Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic Host Process for Win32 services and Windows Explorer

Thanks

Default Generic Host Process for Win32 services and Windows Explorer

OK, so I get an error message when I log on saying those two applications have encountered a problem and need to close. When I press close, I see the blue screen of death and my PC restarts. I'm only able to post this message because I haven't pressed close yet.

I'm running Ad-Ware to see if there's anything, and Windows File Protection to make sure there's no corruption, but I think I may need to re-install windows. I still have my original XP Home disc, is it simple to re-install an OS? Is there a possibility that something could go horribly wrong? If so, I'd rather try and fix it then chance fudging everything up.

A simple set of instructions for reinstalling XP would be very handy.
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..

Thanks
    EP Points

Bios -> First boot: CD-ROM

Reboot the system with the Windows XP disc in the master drive.

It'll come up press any key to boot from cd-rom...

Then you'll be presented with the Windows screen, it'll say something along the lines of 'searching for blah'

Once that's done it'll ask you to agree to teh terms of service. Hit f8

Now you'll be presented with your hard drive(s).

Select the drive/partition you want to install windows on.

You'll be asked if you want to delete or repair the windows install. (You want to delete it and start a new).

It'll copy the files and the system will reboot

When it asks you to boot from cd-rom do NOT press a key, so it boots from the HDD.

Now it'll 'setup windows xp'.

You'll be prompt to enter your serial number found on the disc or OEM, and set up your keyboard, etc.

Once that is done you'll be on the desktop, once it's rebooted I think.

Reinstall all your old stuff,

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually, I would recommend formatting rather than an in place installation. Just backup the important files and tell it to do a quick NTFS format while in setup. Setup guides you through the whole process You could probably save your installation by reinstalling explorer in safe mode

Also -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
    Last edited by Panda Man; 10th-September-2007 at 17:30.

Thanks

Instead of reinstalling, try booting up with your XP CD (Go to the BIOS and check which is you 1st boot device, it must be the CD drive... some BIOSes will let you choose where do you wish to boot from after the POST screen. To do so, hold F8 after the first chime).

When the first set of options pop up, you will be given 3 choices. Go for the second instead of the routine set up windows XP, go for the repair option.

A DOS-type screen will appear and after a timer appears (which only serves to change the keyboard's language), it will ask you to which Windows installation do you wish to log on, press 1 and hit enter. (In the case that you have a password, you know what to do.)

When you're finally able to type into the prompt...

Type:

CHKDSK /R. exactly as I typed it.

Wait until it finishes checking, and exit with F3 or writing the EXIT command in the prompt. If it works after that, good. You won't lose your files and the problem will be fixed by the OS, provided you have an XP disk.

If it doesn't, you will need to format.

Panda, care to correct me if I'm wrong?
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks

Thanks Astroth.

Panda, what is 'setup'? When booting from the CD? Won't formatting delete Windows anyway?
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 東京 View Post
    Thanks Astroth.

Panda, what is 'setup'? When booting from the CD? Won't formatting delete Windows anyway?
    The windows installation on the disc. Is referred to as setup.

Panda: I did say to delete the install of Windows on the drive, then install a new one...

EDIT: You may want to create a partition on the drive, say 30gb to store windows and installed files onto. And with the rest of the space put your important files on, but either way when you format you'll lose it all. So...

And yes, formatting does delete Windows, and everything on that drive/partition.

Multiple HDD's ftw!
    Last edited by Inferno.; 10th-September-2007 at 17:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

Gal- Chkdsk won't help here, windows is screwed, the hard disk is fine =O

Yea, but if you do an in place installation there will usually be leftover drivers and other nasty files, I only do in place installations to recover files when windows won't boot no matter what, in place installs always act weird. You'll want to just format and start over with a clean install of windows. and setup is the windows installer

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Panda: I did say to delete the install of Windows on the drive, then install a new one...
    Yeah, that's not a format, that's called an in place installation, it will leave account info and other stuff on the drive and generally fuck up windows.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post

Yea, but if you do an in place installation there will usually be leftover drivers and other nasty files, I only do in place installations to recover files when windows won't boot no matter what, in place installs always act weird. You'll want to just format and start over with a clean install of windows. and setup is the windows installer

Yeah, that's not a format, that's called an in place installation, it will leave account info and other stuff on the drive and generally fuck up windows.
    No because I said delete the install of Windows xp, but not fuck about with partitions.

Thanks
    EP Points

No because I said delete the install of Windows xp, but not fuck about with partitions.
    You'll be asked if you want to delete or repair the windows install. (You want to delete it and start a new).
    That will still leave account files and other nasty files on the disk. Just tell it to do a fresh installation and select C:, and then tell it to quick format the drive as an NTFS partition. This won't repartition anything.
    Last edited by Panda Man; 10th-September-2007 at 17:52.

Thanks

Just suggesting it since I have been able to solve some nasty non-hard disk related problems with this, hun.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Galcian View Post
    Just suggesting it since I have been able to solve some nasty non-hard disk related problems with this, hun.
    Indeed. This is a service failure though this hotfix fixes the issue btw

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Thanks
    EP Points

That will still leave account files and other nasty files on the disk. Just tell it to do a new installation and select C:, and then tell it to quick format the drive as an NTFS partition. This won't repartition anything.
    Does it fuck :s

I've formatted about 5 times this month.

Thanks
    EP Points

Does it fuck :s

I've formatted about 5 times this month.
    I've done it for about 6 years =O

NEVER tell it to just delete windows, you want it completely formatted.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've done it for about 6 years =O

NEVER tell it to just delete windows, you want it completely formatted.
    You have to tell it to not repair the windows install then to format the disk.

Thanks
    EP Points

You have to tell it to not repair the windows install then to format the disk.
    wait wait wait, I know what your talking about now, but that comes much sooner in setup, at the same time you hit f8 to install a fresh copy I thought you were talking about not formatting and just deleting the windows folders, because that's 99% of the time a bad move. After hitting F8, select your drive and tell it to quick format as an NTFS partition.