Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about PS2 HDD

Thanks

Default Questions about PS2 HDD

Okay I have a few questions about PS2 and External HDD (first 6 questions) and the original PS2 HDD (only the last question), I would really appreciate if you guys could help me.

1) My external Hard Drive is 'Toshiba USB 2.0 Ext. HDD USB Device' (250 GB). Is this a compatible external hard drive with HDloader to play games on my big PS 2 with?

2) If my current external hard drive isn't compatible, which one should I buy? I will probably go to the shop after this weekend.

3) What is "PS2 Playstation 2 HD Advance 2.0"? (I found someone selling this on eBay (while I was looking for a Network Adaptor) and couldn't help but get the feeling this had something to do with play PS2 games from your HD).

4) Where could I find a Network Adaptor other than eBay? Do they sell this in hardware or high-tech or whatever shops?

5) I am from Belgium (Europe), are there any specific things I need to pay attention to when buying a Network Adaptor from eBay? F.e. If I were to buy a Network Adaptor from Canada, will it still work with my European PS2 and games? I know that i need an RGB scart for playing NTSC games, but anything else?

6) Is it possible that there are diffrent versions of PS2 Network adaptors? Other than the PS2 Slim network adaptors I mean. I saw a picture of one at eBay of a network adaptor from Hong Kong that looked more like a cable. Is this possible? And will this also work?

7) What if I would buy a PS2 HDD. Could I download games for the PS2 with my PC and then put them on the PS2 HDD and play them on my PS2? (with my big ps2 btw)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by B0r4n; 4th-August-2007 at 15:44.

Thanks

Well here is a couple of answers for you

1) no it is not compatible with HDLOader since it is only compatible with standard IDE HDD's connected trough the PS2 Network Adapter

2) hmm well thats up to you really.. i prefer maxtor HDD's so thats what i got in my PS2

3) HD Advanced is another alternative to HDloader. Personally i use the HDLoader v0.8b

4) well sorry i cant really help you there since i dont know anything about belgium (im danish myself so) im not totally shure abouth the networks adapters compability with other regions so i guess your on your won there

5) well probably i know the network adapter for the big PS2 is rather big but then again as i recall the slim version has the network adapter build in to it so

7) well shure.. you would need the network adapter too though and well since the PS2 HDD's are rather small (memory wise) just get a normal IDE HDD and use that instead... when i transfer games to my HDD i usually hook it up to my PC with a external HDD boc i got and transfer the game with a program called winHIIP

well i hope that you are able to use this and good luck with it
    Even the paranoid has enemies

Thanks

Here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by B0r4n View Post
    1) My external Hard Drive is 'Toshiba USB 2.0 Ext. HDD USB Device' (250 GB). Is this a compatible external hard drive with HDloader to play games on my big PS 2 with?
    Well, HDLoader is only compatible with IDE HDDs and if you wanna use a USB HDD, you have to use USBExtreme (google for the free version) but PS2 USB is only v1.0 which means slow data transfer rates, which means game load times will be INCREASED and movies or FMVs will be choppy. Also USBExtreme has less compatibility compared to HDloader, which gets updates all the time, so even if a new game comes out that isn't compatible with HDloader, you can be sure there'll be a patch of HDloader coming up in no time (for example God of War 2)

2) If my current external hard drive isn't compatible, which one should I buy? I will probably go to the shop after this weekend.
    Again, it should work with USBExtreme but you won't be totally happy with it.

3) What is "PS2 Playstation 2 HD Advance 2.0"? (I found someone selling this on eBay (while I was looking for a Network Adaptor) and couldn't help but get the feeling this had something to do with play PS2 games from your HD).
    Well, technically its a ripoff. Some people stole some group's work and are selling the HDLoader and USBExtreme, which actually are free and you shouldn't pay money for what you are getting for free

4) Where could I find a Network Adaptor other than eBay? Do they sell this in hardware or high-tech or whatever shops?
    Am afraid I can't help you there as I live in India and I bought my Network Adapter in a local shop here in the gray market. That damn thing cost me 100 US dollars New (Rs. 4200 Indian rupees) but I guess it was totally worth it given these things are going extinct

5) I am from Belgium (Europe), are there any specific things I need to pay attention to when buying a Network Adaptor from eBay? F.e. If I were to buy a Network Adaptor from Canada, will it still work with my European PS2 and games? I know that i need an RGB scart for playing NTSC games, but anything else?
    It will work. Don't worry As far as I know there are no specific region versions or anything like that. A Network Adapter is a Network Adapter and it will work no matter where you get it from. Heck, mine's made in china or jap (don't remember ) but its working just fine here

6) Is it possible that there are diffrent versions of PS2 Network adaptors? Other than the PS2 Slim network adaptors I mean. I saw a picture of one at eBay of a network adaptor from Hong Kong that looked more like a cable. Is this possible? And will this also work?
    There are only two variations of Network Adapters officially released by Sony (regions don't matter). Take a look at this pic...

