Thread: Is it me or...

Thanks

Default Is it me or...

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the ISO in bigger files rather than split in a dozen small chunks ? I sort of understand that a few years ago network connections were not as good and splitting a CD ISO in 50Mbytes chunks made sense, but nowadays its sort of a pain to have to download 40 files to get FFVIII running...
    Or did I miss a much simpler way to download the files?

Thanks
    EP Points

if you are downloading from the main site,use getright and queue all the files.
    if you are downloading from the forums,the point is this:
    if you are downloading a big file and for some reason megaupload or rapidshare or whatever fails or the connection fails,you lose everything,and losing 450 of 500 mb is not a fun thing,but if you are getting it in 50mb parts,you'll lose just the last one,not the whole thing.
    besides,hosting sites have file size limitations.
    nothing

Thanks
    EP Points

It also still makes sense, seeing as not everyone has highspeed.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sharing over bittorrent it makes no sense.

But for every other means of downloading it does make sense.

Plus, it's really difficult to right click on the first part and click extract here, isn't it?

Thanks

I would say the main reason for it being if for some unknown reasons a file of your download gets corrupted, you don't have to download the whole thing again, rather just re-download that same file and let winrar extract it

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Sharing over bittorrent it makes no sense.

But for every other means of downloading it does make sense.

Plus, it's really difficult to right click on the first part and click extract here, isn't it?
    it's actually the same reason, if there is a corrupt file then it can easily be replaced in a small chunk.

Thanks

its also easier on uploaders, if im uploading a file and it craps out at 90% but its only a 50 mb part its no big deal but if it was a 500 mb file i wouldn't be bothered trying again.

Thanks

Hadn't thought about the file size limit on hosting sites I must admit... Guess I'll try to use getright to make downloading less troublesome. Thanks for the tip.