Thread: I just bought a Super Wild Card (SMS3201)

Thanks

Default I just bought a Super Wild Card (SMS3201)

Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone here can help me, I'm new here & this is my first post.
    I just recently bought a Super Wild Card off of eBay with a couple of roms/floppy disks, & I have been downloading SNES roms to play for it & they work fine, the only problem is that I can't play any game that goes over
    1.44mb & all the games I mostly want to play are over that amount,
    My questions are Can I split a rom up into 2 or 3 parts & put them on 2/3 disks? or Is there another way I can play games over 1.44mb using my Super Wild Card?

The SNES rom format that the Super Wild Card uses is .smc & I have a Super Wild Card SMS3201, I hear the best one to get is the newer DX version but I couldn't find that anywhere. I would be really grateful of any help people can give me, I know I could just play these games on my SNES emulator but I love my SNES console : )

Thanks

splitting the file itself isn't hard but getting the snes to read data from 3 separate disks is another matter entirely.
    does this...Super Wild Card...support zip files? HC Floppies?
    if so u could compress the rom to .zip and put it on a 2.something Megabyte HC floppy

rar files can be split simply by using winrar to compress the files and selecting the option to split the file into 1.44 Meg parts.
    but i highly doubt SWC supports rar let alone reading a single game from multiple discs that isn't naturally a multidisk/cartridge game...

Welcome to EP BTW!
    Last edited by Tayls; 3rd-January-2008 at 15:47.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

It's been a while since I used my Wildcard, but yes you can split roms over multiple discs, you then load them one at a time. The wildcard will prompt you to insert the next disc, and so on until all the necessary discs are loaded.

It's the same principle for backing up carts that wont fit on one disc, the wildcard prompts you to continue inserting discs until the cart is backed up. I think the most discs I used for one game, (SF2 Turbo) was four. Certain games need a specific cart in the snes before they will work, EG, different carts had different protection/chips etc.

I'm going from memory here, so I could be wrong...google for an app called Snestool, you can use that to split the roms to the required size and format to work in the wildcard.

All this depends on how much memory your wildcard has, eg. if it is only 24m, you wont be able to load 32m games.

Thanks

Thank you very much for your help Tayls & Jackhammer,
    I have downloaded SNESTool now & have managed to split up some of the roms I want to play, my SWC is a 24M I hope most SNES games aren't 32M is Super SF2 32M?

Thanks again : )

Thanks

hmm, try sfa2. that might be 32 megs tho.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
    my SWC is a 24M I hope most SNES games aren't 32M is Super SF2 32M?
    Most of the good games are 32M You're probably better off buying yourself a 32M are selling your 24M Wildcard back to eBay. You can't readily find Wildcards around anymore though. You can get a 32M Game Doctor from ToToTEK for $60-$70 shipped, depending on the model (don't get a SF3). Although splitting files for a Game Doctor can be a bitch. They also have a SNES flash card, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet. It can't be worse than a Game Doctor though
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you very much for your help Tayls & Jackhammer,
    I have downloaded SNESTool now & have managed to split up some of the roms I want to play, my SWC is a 24M I hope most SNES games aren't 32M is Super SF2 32M?

Thanks again : )
    The DX versions you mention are the best versions. I think there was 2, one had support for loading roms from cd/zip drive/hdd and was expandable to 96Mbits.

Like I've already mentioned, this is from memory, you'll find what you are looking for by googling DX Wildcard

Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks again your help Jackhammer, Ragnar, v|_@mé & Tayls

ToToTEK is a great website, I will have a look around for a DX SWC, I will have to make do with the games I can play on SWC SMS3201 & the ones I can't I will play on SNES emulator on my PC!

It would be so much better if they made a flash card for the SNES like the DS Lite's M3Simply : )

I have just found a DX SWC on the net, does anyone know if it will work on a Pal/UK SNES, here is the link (please delete link if this is not okay)

http://www.consolefever.com/customer...02f8311fa29f73
    Last edited by BillyG; 7th-January-2008 at 15:07.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks again your help Jackhammer, Ragnar, v|_@mé & Tayls

ToToTEK is a great website, I will have a look around for a DX SWC, I will have to make do with the games I can play on SWC SMS3201 & the ones I can't I will play on SNES emulator on my PC!

It would be so much better if they made a flash card for the SNES like the DS Lite's M3Simply : )

I have just found a DX SWC on the net, does anyone know if it will work on a Pal/UK SNES, here is the link (please delete link if this is not okay)

http://www.consolefever.com/customer...02f8311fa29f73
    compatible with NTSC SNES/SFC units
    If it's the same as my old wildcard, It wont work on a PAL machine without some form of modification.

I have an NTSC wildcard, it doesn't work on a standard PAL Snes. There are two methods I am aware of to make it work. (keep in mind this is for a 32m same model as yours)

1:Take a chip from a PAL Snes cart and solder it into the Wildcard. (You'll have to google for exact details, bad memory. )
    2: You can have a region switch fitted to the Snes (50/60Hz) that allows you to use NTSC carts and Wildcards.

The easiest option would be to buy an NTSC Snes, they are noticeably better than a PAL machine, you can always buy a converter for any PAL carts you might want to keep.

Thanks

Ok I neeeeed help......I have the super wild card 32m, I recently dusted it off....I.split the game roms, but the trouble im having is the first split doesnt prompt for the other split??? I use to do this back in the day, im.using windows 8 and have no other computer... sooo...what do I do, and snestool wont open in.windows 8 even when going through admin., but I managed to find another snes splitter....help

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by KarateZen1971 View Post
    Ok I neeeeed help......I have the super wild card 32m, I recently dusted it off....I.split the game roms, but the trouble im having is the first split doesnt prompt for the other split??? I use to do this back in the day, im.using windows 8 and have no other computer... sooo...what do I do, and snestool wont open in.windows 8 even when going through admin., but I managed to find another snes splitter....help

We are a bit more lenient on necro posting now, but seven years would be a bit too lenient.

Please make a new thread.