Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AGP 8x/4x settings not saving.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try running RTHDRIBL

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

It will make your card cry. Also, I meant no matter what should that card dip in the 20s but whatever, 50ish is cool enough.

Something just isn't right with the card.... What voltage is it running at?

Thanks

How do I find out what voltage it's running at? And if it was a voltage issue, wouldn't all games succumb to glitches like HL2?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    How do I find out what voltage it's running at? And if it was a voltage issue, wouldn't all games succumb to glitches like HL2?
    yea but as we've already established, I'm out of ideas.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpfix/agpfix.html

That should help, your running 3.0. Look around in the BIOS for something called PC health status or something similar, and you'll find some options letting you change the DRAM voltage, cpu voltages and what not. Find one called AGP bus or something similar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    yea but as we've already established, I'm out of ideas.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpfix/agpfix.html

That should help, your running 3.0. Look around in the BIOS for something called PC health status or something similar, and you'll find some options letting you change the DRAM voltage, cpu voltages and what not. Find one called AGP bus or something similar.
    Bahah, I have had that page bookmarked for days now. Tried everything with it, thanks to it I managed to change the bandwidth to 4x.

There are no such controls in my BIOS. The only thing I can do is change the 4x/8x bandwidth(which doesn't really do anything) or choose aperture size, nothing that lets me adjust voltage or anything. Is there any software that can do this safely? One of the Steam support articles suggests to set the voltage to 1.6v.

Would you suggest swapping the power connectors of my card for that of another device hooked up to my PSU? There are only 2 HD's and 1 DVD-rw in my PC, and my card gets the 4th power connector. They all get the same amount of amperages right, so it shouldn't matter?

I ran that HDR test thingy it ran fine, solid 24fps but it felt smoother.

Thanks
    EP Points

Bahah, I have had that page bookmarked for days now. Tried everything with it, thanks to it I managed to change the bandwidth to 4x.

There are no such controls in my BIOS. The only thing I can do is change the 4x/8x bandwidth(which doesn't really do anything) or choose aperture size, nothing that lets me adjust voltage or anything. Is there any software that can do this safely? One of the Steam support articles suggests to set the voltage to 1.6v.

Would you suggest swapping the power connectors of my card for that of another device hooked up to my PSU? There are only 2 HD's and 1 DVD-rw in my PC, and my card gets the 4th power connector. They all get the same amount of amperages right, so it shouldn't matter?

I ran that HDR test thingy it ran fine, solid 24fps but it felt smoother.
    YES! I would highly recommend that your card gets its own line, and everything is on another.

There really is no way to safely change the voltage using software, but I believe rivatuner can do it the safest.

Thanks

YES! I would highly recommend that your card gets its own line, and everything is on another.

There really is no way to safely change the voltage using software, but I believe rivatuner can do it the safest.
    Are you sure rivatuner can do it? I recently uninstalled it and I don't think it had that option, but if it does I'll go get it again. Btw that same site mentions that BIOS's that don't have a voltage adjustment section for GPU's is probably an indication that the motherboard doesn't support voltage changes.

Hmm I'll have to figure out a way to make my card get its own line, there are only 4 power lines, each are chained so it's 2 connectors on each, and I have 2Hdd's and a dvdrw so all are taken.

I think I'll try running it with the DVDrw as it's always idle and barely drawing any power, that is, assuming the power to my gfx card is chained to one of the HD's and not my DVDrw. Will crack open the PC tomorrow and try this, thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Are you sure rivatuner can do it? I recently uninstalled it and I don't think it had that option, but if it does I'll go get it again. Btw that same site mentions that BIOS's that don't have a voltage adjustment section for GPU's is probably an indication that the motherboard doesn't support voltage changes.

Hmm I'll have to figure out a way to make my card get its own line, there are only 4 power lines, each are chained so it's 2 connectors on each, and I have 2Hdd's and a dvdrw so all are taken.

I think I'll try running it with the DVDrw as it's always idle and barely drawing any power, that is, assuming the power to my gfx card is chained to one of the HD's and not my DVDrw. Will crack open the PC tomorrow and try this, thanks.
    give it as much juice as you can, it doesn't have to be on its on line but its also not getting a whole lot of power through the bus, so the less on the line, the better. I would think it would just be a locked BIOS, but I could be wrong, I'd wait for polo's advice on changing voltages in windows.

Thanks

Hey again. I tried running it on it's own power rail, didn't fix it at all. The bugs seem to get progressively worse as I progress in single player for example. Ie: first characters I get to see on screen are ok, no glitches, but after advancing, new characters that show up(eg: stalkers in EP1) or weapons if I do the all weapons cheat start having those glitches.

In multiplayer it can start off well but after a while next time I look at another person they're all full of glitches, and weapons and certain objects are always glitchy, eg a triangular piece of texture stretched over part of a fence or something making it opaque..

The glitches kinda remind me of some early playstation games' gfx glitches, Tomb Raider comes to mind, as if you move around, some glitches appear to go away when looked at from a different angle.

