Thread: Question about roms and different regions

Thanks

Default Question about roms and different regions

Hey guys,

So most of the files that you offer on this site have so far been in English, but I think FF4 is a Japanese rom (IN japanese maybe? Idk cuz I'm still downloading) and I've found on one of the affiliate sites (Romulation) that they have different file names, and perhaps each letter representing the different region.

An example of what I'm talking about would be:

007 - The World Is Not Enough (U)(NTSC) [SLUS_012.72]
    Ace Combat 2 (E)(PAL)[SCES-00699]

I'm GUESSING that U = United States, E= Europe, and I already know what PAL and NTSC is, but what if there are different abbreviations, say off of a torrent site or something similar?

Could someone explain what the different regions are, and just some general guidelines to knowing how to differentiate an English game from a Japanese one without downloading a 200+mb file?

Thanks

A japanese game would be something like
    007 - The World Is Not Enough (J)(NTSC) [Don't Know this Part] . . . basically it's pretty self explanatory. From my experiences with a swap trick (think you're the one who posted a video on swap tricks on PS2) PAL games won't work all that well. Then again I've only tried it on psone swap trick. But in emulators it will work fine, of course.
    [

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If we upload the japanese version of a game we state it in the download page since there's no way to tell it's region before getting it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    If we upload the japanese version of a game we state it in the download page since there's no way to tell it's region before getting it.
    Well like the FF4 game I mentioned, it has (J) in parentheses, and the description says its a 'rare Japanese import.' S'all good, I'll just play it on the SNES with a translation, same effect. But the only reason that this reason question popped up is going to that other site that has Pal and Non-US games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Crow View Post
    A japanese game would be something like
    007 - The World Is Not Enough (J)(NTSC) [Don't Know this Part] . . . basically it's pretty self explanatory. From my experiences with a swap trick (think you're the one who posted a video on swap tricks on PS2) PAL games won't work all that well. Then again I've only tried it on psone swap trick. But in emulators it will work fine, of course.
    The part in brackets, the [slus_120384] is the game's unique identifying number, the GameID. SLUS = US, SCES = Europe, the PAL system. Not sure what the specifics are, but you can Google that.

And yea, I posted the video on swap method for burned PSX on PS2, and I'm HOPING PAL would work, cuz that'd be awesome. And yea I would use an emulator, but I don't have the hard drive capacity to save all my images. It's easier to burn a CD for me and play on my nice big TV, not have to worry about my crappy game pad or configuration or anything.
    Last edited by l337killa07; 18th-October-2007 at 02:08.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Uh, isn't FF4 harder in Japanese, or is that a special version?

Could explain why we're hosting it, I know nothing about the site.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by See Her Pee View Post
    Uh, isn't FF4 harder in Japanese, or is that a special version?

Could explain why we're hosting it, I know nothing about the site.
    Well FF4 was like FF 3 or something for us....idk there was a big confusion about the diff versions of the game and the conversion into its US equivalents.

I'll just try it out and see how it goes.

Just a question, would I be able to apply any patch (translation) to the game BEFORE I burn it? Or are patches like that only applicable to emulators?

*EDIT* I just loaded FF4 into my emulator, and it is indeed in Japanese, and not to mention the controls are opposite (I had to configure up to be down, and vice-versa, weird huh?)

Any info on the patching?
    Last edited by l337killa07; 18th-October-2007 at 02:55.