Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School

Thanks

Generally, if you think school isn't the place for you, it probably isn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkibowl View Post
    Generally, if you think school isn't the place for you, it probably isn't.
    Wow, this is probably the most idiotic statement I've seen in this thread.

I'd say a vast majority of kids don't want to be in school.

LESS GIT RID UF SKOOL, KAY!
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pelger View Post
    if anybody knows about a use for that kind of maths either in computers or in the real world,please tell me.
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_13/2.html

Thanks

I was about 2 years ahead of my class until 7th grade. Then, I had a seizure that neatly KO'ed the portion of my brain that readily absorbed mathematical formulas (I could still learn new formulas; It was just a lot harder to do so). Had they actually bothered presenting challenges to my mind prior to that, my math skills might not be limited to advanced algebra (not that it matters. No one seems to be able to tell me what the hell trigonometry is anyways, and statistics is ultimately educated guesses).

Ultimately, school is a necessity. It's a place to learn much more about the world than you would sitting at home. The only problem? It always seems that no one around you there is actually interested in learning anything and is far more interested in beating the living crap out of you for being smarter than them (seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? Are they explicitely told by their parents to beat the crap out of anyone different?).

Thanks
    EP Points

ha,at least....I guess this quote from the article states the problem:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. well,it has an use after all. the problem is they teach you it in an abstract way,without telling you what's the purpose of that kind of maths,so the student keeps wondering "why do I have to learn this crap anyway?".
    now,knowing it has an use,is a different thing,BUT,the problem of "I'm not going to work with something related to it so I don't need it" is still there at least for me.
    I bet even the teachers don't know an use for the maths they teach (unless they know electronics I guess).
    in any case,it would be a very different thing if they told you the first day of class,"this is used on this and that",you won't have the feeling that you are being bored to death with useless bullshit,at least you would know "ha,I'll need this if I'm going to learn electronics" or whatever other uses it may have).

ps: ok,it has an use,but why do they torture you with doing the proofs of the theorems [something the guy whose name the theorem has already did centuries ago] instead of just telling you "if a function is continious,it's derivable" (I know there is at least one exeption but I can't remember the name of that particular function,and I don't care anyway).
    Last edited by thx4allthefish; 6th-March-2008 at 17:56.
    nothing

Thanks

We all hate school while studing. But we miss it during the work hours.

Thanks
    EP Points

Chemical engineering, especially P-chem, uses a lot of partial derviatives and integrals. In doing mass and energy balances, differential equations can be used to solve a lot of problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad View Post
    School isn't a waste of time unless you are doing what I am doing. I barely ever show up. If I keep that up I will fail. Gotta go to school from now on.
    I heard failing your classes before you try to transfer is a good idea.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pelger View Post
    ps: ok,it has an use,but why do they torture you with doing the proofs of the theorems [something the guy whose name the theorem has already did centuries ago] instead of just telling you "if a function is continious,it's derivable" (I know there is at least one exeption but I can't remember the name of that particular function,and I don't care anyway).
    Because school isn't just supposed to tell you what to think, but also to tell you how to think. The ability to prove theorems in mathematics requires analytical thinking, recognition of patterns (especially in higher order differential systems of equations, most of which are otherwise unsolvable), and the ability to express cognition in an easily-followed, linear chain of events. All of these are very useful, even if you won't necessarily be asked to rederive Keplerian equations of motion from Newtonian motion in a heliocentric frame of reference in the real world.

Well, I think they'd rather you express it as "teach you how to think" rather than "tell", but...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maya_Amano View Post
    We all hate school while studing. But we miss it during the work hours.
    Hahaha so true, so true. Probably doesn't happen as much in university or not at all but god dam bullies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flamingcowpie View Post
    Hahaha so true, so true. Probably doesn't happen as much in university or not at all but god dam bullies
    Kick their asses. Especially if you are in middle school or under.

If you are too weak to take them out, take some lessons

If it's in self defense, the administrators should go real lenient on you. That's how it worked for me at least. And, if you have the size disadvantage, then you have two things working for you.

You boast your intelligence, so let's see some real world problem solving

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Kruthas View Post
    If it's in self defense, the administrators should go real lenient on you. That's how it worked for me at least.
    That's not something you can rely on. Many schools now have taken the easy route and simply slam everyone involved in a fight, reasons or not.

And then there's dealing with the type of bully who takes retaliation as a cue to up the ante.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    That's not something you can rely on. Many schools now have taken the easy route and simply slam everyone involved in a fight, reasons or not.

And then there's dealing with the type of bully who takes retaliation as a cue to up the ante.
    Yeah, I suppose. But, still, if he's in middle school or under the worst he will get is a suspension. At least, that's how it is around here. And, unless his parents are completely unsympathetic, they should understand the situation at least somewhat.

I don't think that a middle school bully could up the ante by too much. Either way, bullies always pissed me off, and I got in to a whooole lot of fights when I was in middle school/elementary school. Then again, I grew up in a pretty rough area...

One time, I got suspended because a bully was starting crap with me, so I kicked his ass. I asked the principal what he suggested I do next time a bully is pushing me and threatening me on the playground, and he told me to not fight and wait for help from a teacher. When my dad found out he said that, he came in and told the principal he was going to hypothetically jump over his desk and start beating the shit out of him, and he had better wait for the cops to come and not do anything until they got there. It was priceless.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Culise View Post
    Because school isn't just supposed to tell you what to think, but also to tell you how to think. The ability to prove theorems in mathematics requires analytical thinking, recognition of patterns (especially in higher order differential systems of equations, most of which are otherwise unsolvable), and the ability to express cognition in an easily-followed, linear chain of events. All of these are very useful, even if you won't necessarily be asked to rederive Keplerian equations of motion from Newtonian motion in a heliocentric frame of reference in the real world.

Well, I think they'd rather you express it as "teach you how to think" rather than "tell", but...
    they force you to memorize stuff,if you change a little bit,they don't like it. they don't teach you how to think,they teach you how to "don't think,just repeat what we say and what we want to hear".
    nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post

yeah dude... i was in high school not too long ago, and around here at least theres a whole "zero tolerance policy" thing.... meaning that whoever was involved in any form of fighting gets suspended. unless you stand / lay there and let them beat the crap out of you.

then you might get away with it.