Thread: Bizzare semi-random shutoffs

Thanks

Default Bizzare semi-random shutoffs

I usually have my PC in hibernation mode at night as I have a programmed task that plays a playlist in winamp to wake me up in the morning. I've been recently getting this problem with my PC, I wasn't getting it before.

Basically after it comes out of hibernation in a few seconds my PC loses power like if it was unplugged. Turning it on doesn't work, I need to unplug the cable from the PSU, wait 2 seconds, and plug it back in and then I can turn it back on(my PSU does not have an on/off switch).

Then after booting the same thing happens at around the Windows loading screen or shortly after going into windows.

I do the same, and this problem won't happen at all again, I can even have it on 3 days straight and this doesn't happen, just twice whenever I come out of hibernation. Also occasionally have it hibernating in the afternoon if I'm not home and the same thing happens, so it must have something to do when I've had the PC hibernating?

I thought it was because the power cable I was using was weak/not making good contact so I got another one and it helped somewhat. But these shut offs are very consistent, they never happen at any other time. I've previously had no problems with this PSU at all, had it for about a month, it's a generic 600W that was recommended to me by the store clerk when I bought my agp 7600GT, and was doing mighty fine with no power problems or lockups at all(no lockups now either). I forgot what the ampere rating were but it's definitely a strong PSU as he suggested it to me as a lot of people who bought an 8800GTX were doing pretty good with it, and the sum of all my PC components' power draw is welllll within acceptable numbers.

So this has to do with hibernation mode then? Is there some power-saving option that may have been turned on?

Thanks

Why do you use hibernation mode? The power usage of a computer at full load (which it shouldn't be if you're not using it, anyway) and in "low-power" mode isn't really much different, and it's pretty low either way, to begin with.

If you're not using Hibernation for a specific reason, I'd say stop using it. Just turn off your monitor and let the computer run. Maybe run a torrent or two overnight, that's what I do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    Why do you use hibernation mode? The power usage of a computer at full load (which it shouldn't be if you're not using it, anyway) and in "low-power" mode isn't really much different, and it's pretty low either way, to begin with.
    Actually it is, I read somewhere that power draw in hibernation is only 5-15W on most computers as opposed to 200-250W+ on an idle system(can be far more if under load from heavy CPU/gfx card/hard disk use especially with today's PC's). Just touch a computer in hibernation or put your ear next to it, you wont hear anything and it will feel as cold as it would if it were off. Power draw is extremely minimal.

I use it because I like to keep my PC off at night as my room gets pretty hot, and my PC is rather loud, but mainly so it'll wake me up in the morning(the scheduled task I have wakes my PC out of hibernation mode, but it can't turn on the PC for me if it's off).

It happened 3 times this morning, the last random shutoff was far apart(it was when I was typing this thread, fortunately Firefox was able to restore my session ). I'm gonna try keeping it on for a few days, hopefully that stress will reveal if the PSU is faulty, but it's damned hot over here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    Actually it is, I read somewhere that power draw in hibernation is only 5-15W on most computers as opposed to 200-250W+ on an idle system(can be far more if under load from heavy CPU/gfx card/hard disk use especially with today's PC's). Just touch a computer in hibernation or put your ear next to it, you wont hear anything and it will feel as cold as it would if it were off. Power draw is extremely minimal.

I use it because I like to keep my PC off at night as my room gets pretty hot, and my PC is rather loud, but mainly so it'll wake me up in the morning(the scheduled task I have wakes my PC out of hibernation mode, but it can't turn on the PC for me if it's off).

It happened 3 times this morning, the last random shutoff was far apart(it was when I was typing this thread, fortunately Firefox was able to restore my session ). I'm gonna try keeping it on for a few days, hopefully that stress will reveal if the PSU is faulty, but it's damned hot over here.
    yea i'd have to suggest possible faulty power supply

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    after it comes out of hibernation in a few seconds my PC loses power like if it was unplugged. Turning it on doesn't work, I need to unplug the cable from the PSU, wait 2 seconds, and plug it back in and then I can turn it back on(my PSU does not have an on/off switch).

Then after booting the same thing happens at around the Windows loading screen or shortly after going into windows.

I do the same, and this problem won't happen at all again, I can even have it on 3 days straight and this doesn't happen, just twice whenever I come out of hibernation. Also occasionally have it hibernating in the afternoon if I'm not home and the same thing happens, so it must have something to do when I've had the PC hibernating?

I thought it was because the power cable I was using was weak/not making good contact so I got another one and it helped somewhat. But these shut offs are very consistent, they never happen at any other time. I've previously had no problems with this PSU at all, had it for about a month, it's a generic 600W that was recommended to me by the store clerk when I bought my agp 7600GT, and was doing mighty fine with no power problems or lockups at all(no lockups now either). I forgot what the ampere rating were but it's definitely a strong PSU as he suggested it to me as a lot of people who bought an 8800GTX were doing pretty good with it, and the sum of all my PC components' power draw is welllll within acceptable numbers.

So this has to do with hibernation mode then? Is there some power-saving option that may have been turned on?
    I am lead to beleive that if it is NOT a PSU error, it would have to be a problem with your scheduled task, that somthing in it makes the comp illegally shut down or somthing...

i have experience with PSU's in two forms, perfectly good, and perfectly dead x.x

and they go from one to the other in moments.

one capaciter dies on the PSU and it needs to be replaced(the PSU)

PSU's suck.

Thanks
    EP Points

PSU may be getting tripped on something coming out of hibernation. Tested it with a different PSU yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I am lead to beleive that if it is NOT a PSU error, it would have to be a problem with your scheduled task, that somthing in it makes the comp illegally shut down or somthing...
    Get out of computer tech. Now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Anymore spam in here and I'll hand out infractions. This isn't the damn Hangout.