Thread: Question about ripping Dreamcast burns with DiscJuggler

Thanks

Default Question about ripping Dreamcast burns with DiscJuggler

When attempting to rip a previously burned DC game to CDI, I get the message, "The structure of the disc you are burning appears to be invalid and could generate write errors. Would you like DiscJuggler to try to fix this?". I read somewhere that these errors are intentional in Dreamcast rips, so I selected "No". However, once I burned the resulting CDI and tested it in the DC, it was recognized as an audio CD. The source disc works fine. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by clownb View Post
    When attempting to rip a previously burned DC game to CDI, I get the message, "The structure of the disc you are burning appears to be invalid and could generate write errors. Would you like DiscJuggler to try to fix this?". I read somewhere that these errors are intentional in Dreamcast rips, so I selected "No". However, once I burned the resulting CDI and tested it in the DC, it was recognized as an audio CD. The source disc works fine. Am I doing something wrong?
    Whenever DJ asks to fix the image, say no. Now, as far as ripping, it should be fine with all the default settings. I rip at 8x, but I'm not sure speed has any effect on accuracy when ripping. I assume you are ripping a selfboot game, since the problem is the copy won't boot...

I don't recommend DJ for burning, even CDI images. Alcohol 120% handled DJ images better than DJ does. I always use RAW/DAO and burn at the slowest speed possible (preferably 8X or slower).

What game is it, by the way? I have a handful of games that are real bitches to copy...

Thanks

The game is Sega Bass Fishing 2. It is kind of scratched up and on bad media, so I was wanting to replace it. There were no read errors while ripping it and I did burn it in Alcohol with RAW/DAO.

By the way, how many posts do I need to access Sprung's Dreamcast Server?

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

You should have enough now.

You might have to wait a little while before you get access even though you have enough posts.

Thanks
    EP Points

The game is Sega Bass Fishing 2. It is kind of scratched up and on bad media, so I was wanting to replace it. There were no read errors while ripping it and I did burn it in Alcohol with RAW/DAO.

By the way, how many posts do I need to access Sprung's Dreamcast Server?
    I don't remember having trouble with that particular game...nothing comes to mind, anyway...

The scratches and the media brand might have something to do with it. Does the master copy play well in a DC? If not, then it might be too far gone to get a good copy of.

20 posts to access the server. You'll have to wait about 45 minutes or so for the forum to refresh the permissions settings, then you're good to go

Thanks

Well, it was working the other day. Now the master copy won't even boot. I suspect the DC itself is on its last leg, but other games are booting, so as you said, the disc is likely shot, at least too much for a struggling laser to keep up with. I am desperate to replace this however, since I just acquired the DC fishing rod controller. Now it is seeming it may be only a matter of time before the DC itself needs replacing.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, it was working the other day. Now the master copy won't even boot. I suspect the DC itself is on its last leg, but other games are booting, so as you said, the disc is likely shot, at least too much for a struggling laser to keep up with. I am desperate to replace this however, since I just acquired the DC fishing rod controller. Now it is seeming it may be only a matter of time before the DC itself needs replacing.
    You could try a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol and a qtip on the laser...maybe get any debris/gunk off it and make a difference. You might get lucky

Thanks

Okay, my "faulty" reburn just booted, so this is looking more like a hardware problem, which is an even sadder issue altogether. I can't live without a Dreamcast. Have you ever tried this laser calibration trick?

Heh, I tried cleaning the laser just the other day.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, my "faulty" reburn just booted, so this is looking more like a hardware problem, which is an even sadder issue altogether. I can't live without a Dreamcast. Have you ever tried this laser calibration trick?

Heh, I tried cleaning the laser just the other day.
    I've never had to do anything with the laser on my DC, so I don't know how effective the calibration trick is. I think we had an FAQ on it for a while, but it might have been lost in our huge server crash of 06

I always dust my consoles with compressed air once or twice a month, and I think that has a lot to do with the longivity of my DC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    I've never had to do anything with the laser on my DC, so I don't know how effective the calibration trick is. I think we had an FAQ on it for a while, but it might have been lost in our huge server crash of 06

I always dust my consoles with compressed air once or twice a month, and I think that has a lot to do with the longivity of my DC.
    Thanks for the support. I have a link to the calibration trick and may try that if the DC stops reading anything at all. If that doesn't work, I'll have to seek out a used 'cast and pray it works better than this one.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the support. I have a link to the calibration trick and may try that if the DC stops reading anything at all. If that doesn't work, I'll have to seek out a used 'cast and pray it works better than this one.
    No problem Hopefully you won't have to go shopping for a new one any time soon...

Thanks

Sprung, the Sega Bass Fishing 2 image I got from you works flawlessly with a 100% boot rate so far. I trashed the other defective copies and can finally put this mess behind me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    No problem Hopefully you won't have to go shopping for a new one any time soon...
    What, no shameless self plugs?
    joking

Sprung, the Sega Bass Fishing 2 image I got from you works flawlessly with a 100% boot rate so far. I trashed the other defective copies and can finally put this mess behind me.
    glad to hear you got it working
    12/26/07-Never Forget
    PM me if you know what that is in regards to

Thanks
    EP Points

Awesome