelling enough to be worth playing.
    On Sonic Chronicles - definitely a fun game, Robotnik was priceless in that game, but it was broken in too many ways. Especially the ear-torturing godawful atrocious horrendous physically painful MUSIC.
    Last edited by Dr. Ivo Robotnik; 22nd-January-2011 at 21:25.

Thanks

Sonic Colors for DS was really good. Even the Wii one was fairly good if you looked past the cutscenes.

Thanks
    EP Points

lol, just sonic 2 and soinic spinball were the ones i always played and beat.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sonic 3&K. Of course the last sonic I've played was Shadow and that was absolutely atrocious.

Three more days until Party time!