EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Penny! View Post
    For me, he will always be the EA promo guy. ^__^
    That's not David Hayter though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pelger View Post
    japanese voice acting is always superior to half-assed english voice acting
    I'm curious as to whether you actually understand Japanese? I'm only asking because I know that it took me several years of study before I could really tell the difference between good Japanese voice work and bad, and before that I used to say exactly the same thing as you.

As far as I'm concerned, half-assed Japanese voice work is just as bad as half-assed English. It's just that one stands out to you more than the other. You can hear the worst Japanese voice tracks and they still won't stand out to you as much as even an only kinda iffy English one. Not that I'm saying that Japanese voice acting in games is, at its lowest points, as bad as English. It's quite simply not. There's generally a lot more money put behind it, and I've never played anything that's anywhere near as hateful and unprofessional as the English dubs of stuff like Star Ocean 2 and Shining Force 3. If companies aren't willing to put in the effort, they should leave the Japanese track alone, or rip it out altogether. Doing otherwise is actually a detriment to the game as a whole.

Still, I don't think that the best examples of Japanese voice acting are any better than the best of English voice acting. And, hypocritical though it may be since I once believed as much myself, suggesting that all Japanese language tracks are superior to all English ones just seems a little ignorant to me. There's plenty of great English dubs, and plenty of pretty poor Japanese ones.

That being said, I must admit that I, too, would always take the Japanese track of anything Japanese over an English dub. Not because I think it's always better, but simply because it's what was originally intended. Just as I wouldn't want to watch something like Monsters Inc. dubbed into Japanese as anything more than a curiousity, I don't really like playing or watching foreign stuff that's dubbed into English unless there's no other choice. Ignoring the fact that the voices are often radically different, giving you a totally different impression of certain characters, and overlooking the fact that baffling changes are sometimes made (I still think that changing 'thank you' to 'I love you' in Final Fantasy X's ending was a horrible, horrible idea...), it's quite simply very difficult to stay true to the source material in a dub. It's necessary to fit the English script to Japanese mouth movements, and sometimes simply not possible to end up with anything that's even near the original line. Regardless of the quality of the two voice tracks, and my familiarity with the two languages in question, when it comes to foreign media, I always prefer a closer, text-based translation with the original audio track.

The one exception, I guess, is Kingdom Hearts. Simply because hearing SquEnix characters speaking English is a lot less odd to me than hearing Disney characters speaking Japanese. I played Kingdom Hearts II in Japanese, and felt, for the most part, as if I was playing a game that had been translated from English. Even though the Japanese track was actually very good, and most of the Disney characters sounded amazingly close to their English counterparts, it was simply too strange an experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I also can't really tell a difference in emotions with the Japanese voices.
    Really? I've always found that emotion comes through pretty much the same in any language. If anything, I find it easier to read well-acted emotion in a language that I don't understand than poorly-conveyed emotion in one that I do. Awful English dubs mess me up much more than languages I don't know. I find that any emotional connection I might have had to the characters is instantly severed by the horrible acting, and anything the characters say just passes through me completely, even if I understand every word. Naturally that's not the case with a good dub, like that of the MGS series, but...

Thanks

I don't really care. I'm used to having 4 discs for rgp's, so if they made two blu rays, big fucking deal.

Just was surprised how massive this game is. Blu ray holds a lot of data and MGS surpassed it. Just hope it lives up to its hype.
    -= PSN Name is StellarSublime =-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I've never heard of anyone who prefered english dubs over subtitles. Has the acting quality increased in recent years? Been a while for me... Incredibly, though, spanish-dubbed anime has always been of good quality for me.
    For me, he will always be the EA promo guy. ^__^

Add: I wish my little brother would learn english already. He can't even appreciate FFXII, and MGS3's spanish subtitles are not all that good. Don't you think so cookie?
    Traduttore, traditore :

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    That's not David Hayter though.
    He is! :O! They said so in that interview! Which I can't bother finding on Google, y'know...

Cookie: Why, yes! Yes, indeed...

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

He is! :O! They said so in that interview! Which I can't bother finding on Google, y'know...

Cookie: Why, yes! Yes, indeed...
    Nope! It's by a guy named Andrew Anthony. Listen to this.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh, Kojima, you so crazy.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0 View Post
    Oh, Kojima, you so crazy.
    Well, how did you think he came up with the MGS2 storyline?

Thanks

Some soldier in the cia took acid?
    -= PSN Name is StellarSublime =-