Thread: Opeth

Thanks

Default Opeth

Anyone listen to them, heard of them, or can play any of their songs? If so, whats your fav. song/album. Ever seen them in concert? When and where?

My friend Luis introduced me to them in my Junior year of high school, a little over 3 years ago. The first song he told me to listen to was either Patterns in the Ivy or The Grand Conjuration, I can't remember which. When I went to download it, I accidentally downloaded Patterns in the Ivy II, which is off the special edition of Blackwater Park, so the first thing I heard was his amazing vocals. I fell in love with Michael's amazing singing voice, and his just as equally amazing death metal growls. I loved how they can switch from acoustic to electric guitar more than once in a song, and how songs aren't the typical 5 minute format, with 3 verses, and 2 repetitions of the chorus.

Fav. songs include, but not limited to:
    The Drapery Falls
    Demon of the Fall
    Patterns in the Ivy I & II
    Death Whispered a Lullaby (which puts me to sleep)
    Benighted
    To Rid the Disease (The first song I learned how to play)
    Ghost of Perdition
    And a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have most of the albums downloaded, with a few just missing one or 2 songs, and I've never really listened to any one album start to finish (which I know I should), but my fav would have to be Ghost Reveries, although the most interesting album would have to be Still Life, the whole concept of Melinda and how the entire album revolves around a story.

*EDIT*

In case anyone DOES listen to them, I found a hilarious video about the "Misheard lyrics" of Ghost of Perdition....it made me cry, both out of insult to the wonder of the song, and the hilarity of the 'misheard' lyrics.

Here's the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FH1OreH6o9c
    Last edited by l337killa07; 23rd-October-2007 at 13:16. Reason: Added Video

Thanks

I was once this board's biggest fan. I've seen them twice, and they're good, but it's pretty much like listening to their records with Mikael being a dickhead inbetween.

Favourite album is My Arms, Your Hearse.

Thanks

I was at the beer garden when they where playing in Wacken 2006. Used to love the band but not too much now. Favourite album has to be Still Life with classics like The Moor, Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster.

Thanks

Saw them with Paradise Lost, it was an awesome gig. I love them, but over-listening can ruin them for people.

Thanks

They're pretty good. Different enough to garner attention, but I find that many people (and the "metal" media) overhype their music and generally treat them like they belong in the same tier as Maiden, Priest and Motorhead.

If they're as influential in 20 years as those 3, then I'll accept the praise they get.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've seen them with paradise lost in birmingham last year, totally awesome, I haven't listened to any of my Opeth albums in a while, I will have to save up and have a nice session.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    They're pretty good. Different enough to garner attention, but I find that many people (and the "metal" media) overhype their music and generally treat them like they belong in the same tier as Maiden, Priest and Motorhead.

If they're as influential in 20 years as those 3, then I'll accept the praise they get.
    I haven't heard anyone catagorize them with Maiden or Priest or Motorhead, nor can they be classified with them. You're comparing a progressive rock/metal band to pure metal/rock bands. Its like comparing black and white.

And they've been around 17 years, thats a long time to be together. They'll still be around in the next 10 years, easily.

And I didn't start this thread to compare them to other bands, I just wanted to find other fans. I have no intention to group them with Maiden or any other founding bands like that, but they have started their own genre and are doing their own thing, and hopefully in the next 20 years there will be bands that cite THEM as an influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I was once this board's biggest fan. I've seen them twice, and they're good, but it's pretty much like listening to their records with Mikael being a dickhead inbetween.

Favourite album is My Arms, Your Hearse.
    And thats the fun in it, that they play absolutely verbatim to their CD's, and have an awesome sense of humor. I saw a video on YouTube of Mikael teaching the audience how to death growl, and one with a "guess that riff" game.

Quote Originally Posted by SA-X View Post
    Saw them with Paradise Lost, it was an awesome gig. I love them, but over-listening can ruin them for people.
    Over-listening to any band can ruin it. I doubt they're really over listened to, since not many people have heard about them. As long as a band steers clear of MTV or any other music network, they're fine and don't get huge egos (and from what I can recall only Windowpane and The Grand Conjuration have seen little airplay, if any at all on MTV).
    Ever wanted to know how to boot burned PSX games on a PS2 without any swap disc or modchip?

Follow This Thread to find out how!

I take no credit for the aforementioned method, I just take credit for telling others about it. It is not my method, and I am not responsible if you f*ck up your console following this method.

Thanks
    EP Points

I saw them on the 2006 Gigantour, wasnt too impressed ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by l337killa07 View Post
    I haven't heard anyone catagorize them with Maiden or Priest or Motorhead, nor can they be classified with them. You're comparing a progressive rock/metal band to pure metal/rock bands. Its like comparing black and white.
    You misinterpreted what I'm saying. I don't mean that they sound like those bands, I mean that a lot of people treat them as though they have the same level of talent, legacy and influence as those bands.

They aren't genre pioneers, they aren't producing genre-defining albums. They just don't deserve that level of praise.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 25th-October-2007 at 00:33.

Thanks
    EP Points

Jethro Tull did what Opeth did years prior. though not as metal.

They still own. Ghost of Perdition and Atonement would have to be my favourite songs.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

I'd say comparing metal to prog metal is more like comparing white to off white.

Thanks

I was watching their live DVD, Lamentations yesterday, that a friend got me for my birthday.

Definately not as interesting as being there, but their musicianship is flawless.

Tis a shame Lindgren left, that guy was amazing

Mini-site to promote new live album: www.peaceville.com/opeth
    Last edited by SA-X; 29th-October-2007 at 14:34.