Thread: The internet hates me

Thanks

Default The internet hates me

For a couple of weeks now, whenever I use a web browser, it pauses for about 10 seconds a few times a minute. Really frustrating. I've scanned for viruses and adware, rebooted the modem, and all that jazz. Anyone know what it could be? Or even what the source would be?

Using XP Home, Firefox, though IE does the same thing.

Thanks
    EP Points

See if this guide helps in just generally cleaning up your system:

http://www.epforums.org/panda-mans-m...888/index.html

If that doesn't help, export your FF bookmarks (Bookmarks > Organize bookmarks > File > Export) and uninstall FF and see if IE still does the same thing. If so, look at what updates have been installed the past few weeks (control Panel > add/remove programs > make sure "show updates" is check at the top). I'd remove any hotfixes and windows updates in the past few weeks (all the hotfixes and updates be listed under Windows XP - Software Updates), especially since M$ has been a bastard about installing them without user consent lately. Reboot and reinstall FF and see if the problem still persists.
    Last edited by Panda Man; 21st-September-2007 at 11:28.

Thanks

when you say it pauses, you mean it temporarily freezes?

also does just the webpage freeze or does the browser as a whole freeze too?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    See if this guide helps in just generally cleaning up your system:

http://www.epforums.org/panda-mans-m...888/index.html

If that doesn't help, export your FF bookmarks (Bookmarks > Organize bookmarks > File > Export) and uninstall FF and see if IE still does the same thing. If so, look at what updates have been installed the past few weeks (control Panel > add/remove programs > make sure "show updates" is check at the top). I'd remove any hotfixes and windows updates in the past few weeks (all the hotfixes and updates be listed under Windows XP - Software Updates), especially since M$ has been a bastard about installing them without user consent lately. Reboot and reinstall FF and see if the problem still persists.
    I'm at work now, but I will try all this, thanks.

And yes, the whole browser freezes. You can type, but it all comes up at once, after the freeze.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post

And yes, the whole browser freezes. You can type, but it all comes up at once, after the freeze.
    Well, this happens to me too (in firefox) but that is only coz am using 256 MB of ram and I have loads of other programs running in the background, like a few excel sheets, a few MS Word documents, as well as a few IE pages only coz my company's website is not firefox compatible Am sitting on a company PC with XP SP2

From what I think, whenever I load a "heavy page" like Kotaku or Gamespot, Firefox hangs there and won't even let me alt-tab to another tab. I just think its low on RAM and is loading the page But it gives me complete control as soon as its finished loading

So, how much ram you got ?

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

512, but it started happening all of a sudden, never had the problem before.

Thanks

512, but it started happening all of a sudden, never had the problem before.
    perhaps you recently installed an application thats currenty running in the background?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question is, does it freeze upon loading or all of a sudden when the page is loaded?

Thanks
    EP Points

defragmenterize your pagefile while your at it.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...agedefrag.mspx