Thread: HDD Problem...

Thanks

Default HDD Problem...

Hi all. I have two 80 GB Hard disks, each are partitioned into three so I have 6 partitions all in all. Recently, one of my harddisk is acting weird. All of a sudden, they will not appear on my computer and I can't access them. Sometimes I need to turn off my computer for a while for it to work again but the problem will come back after some time again. This has been bugging me already. Do you guys know what could be the problem?

I think this started when I was using the computer and my computer turned off because of power failure. Could that be it? Can I fix this problem? Help me please!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds like plain old HDD failure to me. Do you experience frequent slow downs while transferring data from a partition to another?

Thanks

Nope. Transferring data seems normal. I also noticed that when my three partitions from the faulty HDD disappear, my computer slows down. Actually it happened again right now but I don't bother to shut down my computer again for a while. :s

Thanks

check the cables..... make sure theyre in tightly

Thanks
    EP Points

I suspect the same as evans, HDD failure, otherwise the motherboard is dieing.

Download hddh

http://www.panterasoft.com/download/hddh.exe

And see if the attributes change constantly. Also, try simply swapping IDE cables to make the cable isn't the problem. And if possible, hook the HDD's into separate channels.

Thanks

Okay, I'll try those. Hopefully my problem will be fixed. Thanks all!

Edit:

I tried that program and took a screen shot of it. Does that show a problem on my Hard disk?

I also checked the IDE cables and tried to put them tight... I hope I'm not going to replace my Hard disk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arcsy2; 18th-August-2007 at 10:18.

Thanks
    EP Points

That doesn't look a major issue. Just for good measure, open up a command prompt (Start> Run "cmd" ) and type

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Do the same for all the disks. You'll need to reboot for a few of them. Unless the problem is gone after refitting the cable, I'd still recommend getting a new IDE cable just to be sure the old one isn't going bad, and try changing molex connectors as well.

Thanks

I didn't know IDE cables could mess up in the long run, I guess I have to buy one next time.

I'd probably do the checkdsk way after my internet will be disconnected. I don't want to waste precious moments of the time downloading some things on torrent. :p

Thanks a lot Panda Man!