I have the "Ethernet only" one, which works great See if you can put that ebay link here and we'll check it out for you whether it actually is a Network Adapter or a ripoff of some kind or may be some new way they figured out to connect an IDE HDD to the fat PS2. You never know

7) What if I would buy a PS2 HDD. Could I download games for the PS2 with my PC and then put them on the PS2 HDD and play them on my PS2? (with my big ps2 btw)
    Well, if you buy a Network Adapter, you'll HAVE to buy an IDE HDD to use it. If you have both of those things, then you're set You can download ANY PS2 game you want, connect your IDE HDD to your PC using any free IDE port on your comp, and use WinHIIP to transfer games onto your PS2 HDD. Also, if you don't wanna take your HDD out everytime you wanna transfer a PS2 game, you can buy some kind of cable (don't know much about it) which you can use to connect your PS2 to PC and use an ftp program (of sorts) to transfer games.

Thanks in advance.
    You're welcome
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 5th-August-2007 at 16:47.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

I still don't understand everything 100%

1) This is a PS2 HDD right?

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI..._promot_widget

Using this, what other stuff would I need to purchase and what would I need to do to play downloaded games on my big PS2?

2) If I would use an external HDD (not related to PS2 & Sony in any way), all I would need is an IDE external HDD, HDloader, and a Network Adaptor. And then I would be able to download PS2 games, put them on my external HDD via my PC, plug that external HDD in my PS2, and play. Is this correct?

3) What exactly is IDE (I know it's an alternative way for connecting hard ware and stuff)? But how would that IDE port look like? Would I have one on my 5 years old PC?

5) Are ALL IDE external HDD compatible with HDloader or do I need to be careful when buying one?

4) Would this be a sensible purchase if I am planning to download PS2 games?

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/PS2-Playstat...QQcmdZViewItem

5) Here is the link for that other Network Adaptor-like thing I saw on eBay:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/USB-Network-...QQcmdZViewItem

What exactly is this?

6) Quote: "5) well probably i know the network adapter for the big PS2 is rather big but then again as i recall the slim version has the network adapter build in to it so"

Does this mean I can use an IDE external HDD and a Slim PS2 without the Network Adaptor to play downloaded PS2 games?

Sorry for all my questions m8s.. :$

Ehm guys? I know it's a lotta questions so sorry bout that but I could really use some help.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 9th-August-2007 at 07:14.

Thanks

I am so sorry...I totally forgot about this thread I'll check out all your links and will post of what I think. Gimme 20 mins

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Thanks man You the best

Thanks

Okay, I've tried my best to answer all your questions and clear your confusion.

Yes & No. This is NOT the official Sony PS2 HDD. But it can be used in your BIG FAT PS2. Any PC HDD can be used with your PS2 if you have the Network Adapter (pictured above). All this seller is doing is selling a NORMAL/COMMON computer internal HDD, which can be FIT into the PS2. Even you can just go out and buy any PC HDD and put it in your PS2

Using this, what other stuff would I need to purchase and what would I need to do to play downloaded games on my big PS2?
    In that link, he is only selling a common PC internal HDD with pirated PS2 games. If you buy that, all you need is the Network Adapter (pictured above).

2) If I would use an external HDD (not related to PS2 & Sony in any way), all I would need is an IDE external HDD, HDloader, and a Network Adaptor. And then I would be able to download PS2 games, put them on my external HDD via my PC, plug that external HDD in my PS2, and play. Is this correct?
    Exactly but IDE HDDs are INTERNAL HDDs, common HDDs that you use in a PC. Here's a picture...

IDE HDDs are ALWAYS internal. Not external.

3) What exactly is IDE (I know it's an alternative way for connecting hard ware and stuff)? But how would that IDE port look like? Would I have one on my 5 years old PC?
    Exactly and yes you would find it in your PC. IDE is a very common interface to connect HDDs to your motherboard. Here's a picture of an IDE cable...

