Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legality of Downloading/owning/burning/playing Roms, emulators, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Hell, we don't even have forum backups.
    I do

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Hell, we don't even have forum backups.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks
    EP Points

Didn't EP get cease and desist letters over Pacman and Final Fantasy?
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming View Post
    Didn't EP get cease and desist letters over Pacman and Final Fantasy?
    A few years ago, yeah, for the tracker.

So, we couldn't share those games on BT, but we could through upload service links on the forum, and the main site since they were on a different host then the tracker.

And I think there was something else from before then.
    Something where all or most of the downloads had to be removed.

Sorry, but my memory's fuzzy since I wasn't an active member back then--still on dialup then, so I had to choose between using most of my time online for d/l gba and other roms, or posting on message boards.

I chose the games.

Thanks

Well To Tell u The Truth As Long As The Media, Console, Or Accessories Are No Longer Sold Or Can Be Purchased Through Any Sort Of Retail Or Wholesale Means And the Company Who Created The Characters Have Not Developed Anything New With That Character In 10 Years From The Last Known Date Of Use Then the Company Forfets All Legal Ownership Of Previously Made Games And they are Open For 100% Legal Trade In Any Form Or Fasion. Thats The Reason They Have not Shutdown The GREAT Sites Such As The Romhustler And EmuParadise. Now IDK how Long U All have Been Into Backing Up Game's Or Emu's But I Do Know For A Fact That There Was A Main Site With A Sister Site Out There Once That Would Sell u Every Single PSX Game Backed Up Completely (This Included All The Us,Uk,CHN,jap,rus,fr,br, aus And Any I Forgot) For the CHEAP Price $235 And Every Single DC Game For $150. The Sad Thing "They"(Still not Sure Who It Was) Shutdown The Site And I Had just Come Up With The Money Too. Well Their Sister Site Had The Same Thing But They Were Setup Through Torrents Everything Free If U Had The Space And Bandwidth. But U Would Be Stuck At 99% Untill U Reached Exactly 100% Seeding. It Was VERY Effective However Before They Closed The Site Down I Managed To Snag A Few DC Torrents. So I Have Like 2 Dvd's Of Dc Games, But I Never Got A Chance To Get Some PSX Games. So If Anyone Out There Knows Anything about What I Was Talking About And Maybe They Just Changed There URL PLEASE For The Love Of All that Is Sacred And Holy Tell Me!!!!!!! Oh And Let Me Just Throw This Out. As Far As Security Is Concerned I Use Linux Its Harder To Track Unless Ur A Total Idiot. And If U Are Then I Recommend Some Lite Reading Try Linux For Dummies And Being A Total Linux Ghost.

Thanks

And the award for most counter-factual information in a single post goes to oceanofdarkstar.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by oceanofdarkstar View Post
    Well To Tell u The Truth As Long As The Media, Console, Or Accessories Are No Longer Sold Or Can Be Purchased Through Any Sort Of Retail Or Wholesale Means And the Company Who Created The Characters Have Not Developed Anything New With That Character In 10 Years From The Last Known Date Of Use Then the Company Forfets All Legal Ownership Of Previously Made Games And they are Open For 100% Legal Trade In Any Form Or Fasion. Thats The Reason They Have not Shutdown The GREAT Sites Such As The Romhustler And EmuParadise. Now IDK how Long U All have Been Into Backing Up Game's Or Emu's But I Do Know For A Fact That There Was A Main Site With A Sister Site Out There Once That Would Sell u Every Single PSX Game Backed Up Completely (This Included All The Us,Uk,CHN,jap,rus,fr,br, aus And Any I Forgot) For the CHEAP Price $235 And Every Single DC Game For $150. The Sad Thing "They"(Still not Sure Who It Was) Shutdown The Site And I Had just Come Up With The Money Too. Well Their Sister Site Had The Same Thing But They Were Setup Through Torrents Everything Free If U Had The Space And Bandwidth. But U Would Be Stuck At 99% Untill U Reached Exactly 100% Seeding. It Was VERY Effective However Before They Closed The Site Down I Managed To Snag A Few DC Torrents. So I Have Like 2 Dvd's Of Dc Games, But I Never Got A Chance To Get Some PSX Games. So If Anyone Out There Knows Anything about What I Was Talking About And Maybe They Just Changed There URL PLEASE For The Love Of All that Is Sacred And Holy Tell Me!!!!!!! Oh And Let Me Just Throw This Out. As Far As Security Is Concerned I Use Linux Its Harder To Track Unless Ur A Total Idiot. And If U Are Then I Recommend Some Lite Reading Try Linux For Dummies And Being A Total Linux Ghost.

