Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Wii reaching the end of it's lifespan?

Thanks

I heard that they plane to release a console with HD graphics pretty soon. Well, probably not pretty soon, but within a year or 2. Since both Microsoft AND Sony are not releasing a new console until 2015. So I think they will release one by late 2012 at least.

Since current consoles are running on such outdated hardware, if Nintendo releases a console with some halfway decent hardware, then they could have some pretty amazing games. Because current console hardware is laughably pathetic, hopefully Nintendo will capitalize on this opportunity and if they did, they would win this console war crap.

THEN, microsoft and sony as well will probably release a new console as well and not wait until 2015.

I am probably being way too hopeful though.

Thanks

Well I don't think so, but they better some out with a new Console besides the 3DS. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are making Wii looks like 2000 system. In any other state -___- besides the mario games They all seem to me like umm well nvm but the fact is that what if they could pull this hyper beauti of a system out what are they going to put Title: mario saves the princess again x10. but also 72% of the games for the wii are like HUH!! oh yeah they can remake Super Mario Legend of the Seven stars again. Now thats amazing even thought it goes into helping her but..that Smithy guy comes in and changes the plot around. sorry about the long post.

Thanks

I've always enjoyed Nintendo but the idea of the Wii just doesn't appeal to me. I don't need to be flailing my arms around to get into a video game. I greatly hope they return to the idea of using a more classic design for a controller. I find it highly unlikely however because the general population seems to eat up all this interactive garbage. If they do come out with a new one I sincerely hope they will use a more traditional controller scheme.

Thanks

well... the Wii is the only Nintendo console i DON'T own so maybe that says something? i really don't care for gimmicks, i've always enjoyed a regular controller. it's what i liked as a kid and what i'll like till my death. maybe i'm just getting old...

as for Nintendo, they've always done this really. i'd say the last good (imo) Nintendo console was the SNES. it was the N64 which saw Nintendo not caring to keep up with hardware. it used cartridges over compact discs. [though i like cartridges more myself] it showed how Nintendo didn't care to really compete. also it's controller shown some gimmick/experimentation.
    - than came the Gamecube which was another experimentation. small system, small discs, the system really didn't compete well with the generation either. neither of these 2 systems sold well...
    the Wii is the expection though, amazingly enough it sold really well. my guess? more games, more advertising. it's the same formula though, selling gimmicks. it finally paid off for them.

for me, all 3 of those systems aren't worth it, sure there are a FEW games worth getting, in fact almost NEED those games. such as the Zelda series is a necessity. however i bought the N64 and Gamecube when they were already dead since i didn't feel any need to waste money on a console with nothing i really want. bought a used GC for $40. only games i got are Zelda:TP, Resident Evil Zero, Mega Man Network Transmission (and a few others)

my point is, there was no rush for getting those systems or games lol. the Sony consoles have been what i've been loyal to (for now) due to high quality and large amount of good games. the newer generation (PS3) i still haven't bought into yet but with the new low prices i'm going to soon. however not a lot of games that fit my taste around anymore. i'm a retro gamer whose finding it difficult to enjoy new games.

Sony is all i got to look forward to for now, with Microsoft's fail rates i'm not going to bother with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deathzero021 View Post
    well... the Wii is the only Nintendo console i DON'T own so maybe that says something? i really don't care for gimmicks, i've always enjoyed a regular controller. it's what i liked as a kid and what i'll like till my death. maybe i'm just getting old...

as for Nintendo, they've always done this really. i'd say the last good (imo) Nintendo console was the SNES. it was the N64 which saw Nintendo not caring to keep up with hardware. it used cartridges over compact discs. [though i like cartridges more myself] it showed how Nintendo didn't care to really compete. also it's controller shown some gimmick/experimentation.
    - than came the Gamecube which was another experimentation. small system, small discs, the system really didn't compete well with the generation either. neither of these 2 systems sold well...
    the Wii is the expection though, amazingly enough it sold really well. my guess? more games, more advertising. it's the same formula though, selling gimmicks. it finally paid off for them.

for me, all 3 of those systems aren't worth it, sure there are a FEW games worth getting, in fact almost NEED those games. such as the Zelda series is a necessity. however i bought the N64 and Gamecube when they were already dead since i didn't feel any need to waste money on a console with nothing i really want. bought a used GC for $40. only games i got are Zelda:TP, Resident Evil Zero, Mega Man Network Transmission (and a few others)

my point is, there was no rush for getting those systems or games lol. the Sony consoles have been what i've been loyal to (for now) due to high quality and large amount of good games. the newer generation (PS3) i still haven't bought into yet but with the new low prices i'm going to soon. however not a lot of games that fit my taste around anymore. i'm a retro gamer whose finding it difficult to enjoy new games.

Sony is all i got to look forward to for now, with Microsoft's fail rates i'm not going to bother with them.
    Couple of points:

Wii games are mostly retro style. So, by not getting one you pretty much shot yourself in the foot if thats your cup of tea. In fact, if thats the kind of games you enjoy, what does it matter about things keeping up with tech?

N64 came out during the infancy of CD based gaming, it wasn't really 'not keeping up with tech' so much as sticking to the tried and true instead of trying some 'outlandish new technology' which hadn't panned out for other systems thus far.

Wii was an innovative idea. Someone has to innovate. Most of Nintendo's awesome ideas get taken as inspiration eventually. Hell, portable gaming? analog sticks on controllers? Motion gaming? Touch gaming? Nintendo pretty much dragged those into the mainstream themselves. Other companies may have done similar things before, but the Nintendo iterations tended to be financial successes as well.

I mean, the Gamecube itself sold some odd 14 million units. That isn't shabby. the Nintendo 64 sold 33 million units. In comparison, SNES and NES only sold 49 million and 62 million, respectively. While a rather noted difference in numbers, the later consoles did come out in much more competitive times.

tl;dr lol