Thread: Using PSX controllers on a PC?

Thanks

Default Using PSX controllers on a PC?

I've bought a few ports of console games for the PC and I've been thinking of getting one of these gadgets to see if I can put my old PSX controller to good use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-USB-...QQcmdZViewItem

My initial question: do these devices work well or are they just a gimmick? On the box it says USB2.0 but my pc only has 1.1/1.0 ports, will it work with mine? Also do the analog sticks like on the rumble PSX/PS2 controllers work fine with it or are they glitchy?

Would this be equally as compatible as any other standard USB gamepad for any game that works with one?
    Thxorz.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    On the box it says USB2.0 but my pc only has 1.1/1.0 ports, will it work with mine?
    Yes, 2.0 and 1.1/1,0 are backwards compatible. It may not be quite as responsive though, as the 1.1 port may serve as a bottleneck when there is a lot of button pressing. I doubt it though.

I've heard these generally work well, but I have no experience with them. You might need NTpad to map the controller.

Thanks
    EP Points

From my experience, PSX to USB adapters work really well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    From my experience, PSX to USB adapters work really well.
    Do you have the same one? Does the 1.1/2.0 USB issue matter at all?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    Do you have the same one? Does the 1.1/2.0 USB issue matter at all?
    I'm sorry, but I don't have the same one. I was just speaking in general.

I don't know much about the USB 1.1/2.0 issue. Sorry.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm using one of these (affiliate link), and it works very well. Analog sticks, rumble, you name it, it's supported. You can only set up two buttons to work in analogue, pressure sensitive mode, but that's the only limitation I've found that wasn't mentioned on the linked page. Rumble did crash ePSXe for me once, though that seems to be a fault on ePSXe's part, since other games work just fine.

What you're looking at seems to be a clone of that, so it shouldn't be a terrible choice. I can't make accurate guesses on what the exact quality difference (if any) would be between that and the original, though.

As said before, the only difference you could see between 1.1 and 2.0 would be lesser responsiveness, in case the data transfer rate wasn't enough in case of 1.1 (or even 1.0) already.

A quick calculation: assuming 4 bytes for one coordinate (enough to represent 4 billion values, so it's unlikely you'd have something more precise than that on your hands), the 192 kB/s transfer rate of USB 1.0 allows for 49152 such values to be sent per second. Assuming 100 updates a second, that's still 491 coordinates each update. A quick conversion would also tell you that translates into 15728 binary values, as would be the case for digital buttons with only states of pressed/unpressed.

You aren't going to connect anything having 500 analog axes or 16000 buttons to it, I believe. If you are, consider upgrading to 1.1, having eight times the speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0 View Post
    I'm using one of these (affiliate link), and it works very well. Analog sticks, rumble, you name it, it's supported. You can only set up two buttons to work in analogue, pressure sensitive mode, but that's the only limitation I've found that wasn't mentioned on the linked page. Rumble did crash ePSXe for me once, though that seems to be a fault on ePSXe's part, since other games work just fine.

What you're looking at seems to be a clone of that, so it shouldn't be a terrible choice. I can't make accurate guesses on what the exact quality difference (if any) would be between that and the original, though.

As said before, the only difference you could see between 1.1 and 2.0 would be lesser responsiveness, in case the data transfer rate wasn't enough in case of 1.1 (or even 1.0) already.

A quick calculation: assuming 4 bytes for one coordinate (enough to represent 4 billion values, so it's unlikely you'd have something more precise than that on your hands), the 192 kB/s transfer rate of USB 1.0 allows for 49152 such values to be sent per second. Assuming 100 updates a second, that's still 491 coordinates each update. A quick conversion would also tell you that translates into 15728 binary values, as would be the case for digital buttons with only states of pressed/unpressed.

You aren't going to connect anything having 500 analog axes or 16000 buttons to it, I believe. If you are, consider upgrading to 1.1, having eight times the speed.
    my brain hurts after reading that.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know my older PS1 adapter was used on an old PC with USB 1.1 (this was years ago mind you), never had any issues then so

Thanks
    EP Points

I have an usb adapter for ps1 controllers called "pc station",(how original),and there's a terrible lag that makes it unusable,I've tested it on pentium 2,k6-2 and pentium 3 computers,and the same thing happens. it either needs a faster computer (I wonder what for),or a faster usb,I bet the computers I tested it on had usb 1.x and that adapter requieres 2.0.
    the solution?,I made myself an adapter that plugs in to the lpt1 port according to some tutorials and schematics I found on line. I don't even remember the URLs or the name of the sites...but it'll be easy to find if you google for "psx lpt1 adapter" or something like that. anyway,it's not worth the bother if you can use an usb adapter that works ok. just stay away from the "pc station" ones just in case.
    nothing

Thanks

Thanks fellas. I read some review at some site and the dude mentioned he was running it on a PC with USB 1.1. *orders from amazon*