Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsco View Post
    LMAO. The hell was Young doing out there? Fire the manager!

At least the better team won today.
    Like, I know, right? Walcott would've easily scored with one of his trademark awful-attempt-that-somehow-creeps-in-off-the-goalies-hand shots.

And how fun for good ol' Cole to suddenly remember that he's not a very good penalty taker. Bah...

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

A lesson England should learn by now, going to the penalties is suicidal. And against Italy, even more. Neither Holland nor England are too lucky when that fateful time comes... except for that PK shootout against Spain in the Euro 96, I don't think I ever seen England qualifying after them :/

I wanted England to win but I admit Italy deserved it more. At least we'll be able to enjoy Pirlo some more.

Thanks
    EP Points

You have to...

Spoiler warning:
    KISS DA BADGE!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

@Sheras: Obvious pick is Spain v Germany. Who knows though, Ronaldo has actually been pretty good in this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Armitage View Post
    Like, I know, right? Walcott would've easily scored with one of his trademark awful-attempt-that-somehow-creeps-in-off-the-goalies-hand shots.

And how fun for good ol' Cole to suddenly remember that he's not a very good penalty taker. Bah...
    At least the game is most likely irrelevant. I want to see Germany carve up this Italian defense. Though they might take the same approach the took vs Spain.

Young and Milner are both rubbish, neither should start. I don't care who the alternatives are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    A lesson England should learn by now, going to the penalties is suicidal. And against Italy, even more. Neither Holland nor England are too lucky when that fateful time comes... except for that PK shootout against Spain in the Euro 96, I don't think I ever seen England qualifying after them :/

I wanted England to win but I admit Italy deserved it more. At least we'll be able to enjoy Pirlo some more.
    And that Spanish team was likely terrible anyways.

Yeah Pirlo is great.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 25th-June-2012 at 16:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

And that Spanish team was likely terrible anyways.

Yeah Pirlo is great.
    I wouldn't say they were terrible... you are being way too generous with them.

That was a different spanish catenaccio than the one we practice now

Thanks
    EP Points

Lucky team is lucky

It was fun when some people started to boo the Spaniard team in a noticeable way the very few times they tried to control the game. Glad to see I'm not alone on this, German and Italian sports press are starting to say it clear, Spain plays a boring football.

Go, Ramos, go! Learning from the best

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

This is why Arsenal is obviously the best team ever. Despite playing (or more recently, trying to play) all, like, tippy-tappy they still manage to let in a lot of goals by not defending properly/at all. Spain have no decency!

With that said, I'm really happy Spain went through ^___________________________________________^ I'd say it was very well-deserved aswell. Fabregas is so cool, and I miss him so much it hurts sometimes. Don't know why they keep throwing on Navas though. Am I totally missing something there?

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Thought a win on penalties was just about fair given that both teams were pretty dud in the match and Spain looked much livelier in extra time. Not a very interesting game, though, and that's coming from someone who actually likes Spain. :'D

Still think people are being unfair to them, mind. The way the commentators are talking here, you'd think there was no skill involved in holding the ball like they do, and flooding the midfield with players would be enough for any team to pull off the defensive record they have. They seem to forget that Scotland played six midfielders a couple of seasons ago, and got killed in most of the games they played. Or yeah, Arsenal's defensive frailties, as Elmdor mentioned. :'D Saying their play is boring is one thing (again, I like Spain, and they haven't exactly set my heart on fire this tournament... :'D), but you don't go eleven knockout games on the trot undefeated through good fortune alone, and I think you've got to put your hands up and concede its effectiveness, at very least. Especially when teams like Mourinho's Inter and last season's Champions League winning Chelsea have been commended in the past for defensive records that don't even come close to Spain's. I think Germany (assuming it is Germany) will struggle against them a lot more than the pundits here seem to think, even if the purist in me hopes they find a way through.
    Last edited by Elin; 28th-June-2012 at 06:31.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Barf.

GO SPAIN!

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh, boy, our bête noire is here to take the cup

England, Germany... Spain? Italy is everyone's black beast, the last team you'd like to see against yours in a competition, even less in the final

Another favourite of mine gone. At least we'll be able to enjoy Pirlo some more

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Armitage View Post
    This is why Arsenal is obviously the best team ever. Despite playing (or more recently, trying to play) all, like, tippy-tappy they still manage to let in a lot of goals by not defending properly/at all. Spain have no decency!

With that said, I'm really happy Spain went through ^___________________________________________^ I'd say it was very well-deserved aswell. Fabregas is so cool, and I miss him so much it hurts sometimes. Don't know why they keep throwing on Navas though. Am I totally missing something there?
    Navas makes little sense if there's no forward striker. Someday Del Bosque will realize it. Llorente+Navas would do wonders.

I like Cesc, with him instead of Xavi, Spain would play a more direct, effective football. Eventual defensive errors aside, neither Barça, nor Arsenal plays this soporific advanced catenaccio.

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Thought a win on penalties was just about fair given that both teams were pretty dud in the match and Spain looked much livelier in extra time. Not a very interesting game, though, and that's coming from someone who actually likes Spain. :'D

Still think people are being unfair to them, mind. The way the commentators are talking here, you'd think there was no skill involved in holding the ball like they do, and flooding the midfield with players would be enough for any team to pull off the defensive record they have. They seem to forget that Scotland played six midfielders a couple of seasons ago, and got killed in most of the games they played. Or yeah, Arsenal's defensive frailties, as Elmdor mentioned. :'D Saying their play is boring is one thing (again, I like Spain, and they haven't exactly set my heart on fire this tournament... :'D), but you don't go eleven knockout games on the trot undefeated through good fortune alone, and I think you've got to put your hands up and concede its effectiveness, at very least. Especially when teams like Mourinho's Inter and last season's Champions League winning Chelsea have been commended in the past for defensive records that don't even come close to Spain's. I think Germany (assuming it is Germany) will struggle against them a lot more than the pundits here seem to think, even if the purist in me hopes they find a way through.
    Of course there's skill in what they do, Spain has plenty of skilled players, that's why it's sad to see them play so incredibly badly. I can understand that, in certain matches you have to sacrifice any kind of eye-catching football in order to secure the victory, but I'm afraid that there's too much self-indulgence in the way Spain do things lately...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You have no idea how hard I will be cheering for Spain cookie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I HATE Italy. I was cheering for England to beat them, I NEVER cheer for England. Ugh.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I HATE Italy. I was cheering for England to beat them, I NEVER cheer for England. Ugh.
    My sis likes Italy for some reason.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheras View Post
    My sis likes Italy for some reason.
    Because she likes Super Mario.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Alright, tomorrow is the big game.

Place your bets people!