Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Been alternating between books from Baen's Free Library dating back to the Gold and Silver Ages of Sci-Fi, and Democracy In America by Alexis de Tocqueville. As the first real writer to go in depth in the peculiarities of the USA, it's actually a rather interesting read, and somewhat prescient in certain ways considering that he wrote it during the growth of Jacksonian democracy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Slowly but surely working my way through A Storm of Swords. Already bought a copy of A Feast for Crows in advance. So yeah, these should keep me busy for a while.
    ... I still haven't picked up A Clash of Kings. But they have the first four books available in a boxset at my work for 25% off. Might have to pick 'em up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    ... I still haven't picked up A Clash of Kings. But they have the first four books available in a boxset at my work for 25% off. Might have to pick 'em up.
    Go for it. I'm waiting for paperback of A Dance with Dragons, myself. I'd have picked up the e-book, but when I saw that it cost as much as the hardcover new...yeah, no. *shrug*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Go for it. I'm waiting for paperback of A Dance with Dragons, myself. I'd have picked up the e-book, but when I saw that it cost as much as the hardcover new...yeah, no. *shrug*
    I read A Game of Thrones and, for the most part, enjoyed it (it's very noticeably setting up the rest of the series, and I felt pretty much nothing happened in it until the last hundred pages or so). I've been meaning to pick up the rest of the series (I was probably just gonna grab 'em from the library), but I might end up buying these ones. I haven't bought a book in ages.

Also, e-books should never be hardcover prices. I could understand them being about $15 while only the hardcover is out, but not $30-$40. Although Amazon has the hardcover on for about half price at the moment.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 24th-September-2011 at 00:27.

Thanks

PKD's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    After the final TV episode of Star Trek DS9, I decided to look up the books that continue the series.

A Stitch in Time - Andrew J. Robinson
    This is something I've been looking to get at some point, read a few star trek novels, they tend to vary since they are written by various authors (there is a lot out there)

Something I've saved myself up for a while and I have a free evening tonight and a free day tomorrow is virgil's the aeneid. Should be interesting as I don't tend to read poetry.

Thanks
    EP Points

Reading the Annotated Legends. Really cool reading the Authors comments along with the story.

GO TASSLEHOFF GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Also finished Dance of Dragons a few days back, now to wait 6 years for the next one!

Thanks
    EP Points

I just finished The Last Patriot by Brad Thor. Not sure how I felt about it. Some of the philosophy relating not only to religion but hypocrisy in politics was interesting, and overall it was better than I expected it to be. But some of it seemed dumbed down to attract a larger audience, like the gunfights and the "tough guy" dialogue. It would be like: Harvath knew how to break a guy's arm to make him talk, so he said to the guy: "Hey, I know how to break a guy's arm to make him talk." I guess that isn't a bad idea if it gets the book more sales, but parts of it seemed a little corny in that respect. I just bought it because I thought the author's name sounded cool.

Thanks
    EP Points

If it counts, I've been reading C++ for dummies. I need to brush up on my programming skills.

Thanks
    EP Points

I started reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I can see the attraction of these books because there is such a fun, whimsical kind of lilt and good natured satirical edge to the writing style. I love the imagery and frankly, I think reading this may even be soothing my tormented mind a bit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I started reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I can see the attraction of these books because there is such a fun, whimsical kind of lilt and good natured satirical edge to the writing style. I love the imagery and frankly, I think reading this may even be soothing my tormented mind a bit.
    Yeah, I was shocked at how much I actually enjoyed the books when I picked them up two years ago. I wasn't expecting to like 'em at all.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Yeah, I was shocked at how much I actually enjoyed the books when I picked them up two years ago. I wasn't expecting to like 'em at all.
    J.K. Rowling seems like a bigger person than I am; and what I mean is that the writing has a kind of nurturing, good-humored wit about it. I feel like a lot of love went into those books.

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone think she may start another series with the kids of Harry/Ginny Ron/Hermoine? Money to be made yo.

Thanks
    EP Points

That actually would be cool. I had heard that a new Goonies movie was almost made under those auspices.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A Spell for Chameleon. Started on Antrax now.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.