Thread: Okami for the Wii

Thanks

i was at my local EB buying Super Smash Bros. Brawl, when one of the employees working the register asked me "have you heard of Okami?" i said "yeah, why?" & he said "well, they're remaking it for the Wii. hopefully it'll come out some time this year." he said that the Wii version was going to utilize the motion sensitivity in one key way: the paintbrush. all the brush strokes you make with the Wii-mote will be how you do the painting in-game. at that i thought ----strongbad: i thought this little tid bit would interest all those hard-core Okami fans out there (which i am one of)

uh-oh. meant for this to be under Free 4 All. if an admin could move this post, that'd be great
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 17th-March-2008 at 20:16. Reason: please, don't double post, use the EDIT button.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... not screaming like his passengers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Please, make your thread in the right section of the forums, try to get used to the forums to know where to open them before doing it
    Moved to General Gaming.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I for one am not excited. Think of the Wii games that have required precise movements already, like Cooking Mama or Trauma Center. They kinda suck. So we're looking at a straight port that will hurt one of the better aspects of the game. And Capcom has flat out said unless Okami for the Wii sells a crapload there will be no Okami 2 So yeah, I'm just crossing my fingers that they don't ruin the game...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

I'm looking forward to this game, it looks amazing. (visually of course)
    I never even heard of the game until like a year or two ago when I sold my PS2. (I couldn't stay interested in it, I mainly bought it for Kingdom Hearts anyway) I'm also hearing good things about this port from major gaming sites such as IGN and stuff. Can't wait!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I for one am not excited. Think of the Wii games that have required precise movements already, like Cooking Mama or Trauma Center. They kinda suck. So we're looking at a straight port that will hurt one of the better aspects of the game. And Capcom has flat out said unless Okami for the Wii sells a crapload there will be no Okami 2 So yeah, I'm just crossing my fingers that they don't ruin the game...
    It's a little presumptuous to assume that moving the painting controls over to the Wii is going to hurt the port, especially when you're comparing games from two different companies to make your case. You imply that it's a problem inherent in the Wii remote itself, but given that other developers seem to have a handle on precision controls (See RE4 Wii Edition and Zack and Wiki for examples...), you can't point at a couple of missteps in order to make a case against this port.

Anyway, it's not as if the painting controls in the PS2 version were all that precise themselves to begin with. The game never really required precision though, so it wasn't any big deal. I don't think it's going to be one now with the Wii port.

Ready at Dawn is a talented development house. They've handled ports of and have developed sequels to several high-profile titles and have released them to great success. They'd really have to screw the pooch in order to fuck this one up. I for one have faith in them.

Thanks

Meh, unless the original Clover Studios members are involved, and by members I mean (mainly) Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya, this is nothing but another port from the Capcom port machine.

I remember reading an article just when the PS2 version was going to come out that Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya tried out the Wii and saying that the Wii isn't really suitable for the game, saying there is more to the game than just the paint brushes, and that the so called innovative controls really isn't necessary, so there it is straight from the horses mouth, that shut the Nintendrones up, too bad I can't find the link anymore, knowing now that the gaming industry would take a turn for the worst I would've saved it. the site had a yellow background, with a rather catchy logo at the top left, and no it wasn't Kotaku. So if anyone knows it, post it here.

And an Okami title without Inaba AND!!! Kamiya at the helm is just sinful. Stupid, it's like a MGS game without Kojima and Shinkawa. Or a Square-Enix title involving Ivalice without Matsuno and Sakimoto. Or going to a Pink Floyd concert without Roger Waters and David Gilmour. But whatever right! motion Controls!!!! Innovation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Heiji1412 View Post
    Meh, unless the original Clover Studios members are involved, and by members I mean (mainly) Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya, this is nothing but another port from the Capcom port machine.

I remember reading an article just when the PS2 version was going to come out that Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya tried out the Wii and saying that the Wii isn't really suitable for the game, saying there is more to the game than just the paint brushes, and that the so called innovative controls really isn't necessary, so there it is straight from the horses mouth, that shut the Nintendrones up, too bad I can't find the link anymore, knowing now that the gaming industry would take a turn for the worst I would've saved it. the site had a yellow background, with a rather catchy logo at the top left, and no it wasn't Kotaku. So if anyone knows it, post it here.

And an Okami title without Inaba AND!!! Kamiya at the helm is just sinful. Stupid, it's like a MGS game without Kojima and Shinkawa. Or a Square-Enix title involving Ivalice without Matsuno and Sakimoto. Or going to a Pink Floyd concert without Roger Waters and David Gilmour. But whatever right! motion Controls!!!! Innovation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Setting aside all the silly, thinly-veiled, and totally irrelevant anti-Nintendo rhetoric in your post, while you're not wrong about it being yet another port out of the port machine, if you stop approaching it in an overly cynical mindset for a couple of minutes and really think about it, this particular port doesn't exactly scream "Cash-in!". Does re-releasing a game that hardly anyone gave a fuck about the first time out really scream "cash-grab" to you? If anything it's more of an attempt to introduce this great game to a wider audience than it enjoyed during its run on the PS2.

So when you're looking for that little blurb that you're relying on to "shut the Nintendrones up", which of course is worthless in light of a shit-ton of relevant points to have popped up between when that statement was made and today, why don't you go ahead and read up on how people were calling for a Wii port of this game back when it was released on the PS2? Then consider that perhaps on top of trying to get a good game the recognition it deserved the first time out, that perhaps Capcom is giving gamers what they have wanted since the game was first released.

Oh, I don't doubt that money is a motivator, even in a venture as unsure as an Okami re-release, but maybe it's not all down to that after all.

Oh, and by the way Google Ready at Dawn while you're at it. They're in charge of the port, and their track record speaks well of the chances that this port will turn out to be something worth looking into.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 18th-March-2008 at 05:48.