Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Playstation 1 rpgs.

Thanks

Btw, what happened to the Breath of Fire franchise? After the "unusual" BoF: Dragon Quarter they just give up?

Thanks

Btw, what happened to the Breath of Fire franchise? After the "unusual" BoF: Dragon Quarter they just give up?
    i read Camelot (maker of the Shinning and Golden Sun series) is trying to buy it off Capcom seeing as Capcom isn't doing anything with it. i really loved the first 3 BoF games, not so much 4 or 5, but i would try it if a sixth one came about.

Btw, Megaman Legends is great.
    yay
    Last edited by deathzero021; 14th-January-2011 at 11:10.

Thanks

i read Camelot (maker of the Shinning and Golden Sun series) is trying to buy it off Capcom seeing as Capcom isn't doing anything with it. i really loved the first 3 BoF games, not so much 4 or 5, but i would try it if a sixth one came about.
    Thanks for the info. I hope that happens! My favorite BoF is the third one, after that, the franchise just go down. What suck about Dragon Quarter is the D-Counter. I mean, the coolest thing on BoF series is turn into a Dragon, but the game is so annoying about it, you can use your powers to much or is game over. \o/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Suikoden II
    FFT
    Suikoden I
    Xenogears
    Vandal Hearts II

Please visit my blog
    Sorry for my bad English

Thanks
    EP Points

Prolly... Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Legend of Mana [if it had more things, it'd be awesome] and probably BoF4, thanks to the great animations and effects and move learning/combination system <3

I wonder if Alundra Counts
    Last edited by yanazake; 14th-January-2011 at 22:56.

Thanks

i forgot to mention this game
    xenogear
    suikoden 2

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deathzero021 View Post
    That's interesting news. At least it won't die out like Xenosaga. BOF series was one of my first rpg's, so i'd be curious to see what direction it is taken into.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    Thanks for the info. I hope that happens! My favorite BoF is the third one, after that, the franchise just go down. What suck about Dragon Quarter is the D-Counter. I mean, the coolest thing on BoF series is turn into a Dragon, but the game is so annoying about it, you can use your powers to much or is game over. \o/
    Even the D-Counter wasn't that bad, since part of the game design expects that you'll restart every so often, and unlocks new scenes based on how many times you've done so. I'd play it through, but I loaned it to a friend a few years back and never saw it again. It's not their fault; it's that, well, I never saw them again.

Thanks

Even the D-Counter wasn't that bad, since part of the game design expects that you'll restart every so often, and unlocks new scenes based on how many times you've done so. I'd play it through, but I loaned it to a friend a few years back and never saw it again. It's not their fault; it's that, well, I never saw them again.
    Yeah... the guys tried reivent the game, but dont work so well =/

When the PS2 come out, i was expecting play BoF with new gen graphics and etc. But, instead that, come a completely different game. If not by the name, i would not know that was a Breath of Fire game.

If BoF 6 came out, i expect that follow the same style of the first 3 games. *-*

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm glad at least some discussion on Breath of Fire's gone on in this thread thus far. Breath of Fire III is a personal old favourite of mine, though I personally thought IV wasn't too bad either. BoF V just... well, it had some nice ideas, but it didn't work out too well, regrettably.

If I had to list my favourites top to bottom, it'd look like this, I suppose:

1. Final Fantasy VII - For several reasons. Despite that it's overrated, it's the game that got me hooked on RPGs, and it is still a fantastic game in my opinion (feel free to disagree, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'll just always like the game ).
    2. Final Fantasy IX - As one of the more underrated games out there. Great story, brilliant characters (Gotta love Steiner, and you want to hug Vivi for half of the game, never mind that he's an insanely powerful mage ), and one of the best-looking games the PS1 has ever seen.
    3. Breath of Fire III - Another fantastic RPG. As a dragon-fanatic, I picked this up one day, and it stuck. Forever. It might not be QUITE as good as FF7 and 9, but it comes bloody close.
    4. Breath of Fire IV - though I got the PC version, it's still quite a good RPG in its own right. Lacking in some aspects, granted, but I didn't think it was too bad.

I suppose my least favourite RPG on the PS1 would have to be Final Fantasy VIII - strange storyline with weird plot choices, a design on magic and summons that I personally disliked (though I'll grant that that's a personal opinion, you can love or hate it. I didn't like it. ), and a leveling system that, coupled with the magic/summon design was pretty much designed to break the game once you picked up proper knowledge about it. (Yay 100 tornado's at lvl 7 ).

What annoys me most is that some people try to argue that I should really suspend my disbelief about FF8's story. That's all well and good, but the weird plot choices don't make sense for the world of the game either, and then it's a bit tricky to hold on to that argument.

That's all from me, for now. Though, in closing, I'd like to echo Tsukasa's hope that, should there be a Breath of Fire VI, that it follows the style of the first three games.

Thanks

FF VI
    Parasite Eve (way to short though)
    FFVIII
    Tales of Phantasia

Thanks

@Lasharus

Yeah! I mean, BoF IV isn't bad (i beat the PC version, fully of bugs btw), it's just... after the 3 you expect a improviment. The story is cool, you playing with the "other side" of Ryu, but the 3 is better. But what pisses me off is the ramdom battle: in BoF 3, the scenary doesn't change for battles, you fight right where you are. But em IV changes T.T

And, let's hope for a BoF VI! And hope that one return to the old BoF times.

Btw, FF VII is good, but i prefer IX *-*

Thanks
    EP Points

persona 4 hands down lol. no other game for the ps2 made me laugh like that

Thanks

Breath of Fire III...too bad they never made any sequels.
    Final Fantasy VII AND IX, both excellent games...
    And one I haven't seen mentioned, Legend of Legaia, which was also really fun, I just beat it last month for the first time after playing the incredibly underwhelming sequel.

Thanks

YEAH! Legend of Legaia! The battle system is awesome! You can do different combos with the button combination... and the story is pretty cool too.

I remember of a tactical RPG called "Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth". Does anybody here have played? *-*