Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Started on Murder in Cormyr.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but it is an absolutely fantastic book for any gamer and pop culture fan of the 80's. It was recently released on paperback, so it's much cheaper. If you haven't heard of it or read it, you can thank me later for giving you the heads up

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Is ready player one available on the nook/kindle yet?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by magicalflamingo View Post
    Is ready player one available on the nook/kindle yet?
    It's available on Kindle, but I'm not sure about Nook. Most likely, yes. It's also on audio book and is narrated by Wil Wheaton. I do know that the hard cover and paperback have a hidden easter egg in them that will take you to an online contest that has just recently started. Apparently the contest has 3 different "gates" (it ties in with the book), and whoever completes all 3 first will win a Delorean (also plays a huge part in the book).

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's cool!!!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Decided I needed to start reading in English again, as it had been something like four years since I read a novel in my native language. So what did I choose? War and Peace. Clearly opting to get back into novels in English with some easy reading.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Decided I needed to start reading in English again, as it had been something like four years since I read a novel in my native language. So what did I choose? War and Peace. Clearly opting to get back into novels in English with some easy reading.
    I envy you

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would recommend the 2001 series by Arthur C. Clarke. It's about man's encounter with aliens

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Finished The Great Game mentioned above, finished The Baltic by Alan Palmer. Funny, I bought it because I thought it was the history of the Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, Lietuva). No, it was a history of the Baltic Sea, so Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, and Russia all got included as well. C'est la vie. Actually, while I loved The Great Game, I found The Baltic to be very cursory. Very little analysis, very much summary...it reminded me of a high school text in that respect. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't what I was expecting in general. I suppose compressing the history of nine (modern; even more in the past) nations from prehistory to the modern day in around 400 pages is a little light, but even so, I was hoping for more. Very coffee table, I think, and I already have a coffee table history book (History in Quotations).

It was kinda funny seeing the Napoleonic Wars treated as a side-show, though. Because, you know, from a Baltic perspective, they really were. Some bloke in France goes cuckoo, invades Italy, Egypt, Spain, Germany, Austria, Russia all in succession, but the only *really* important part that happened to the Baltic due to that war was the post-war reorganization of Poland and Sweden's varying vicissitudes (losing Pommerania to Prussia and Finland to Russia, but gaining Norway and a new king in exchange...which I suppose Norway and Finland would argue are kinda significant, but whatev'). Other than that, it only set the stage for future events.

Thanks

Now that I have to wait another year for HBO's Game of Thrones, I decided to buy the books. Finished the second and now on Storm of Swords. I always thought it was weird how in the show they jump from character to character, but the bo0k is exactly the same. Some get a few pages others get 1/3 of the bo0k. Anyways great read. Also reading Nietzches "Thoughts out of Season" <<-----that is my toilet read.
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Solbadude View Post
    Now that I have to wait another year for HBO's Game of Thrones, I decided to buy the books. Finished the second and now on Storm of Swords. I always thought it was weird how in the show they jump from character to character, but the bo0k is exactly the same. Some get a few pages others get 1/3 of the bo0k. Anyways great read. Also reading Nietzches "Thoughts out of Season" <<-----that is my toilet read.
    The books are much better than the show. Not that I don't like the show or anything. And yeah they do jump around a lot.

I also find....DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'VE READ ALL BOOKS - or don't care
    Spoiler warning:
    that there is a genuine lack of focus to the books, they just drag on - characters that have been around for awhile die and new ones take their place only to die as well. The guy just doesn't seem to have any final "plan" to the series it seems and jumps around from conspiracy to conspiracy, dirty schemes and shock value. I still like them and I guess they're well written grammatically but yeah no focus or game "plan" to it.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 2nd-August-2012 at 19:46.

Thanks
    EP Points

Critique of pure Reason-Kant

Thanks
    EP Points

Harry Potter. I've read it once (or twice) in my native language, this time I'm reading it in English, which is a lot "different". I feel like I'm reading another book.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

My mother borrowed a book from the library, which happens to be "Harry Potter en die Halfbloed Prins." (if the sentence doesn't make sense, English is my second language)
    It's Afrikaans, so in English it must be "Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince" and now I finally know more than four things about Harry Potter
    HP: 454 / 1816

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

About halfway through MiC, I've been pacing myself to enjoy the book more.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.