Thread: Why certain psx games can't swap trick

Thanks

Default Why certain psx games can't swap trick

By swap trick I mean using an original psx game such as Crash Bash and using the swapping steps in order to be able to play a burned game. The burned game is made through Alcohol 120% with .cue/.bin

I noticed that certain games don't work on the playstation but work via emulator such as Castlevania SOTN, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil 3. Alot of other games work however such as Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, etc. But what is it that makes certain games work while others don't?

One thing that seems to be a clue is that when burning the image through Alcohol 120, if the options don't allow for a lower burn rate than 24x the game won't work. This happened with Super Puzzle Fighter and Wipeout XL. Those two games also use .ccd instead of .cue but you can always convert that so I don't think that matters.

So anyone know why some games work while others don't?

Thanks
    EP Points

As far as burning speeds go, 4x is the highest you should go with PSX games. Though, some people say it still works at higher speeds. Concerning your swapping issues, either the burn process wasn't a complete success and it fails because of it or you're not doing it right. Yeah, I know, you said it works with other games, but still.

Thanks

Well certain games that I try to burn through Alcohol120 won't let me go down to 4x. Like usually there are options from 4x-24x and maximum speed. But in these cases only 24x speed and maximum show up. I guess if its never happened to you, you won't know what I mean but I'm sure its happened to other people before. I just noticed that these games were also .ccd instead of .cue but that shouldn't matter because I use isobuster to change it to .cue

Thanks
    EP Points

Crash Bash is one of the PS1 games with mod protection on it

Thanks

The original model PlayStation laser is very sensitive to burned copies and at times cannot handle scratched discs very well but it is said that the newer model PlayStations have updated disc drives which can handle scratched discs better then the original and possibly even burned discs using the standard swap methods. Of course games that contain Anti-Mod protection (identified by the "Software Terminated" screen shortly after startup of a burned copy) will not run as they detect that something is wrong and refuse to continue.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

well that wasnt what I was talking about but I learned something new nonetheless...

anyways I think its because I'm using a trial version of alcohol or something like that. it didn't have anything to do with anti-mod protection but I never knew about that