Thread: JTAG related info

Thanks
    EP Points

Default JTAG related info

I think it's about time I cover this, I've been putting it off for too long.

You can read a lot more in depth about everything I'll have mentioned here:
    http://free60.org/Main_Page

* What is JTAG?
    Basically, if your 360 is exploitable, you solder into it and allow yourself to reflash the onboard memory (NAND) with a custom version which allows homebrew to run.

* Why would I want to JTAG?
    There is no reason not to really, if your 360 is exploitable you should go ahead and do it. Why?
    Because you can then: Get downloadable content for free (DLC and XBLA games) you can play games that are out of your own region (Say NTSC-J games). You can run emulators, custom dashboards, homebrew, the possibilities are endless.

* Won't I get banned from Live if I do that?
    Yes JTAGs get banned from Live within a few hours of connecting, so I wouldn't even bother. I'd just sell the keyvault to someone that hosts modded lobbies for Modern Warfare 2 for like 70$.

* So how do I know if my 360 is JTAGable?
    If your 360 was made before July 2009 and has this dashboard version:

Then it is more than likely JTAGable.
    * If your 360 was made before June 18th 2009 and has 7371 dashboard you should be good to go.
    * If your 360 was made after June 2009 and has 7371 you're out of luck, because MS patched the CB on newer models shipped out with the 7371 dash.

* So I have an exploitable dashboard version, how do I JTAG it?
    http://free60.org/SMC_Hack

* Do I have to re-flash my NAND every time MS updates the dashboard version?
    You don't have to right away, but once they start releasing games requiring the latest version you will have to upgrade otherwise you won't be able to play them. Reflashing the NAND is easy, you just need a backup NAND image made with Flash360 and a little bit of sense...
    Last edited by Inferno.; 7th-August-2011 at 03:51.