See the blue port in that picture, that is what is called as an IDE Port. If you wanna connect an IDE HDD to your PC, one end of that cable will go into the HDD and the other into your PC's motherboard

5) Are ALL IDE external HDD compatible with HDloader or do I need to be careful when buying one?
    Well, as I said, ALL IDE HDDs are INTERNALS. And here's a list of compatible HDDs working GREAT with the HD Loader...

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

This list shows you which HDDs are compatible with HDloader and are working great on the PS2 You can check out all the brands that are available to you and check out their model number and search in that list and it will show you that particular HDD's compatibility with HDloader. Over here in India, we have Samsung and Seagate HDDs available here with very good after sales services, and I checked out all the models of both of those brands and in the end, bought a 160 GB Samsung HDD, which is working great with my PS2 and HDloader

4) Would this be a sensible purchase if I am planning to download PS2 games?

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/PS2-Playstat...QQcmdZViewItem
    Well, that guy is selling a FAT PS2 with Network Adapter and a 120 GB HDD. Now, since you already have a FAT PS2, then you don't need to buy this. All you need now is a Network Adapter (pictured above) and an HDD, which is compatible with HDloader (see the compatibility list link above)

5) Here is the link for that other Network Adaptor-like thing I saw on eBay:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/USB-Network-...QQcmdZViewItem

What exactly is this?
    No this won't work. You need an official Sony Network Adapter (pictured above in my earlier post) to pull this off

6) Quote: "5) well probably i know the network adapter for the big PS2 is rather big but then again as i recall the slim version has the network adapter build in to it so"

Does this mean I can use an IDE external HDD and a Slim PS2 without the Network Adaptor to play downloaded PS2 games?
    Well, the actual purpose of the network adapter is to connect your PS2 to "the network" so you can go online and play games. Now when people say, the slim PS2 has a network adapter built in, they mean its built in and will only let you connect your PS2 to "the network" and connect to the internet and play online and THATS IT. The official Sony Network Adapter for the FAT PS2 has an IDE port in its back which enables a person to connect an HDD to their PS2 and this is what we are trying to do here and NOT CONNECT to the internet to play online.

Sorry for all my questions m8s.. :$

Ehm guys? I know it's a lotta questions so sorry bout that but I could really use some help.
    No problem and you're welcome. Post here if you have any other questions.

Edit: So, in the end, all you require is a fat PS2, the OFFICIAL Sony Network Adapter (pictured in my earlier post), which enables you to connect an IDE HDD to your fat PS2, and an IDE HDD of course, which is a common internal PC harddisk. Just check out the compatibility list before you go ahead with your purchase .

And of course you're gonna require the HDloader , which is available on the internet for free. First, get all those things and I'll give you the links to download the latest version of HDloader
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 9th-August-2007 at 18:33.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post, but since you seem to be confused a little bit. Here's how the Network Adapter comes into picture...

Now after you connect your Network Adapter to your IDE HDD, you get this...

And after doing that, you just slide the whole thing in your PS2 like this...

After that, just tighten all the screws shown here...

Then, just load up HDloader and start playing games

Hope that clears up all your confusion
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 9th-August-2007 at 18:48.

Thanks

Indeed this clears out all my confusion, thanks a lot m8 .

My confusion originated in the fact that I thought you needed an EXTERNAL HDD, and I thought IDE HDD's were some kind of different type external HDD's that didn't use USB. I didn't realise IDE was an internal HDD (I never heard of the term 'IDE' before...) .

EDIT: Oh just a few more questions. If I would just buy a official PS2 HDD would that also work with HDLoader? And can I also connect the official PS2 HDD to my PC? It seems easier cuz the list you gave me is kinda confusing for me. In that list, to what do I have to pay attention? I.E what is important of all the info I am given, and what is not? (f.e. is the buffer important and if yes what should it be?)
    Last edited by B0r4n; 9th-August-2007 at 19:15.

Thanks

Indeed this clears out all my confusion, thanks a lot m8 .

