Page 43 of 70 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's not like money talking is anything new in football anyway. A club like Arsenal who do their best to buy low and sell high are pretty much the exception, and most teams over the years have been the best because they're willing to splash out the money on the best players. The only things that have changed now are the sums involved and the names of the teams doing the buying. If anything it's more interesting this way. If Chelsea / Man City hadn't bought their way to power, United probably would have gone on winning the Premiership almost indefinitely (Arsenal are about the only exception in recent years who didn't win it by splashing the cash. Even Blackburn in 1992 bought their way to success). Some people just don't like to see football's old elite disturbed, I guess?

Anyway, more importantly that was some goal from Ibra. :3 A fitting end to Sweden's campaign, even if it's a shame they couldn't get the results earlier.
    Last edited by Elin; 20th-June-2012 at 06:30.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Always a fun thing to do.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    It's not like money talking is anything new in football anyway. A club like Arsenal who do their best to buy low and sell high are pretty much the exception, and most teams over the years have been the best because they're willing to splash out the money on the best players. The only things that have changed now are the sums involved and the names of the teams doing the buying. If anything it's more interesting this way. If Chelsea / Man City hadn't bought their way to power, United probably would have gone on winning the Premiership almost indefinitely (Arsenal are about the only exception in recent years who didn't win it by splashing the cash. Even Blackburn in 1992 bought their way to success). Some people just don't like to see football's old elite disturbed, I guess?

Anyway, more importantly that was some goal from Ibra. :3 A fitting end to Sweden's campaign, even if it's a shame they couldn't get the results earlier.
    And don't forget that the Arse almost won the champion's league, playing with an immense back four made up partly by Senderos, Eboué and the Flamster (go just got kicked out of Milano, lolz). Not that this had much to do with the whole "buying success in football"-discussion, but I wanted to mention Senderos. Yeah.

Can't see any team other than Germany pulling off a win here. Well, Italy might surprise maybe. Not that it'd be that surprising if Spain got their shit together but like Cookies - and probably someone else (read: Gypsy and Elin) - said, they were pretty awful against Croatia. All that silly tippy-tappy.

If only we'd drawn against Ukraine... or England. Man, Roy's starting line-ups sure are silly.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I feel for you Elmdor. Sweden could have easily advanced. Held a lead in every game and Ibra is so good. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Too much Cristiano for the Czechs, right?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

He finally conquered his nemesis today, woodwork-san.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

time

Lets go GERMANY!!!

What you guys think of the change in the German lineup? Klose starting, Mueller not starting nor Podolski
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 22nd-June-2012 at 19:40. Reason: no double posting..

Thanks
    EP Points

Finally! Germany kicked Greece out of Europe, was about time!

Now what, financial speculators?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheras View Post
    time

Lets go GERMANY!!!

What you guys think of the change in the German lineup? Klose starting, Mueller not starting nor Podolski
    Refreshing the initial team is a good idea. Dunno why Schweini wasn't one of them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Refreshing the initial team is a good idea. Dunno why Schweini wasn't one of them.
    Because he is part of the heart of the team and has had a good tournament so far imo until today really.

Anyway, I'm sober enough now to post about the game now I think.

4-2 is really a favourable scoreline for Greece considering how both teams played. I agree with Podolski being out. I enjoyed seeing Schürrle and Reus start. Götze and Schürrle are definitely going to be a huge part of the future of this team. Loved seeing Klose get a goal. My man of the match would probably be Khedira.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsco View Post
    Because he is part of the heart of the team and has had a good tournament so far imo until today really.

Anyway, I'm sober enough now to post about the game now I think.

4-2 is really a favourable scoreline for Greece considering how both teams played. I agree with Podolski being out. I enjoyed seeing Schürrle and Reus start. Götze and Schürrle are definitely going to be a huge part of the future of this team. Loved seeing Klose get a goal. My man of the match would probably be Khedira.
    I know, but after the injury he had, he is not the in the best shape possible, he's too worried to go from box to box like he normally does. Would be wise if he could rest some minutes as well and Khedira/Kroos are not a bad alternative to replace him once the match is already decided.

Khedira and Coentrao are having a surprisingly good Euro :O

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Khedira is a quality holding midfielder.

The way Schweini looked today I'd say if there isn't vast improvement before the next match he should not start.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Whoops my bad about the double post. For some reason i thought this thread was in the hangout.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsco View Post
    Khedira is a quality holding midfielder.

The way Schweini looked today I'd say if there isn't vast improvement before the next match he should not start.
    Yeah he really did look awful today. Especially when he was picked from the ball in the back 3rd (close to it) when he had only one defender coming at him and 2 outlets on either side.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Who needs strikers?

Thanks

This is without a doubt, one of the worst football games in history.

And France? You don't fucking care about the Euro did you? Jesus.
    Last edited by Fer!; 23rd-June-2012 at 20:51.

Thanks
    EP Points

So, we are going to have a latin showdown then, right?

*stares at Cookie*