Thread: Method for booting PSX games on PS2, no modchip needed!!!

Thanks

Default Method for booting PSX games on PS2, no modchip needed!!!

This is no BS, this it's actually how I play all of the games I've downloaded from this site.

I'll post the Youtube video, and save myself alot of typing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ap6-FxgX86A

It works, but it doesnt work with PS2 backups. I was so surprised to do this and have it work!

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Also, you don't need swap magic, but the little card they give is very handy. You can also use the template and cut your own card out of a credit card too, but its not as sturdy.

The only thing I have to add to the video is that when you push it back it, push SLOWLY, as otherwise the cd will make a disconcerting grinding noise in the CD drive. Most games load pretty fast, meaning it doesnt show the PS logo for long. The only game I've had take a while so far is FF5. And when you pull out the game after highlighting it in the browser, its still spinning in the drive so as you pull it stops spinning, and makes a funky grinding noise, but it's nothing to worry about. I recommend using a CD that you care much for (for me personally, I use the Demo Disc I got with my PSX wayyyy back in 98), so even if it does get scratched, its not much to worry about.

Hope this helps those of you who needed a way to boot.
    Last edited by l337killa07; 21st-November-2007 at 17:55. Reason: Revision

Thanks

Ah this is very cool . . . it'd be a whole lot cooler if it could boot ps2 games . . . nice finds though.
    [

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Crow View Post
    Ah this is very cool . . . it'd be a whole lot cooler if it could boot ps2 games . . . nice finds though.
    Yea I tried it with my PS2 game, doesnt work unfortuneately, but there are apparently alternative methods to booting ps2 games too....

I just use swap magic....I had had it for a year and never used it, and then when I started customizing my Guitar Hero I discovered the wonder that is Swap Magic....my brother bought it and never used it, so he gave it to me....thank you old(est) brother!

Thanks

Well I was going to try it but unfortunately I broke that peg that the slide tool pushed because I was using a small, flat head screwdriver instead. Nothing a little superglue won't fix though. I took this opportunety to clean all the dust out of my PS2 while disassembeling it to get the piece I broke out of it so when I finally put it back together tomorrow afternoon (working early in the morning and need to get some super glue) it will look and perform alomost as good as new. I hope this lets me boot Dino Crisis and Breath of Fire 3.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    Well I was going to try it but unfortunately I broke that peg that the slide tool pushed because I was using a small, flat head screwdriver instead. Nothing a little superglue won't fix though. I took this opportunety to clean all the dust out of my PS2 while disassembeling it to get the piece I broke out of it so when I finally put it back together tomorrow afternoon (working early in the morning and need to get some super glue) it will look and perform alomost as good as new. I hope this lets me boot Dino Crisis and Breath of Fire 3.
    It should work with ANY game, as long as you've burned it correctly. I have burned BoF3 and it works like a charm.

Games from this site that have worked:

BoF 3
    BoF 4
    Castlevania SofN
    FFV
    Brave Fencer Musashi

*EDIT* FF9 works like a charm. Should be noted I'm using high-quality media (Sony + Verbatim), and burning at 4x in Nero.
    Last edited by l337killa07; 17th-October-2007 at 19:57.

Thanks

I still say emulators work better, but this is nice to, if i had a ps2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Omega13 View Post
    Personally I'd rather play the game on my 30" TV, as opposed to my 15" monitor, with my original controller, not having to worry about calibration and the button configurations and all that fun stuff, nor worrying about plugins, having updated drivers, etc.

But thats just me

Thanks

I suppose that everyone has their own methods

Thanks

I suppose that everyone has their own methods

I agree.

And emulators are a great solution for someone who has a big enough hard drive to hold a few hundred images, not someone in my situation (80 gig hard drive, IF that much)

Thanks

actually no, because even though playstation emulators are in their prime... they are far from perfect. real console is always better!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    actually no, because even though playstation emulators are in their prime... they are far from perfect. real console is always better!
    Brightside, from me to you.

With love

Thanks

What model PS2's do you guys have? Mine is a 30001R and this swap trick isn't working. It stays frozen on the PS screen.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 18th-October-2007 at 02:51.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    What model PS2's do you guys have? Mine is a 30001R and this swap trick isn't working. It stays frozen on the PS screen.
    Well if you watched the video he mentioned something about his ps2 model, I didn't really think it mattered.

As long as you have a "fat" ps2, it SHOULD work?

And my model is SCPH 50001/N. 2 years old, one of the newer "old" ps2s, if that makes sense.

"MY OLD IS NEWER THAN YOUR OLD! HAH I WIN!!!" lawlz