My confusion originated in the fact that I thought you needed an EXTERNAL HDD, and I thought IDE HDD's were some kind of different type external HDD's that didn't use USB. I didn't realise IDE was an internal HDD (I never heard of the term 'IDE' before...) .
    You're welcome Good luck with the purchase and have fun

EDIT: Oh just a few more questions. If I would just buy a official PS2 HDD would that also work with HDLoader? And can I also connect the official PS2 HDD to my PC? It seems easier cuz the list you gave me is kinda confusing for me. In that list, to what do I have to pay attention? I.E what is important of all the info I am given, and what is not? (f.e. is the buffer important and if yes what should it be?)
    Am not sure how much an official PS2 hdd will cost you and what size they come in but am 100% sure for that same price, you can get a regular PC IDE HDD, which is much better than the official one and has much more space (GB wise) than the official one.

Buffer doesn't matter that much. What matters is the BRAND, MODEL NO., SIZE, FITTING, PS2, and the most important WORKING (according to that compatibility list)

BRAND = This one depends on which brands of IDE HDDs that are available to you in your area. Which one do you have more faith in ?? Also, which one has good after sales services in your area ?

MODEL NO = After you have selected the brand, check out the various model numbers of that particular brand on that list. See which model no is most compatible with HDloader, which is fitting and working perfectly fine

SIZE = This depends on what size of an HDD do you want (GB wise). Some branded models having 160 or 200 gb or more MIGHT NOT be compatible with HDloader. You just have to select the proper options and see whether that particular model/size HDD is compatible or not.

FITTING = This actually means whether the IDE HDD fits perfectly into the Network Adapter without any problems or required modifications. From what I know, Western Digital HDDs don't fit into the Network Adapter perfectly. They require some kind of modification to the HDD or the Network Adapter for proper use with the HDloader and the PS2.

PS2 = In this field, you have to select/put in your version of the FAT PS2. If you don't know which version your PS2 is, then check out this link...

http://www.psxservices.co.uk/ps2_version.htm

WORKING = This will actually tell you whether that particular branded/model no. drive works perfectly with the HDloader or not

Edit: For example, when I was trying to purchase an HDD for my PS2, I checked out which brands were available to me. I came to know the only ones that were good with good after sales services and warranty were Samsung and Seagate. After that, I decided that 160 GB HDDs would be the ones that I could afford, so I checked out the compatibility list and made two searches.

First, I selected "Samsung" in the BRAND field of the search bar in the drop down list, and then put in "160" in the SIZE, and selected "YES" in the FITTING and WORKING field of the search bar. Also, my FAT PS2 has the model number SCPH-50004, which means mine is a v9 console, so I put v9 in the PS2 field.

Second, I did the same thing as above but this time I selected "Seagate" in the BRAND field and it showed me all the drives of that particular brand.

I saved the search results and took printouts for both the brands, took em to the hardware store where I buy all my computer stuff, told the guy there to show me the HDDs, checked out all the model numbers on the HDD labels and bought the Samsung one, which was compatible on that list

Just do this and you shouldn't face any problem buying an HDD for your PS2
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 9th-August-2007 at 20:01.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    From what I know, Western Digital HDDs don't fit into the Network Adapter perfectly. They require some kind of modification to the HDD or the Network Adapter for proper use with the HDloader and the PS2.
    Damn, do you perhaps know of any site or something else where I could find more information about this?

Thanks a bunch btw .

EDIT: Oh and is RPM important?
    Last edited by B0r4n; 10th-August-2007 at 15:14.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Damn, do you perhaps know of any site or something else where I could find more information about this?

Thanks a bunch btw .

EDIT: Oh and is RPM important?
    RPM stands for Rotations Per Minute.
    The higher the RPM, the less time it would(well should) take for files to load up.
    That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivolt View Post
    RPM stands for Rotations Per Minute.
    The higher the RPM, the less time it would(well should) take for files to load up.
    That's my understanding of it, anyway.
    Yeah...exactly. It would be better if your HDD has a higher RPM. My Samsung (PS2) HDD is at 7200 RPM Still, it wouldn't hurt to get an HDD with a higher RPM, but if you already have one which is at 5200, then its okay. Wouldn't make that much of a difference

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    From what I know, Western Digital HDDs don't fit into the Network Adapter perfectly. They require some kind of modification to the HDD or the Network Adapter for proper use with the HDloader and the PS2.
    Do you perhaps know of a place or site or whatever I could find more information about this modification stuff?

Thanks

Do you perhaps know of a place or site or whatever I could find more information about this modification stuff?
    Take a look at this thread....

http://psx-scene.com/forums/ide-hdd-...oesnt-fit.html

Take a look at amp2006's post in that thread. He has mentioned the whole thing with pictures as to what needs to be done to fit a Western Digital HDD to the official Sony Network Adapter