Let's dissect this thing, shall we?

(meh, I'm bored. Sue me.)

Well To Tell u The Truth As Long As The Media, Console, Or Accessories Are No Longer Sold Or Can Be Purchased Through Any Sort Of Retail Or Wholesale Means And the Company Who Created The Characters Have Not Developed Anything New With That Character In 10 Years From The Last Known Date Of Use Then the Company Forfets All Legal Ownership Of Previously Made Games And they are Open For 100% Legal Trade In Any Form Or Fasion.
    Check the tracker sometime. We're trading games that are mere days old and we're still up.

Also, IIRC Sony is still in business and the PSX didn't "die" 10 years ago. Oh and patents/copyrights can last longer than 10 years and such.

The reason this site is up has more to do with the people who can stop us not giving a shit than the site owners exploiting some sort of loophole or obeying bizarre obscure laws.

Oh And Let Me Just Throw This Out. As Far As Security Is Concerned I Use Linux Its Harder To Track Unless Ur A Total Idiot. And If U Are Then I Recommend Some Lite Reading Try Linux For Dummies And Being A Total Linux Ghost.
    Absolute myth.

Linux connects to the internet more or less the same as every other OS, and therefore suffers the same security flaws.

Basically if they were cracking down a different OS isn't going to save your ass.

Especially since tracking is mostly done through the servers you're going through to access the site rather than your computer itself.

As for the books, those are readily available to the people tracking pirates, so I REALLY doubt it would work

Thanks
    EP Points

Jesus christ, dude.

That is all.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    And the award for most counter-factual information in a single post goes to oceanofdarkstar.

Not to mention amazing capitalization skills
    Last edited by l337killa07; 18th-October-2007 at 12:36.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Copy...paste. Set capitalizations style...sentence case. OK, it burns slightly less now.

OK, patents in most countries last somewhere around 20 years, not 10. That doesn't matter for us, because we aren't dealing with hardware. For software, which is a literary work, we are dealing with copyright, which lasts until...well, however many years it's been since Steamboat Willie was created (I know it's not really Disney's fault, but it's still funny ). Also, if you're actually buying ROMs online for any price, you're paying too much.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by l337killa07 View Post

Not to mention amazing capitalization skills
    More like, failed caps lock.

Also, what Darth said.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Culise View Post
    For software, which is a literary work, we are dealing with copyright, which lasts until...well, however many years it's been since Steamboat Willie was created (I know it's not really Disney's fault, but it's still funny ).
    Actually, it is (partially) Disneys fault. Every time some of their early work comes close to becoming public domain, they start leaning on politicians to extend the copyright.

A right case of bastardry, given how much of their wealth comes from animating public domain stories.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    Actually, it is (partially) Disneys fault. Every time some of their early work comes close to becoming public domain, they start leaning on politicians to extend the copyright.

A right case of bastardry, given how much of their wealth comes from animating public domain stories.
    Yea fuck Disney. The company, that is. Walt was awesome. I mean.. Fantasia...

Thanks

Lol, Capsblock. Ah yes, I remember my first encounter with it.

EDIT: <--- Whoever adds these, you deserve +1 rep for this one.
    Last edited by Paladin_Hammer; 18th-October-2007 at 19:22.
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

Default Legality

I think as long as you actually own that system/game then it doesn't really matter does it?