Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

0-0 at half...pepe man...that was close

whew...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Heart in throat. I'm about ready to start chanting for Klose.

Gotze would also be a fine sub. Feels like this is about the time where we need a sub.

GOD DAMN IT MEIRELES SHOULD BE IN THE BOOK FOR THAT.

MARIO GOMEZ GOAL POACHING MAGIC OMGMGGGMGGMASIOGMSGOOGMGG HUG ME COOKIE.

Now lets see this out. Nice to see Klose get in.

Nani just gave me a heart attack.

Wow. Poor from Badstuber. Neuer.

OKAY BADSTUBER, THAT QUALIFIES AS REDEMPTION.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 9th-June-2012 at 20:49.

Thanks

Jesus christ, what a save from Neuer!

Haha, my younger brother and I have been laughing at him playing for Celtic for seasons now. :'D He's actually quite a gifted player in terms of raw ability, but he's horribly inconsistent and massively wasteful in front of goal. This season they moved him to left midfield, though, and he actually had a good season for them. Which begs the question of why Greece insisted on playing him as a lone striker.
    Why they didn't call Charisteas instead? He couldn't be worse than him.

Also, I can't believe how greedy Robben is with the ball. Holland gave a bad game overall (I mean, what was that Van Persie? An ant tackled you?) but I think Robben has been on quite a low form ever since the UCL final, he should be benched for the next game. :/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

BLOW THE WHISTLE REF.

There we go.

Thanks

Denmark and Germany at the top of their group. :O

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Would lol if Denmark advanced as long as it's not at the expense of Germany.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    Denmark and Germany at the top of their group. :O

Thanks

With the football level displayed today by Holland, I do believe they're the only ones who don't deserve to advance. Portugal gave a good game even with that loss.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah Portugal played a hell of a game, just some poor finishing at times, bad luck and Neuer being great that created a perfect storm.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsco View Post
    Yeah Portugal played a hell of a game, just some poor finishing at times, bad luck and Neuer being great that created a perfect storm.
    Germans controlled most of the game, till that last 20 minutes. Portugal was just going nuts then.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thought it was really negative football from Portugal until they conceded. :/ It was a good defensive performance and I get that they figured getting a point against Germany would be enough after Holland losing today, but it kind of spoiled what should have been a great tie. I'm glad that Germany came out on top in the end, as hopefully it'll encourage Portugal to go out and attack in their remaining two games. Surprised Ronaldo didn't see more of the ball, too. Every time they gave him the ball he looked dangerous, but he didn't seem to see as much of it as you'd expect from a player who is quite clearly Portugal's best (and arguably the best in the world).

Also, lol @ the English media and how much they hate Germany. The commentators here were saying that Hummels looked nervous despite him hardly putting a foot wrong all game and putting in some great tackles, and claiming that he was largely unproven despite his being one of the best players in Borussia Dortmund's last two title wins. Also, apparently Neuer's decision making is erratic despite him dealing with every single ball he went for and making a great save in the game's dying moments. :'D

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Thought it was really negative football from Portugal until they conceded. :/ It was a good defensive performance and I get that they figured getting a point against Germany would be enough after Holland losing today, but it kind of spoiled what should have been a great tie. I'm glad that Germany came out on top in the end, as hopefully it'll encourage Portugal to go out and attack in their remaining two games. Surprised Ronaldo didn't see more of the ball, too. Every time they gave him the ball he looked dangerous, but he didn't seem to see as much of it as you'd expect from a player who is quite clearly Portugal's best (and arguably the best in the world).

Also, lol @ the English media and how much they hate Germany. The commentators here were saying that Hummels looked nervous despite him hardly putting a foot wrong all game and putting in some great tackles, and claiming that he was largely unproven despite his being one of the best players in Borussia Dortmund's last two title wins. Also, apparently Neuer's decision making is erratic despite him dealing with every single ball he went for and making a great save in the game's dying moments. :'D
    They are just saying that about Neuer because of the one ball he watched hit the crossbar. Other than that did amazing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hummels was the man of the match. He performed admirably.

The English are still bitter about last WC. Among many other things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

The main problem Portugal have is that they lack goal, they have no reliable forward striker since I can't even remember when... if only they had someone like Benzema! And having to rely exclusively on Cristiano, and partially on Nani, both wingers, makes things very predictable and easy to defend. And it's not that their midfielders are blessed with an innate offensive talent either..

All in all, Portugal did a good match, had their (big) chances to score and who knows what would have happened after that. What Nélson Oliveira missed is unbelievable.

And Germany did what they had to do but was kind of disappointing, we saw nothing of their exuberance when attacking :/ It's true that perhaps this was the hardest rival in the group for Germany. Their future in the group should be more than clear now..
    Gomez has to be one of the luckiest strikers in the world. He barely touches the ball, he is more often than not completely isolated and seems to be either lost or playing a different sport than the rest of his friends Can't say I like him more than Klose

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

We seemed to lack ideas for how to attack, especially in the middle stretch of the game.

The Dutch defense likely won't be a stern challenge (not saying we can't lose, but both sides will score goals in that game methinks) so I hope it can get sorted before we play a team that will turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    Gomez has to be one of the luckiest strikers in the world. He barely touches the ball, he is more often than not completely isolated and seems to be either lost or playing a different sport than the rest of his friends Can't say I like him more than Klose
    I love Gomez right now, because he scored. But yeah, I agree with you here. He will also just bungle chances from time to time. Miro is one of my all time favourites. I mentioned it before but I'd love it if he was sent off into the sunset with a Euro title. He should get some minutes in this tournament, he's too magical not to imo.