Thanks
    EP Points

You sure you arent having a overheating issue?

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey again. I tried running it on it's own power rail, didn't fix it at all. The bugs seem to get progressively worse as I progress in single player for example. Ie: first characters I get to see on screen are ok, no glitches, but after advancing, new characters that show up(eg: stalkers in EP1) or weapons if I do the all weapons cheat start having those glitches.

In multiplayer it can start off well but after a while next time I look at another person they're all full of glitches, and weapons and certain objects are always glitchy, eg a triangular piece of texture stretched over part of a fence or something making it opaque..

The glitches kinda remind me of some early playstation games' gfx glitches, Tomb Raider comes to mind, as if you move around, some glitches appear to go away when looked at from a different angle.
    I'm still convinced that it is a software issue. Upgrade to these just for the hell of it, this is a VERY stable release, I guarantee polo's lie on it!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    You sure you arent having a overheating issue?
    Yep I tried the open case + fan on max pointing inwards and brought the GPU down by 20 C, still happened. Plus my temps are always safe in Nvidia's control panel.

Wait a second, that doesn't tell me what driver version it is(I mean the actual driver as in 94.24, they can't make a jump to something like 162). What is the difference between that driver and the 94.24 driver I have? Isn't forceware only meant for installing on several PC's? I don't want to install anything without being sure.

How can that be a stable release, it just came out 3 days ago.

Edit: Ok, I read the thing, I guess I'll uninstall my current drivers and give it a shot.

Edit: Got em installed, didn't do anything man. :/
    Last edited by Soeru; 29th-July-2007 at 10:45.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep I tried the open case + fan on max pointing inwards and brought the GPU down by 20 C, still happened. Plus my temps are always safe in Nvidia's control panel.

Wait a second, that doesn't tell me what driver version it is(I mean the actual driver as in 94.24, they can't make a jump to something like 162). What is the difference between that driver and the 94.24 driver I have? Isn't forceware only meant for installing on several PC's? I don't want to install anything without being sure.

How can that be a stable release, it just came out 3 days ago.

Edit: Ok, I read the thing, I guess I'll uninstall my current drivers and give it a shot.

Edit: Got em installed, didn't do anything man. :/
    Actually it was beta for a while, then they gave it the rubber stamp of approval 3 days ago

Well there's always 3rd party drivers. xtreme-g are the only custom drivers I trust.

http://www.tweaksrus.com/

Other than that, try going into to the steam folder and deleting hl2.cab. Then have steam verify the game contents, and it should redownload it. Might help, who knows

Where is that n00b polobunnez I wonder...

Thanks

Well these are the official drivers so it can't be them if no one else is reporting the same problem with HL2(I've read through dozens of google search result pages)

Like I said I deleted the entire Steam content on my PC and downloaded everything anew and it still happened. It did not happen with my Radeon when I switched back to it periodically and back again to the Nvidia(prior to formatting, but if I go uninstall the Nvidia and back to my Radeon again I know it'll work just fine), so it has to be the card's fault or some setting on my PC/card that is prohibiting the card from drawing the models properly, not a Steam problem...

Fast writes are off on my v-card(which is ideal as they only give problems). Should I try disabling the 256bit pipeline or sideband addressing options? Is that something safe to do? Don't want to risk burning anything up if I set an option the card/mobo doesn't support, but I have no idea what these options really do.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well these are the official drivers so it can't be them if no one else is reporting the same problem with HL2(I've read through dozens of google search result pages)

Like I said I deleted the entire Steam content on my PC and downloaded everything anew and it still happened. It did not happen with my Radeon when I switched back to it periodically and back again to the Nvidia(prior to formatting, but if I go uninstall the Nvidia and back to my Radeon again I know it'll work just fine), so it has to be the card's fault or some setting on my PC/card that is prohibiting the card from drawing the models properly, not a Steam problem...

Fast writes are off on my v-card(which is ideal as they only give problems). Should I try disabling the 256bit pipeline or sideband addressing options? Is that something safe to do? Don't want to risk burning anything up if I set an option the card/mobo doesn't support, but I have no idea what these options really do.
    nah I wouldn't try it. I meant try just deleting th cab file and leave everything else there, it worked one time before for some guy at hardocp even after a complete steam reinstallation.

Also, your swapping back forth between cards? That may be it actually be the problem. Have you done this since your formatted? if so, boot in safe mode and run this

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Tell it to remove ALL ATi drivers/software.

I officially have no idea what the problem is since its just half life based games giving you problems.... You could try contacting nvidia about it.

EDIT - wait, I wonder how hot the memory on your card is getting. Have you tried fitting ramsinks on there?
    Last edited by Panda Man; 30th-July-2007 at 14:57.

Thanks

Also, your swapping back forth between cards? That may be it actually be the problem. Have you done this since your formatted?
    Nope nope nope, not at all, after formatting I didn't go back and forth between cards, just installed the new card nice and clean. And I did do the card swaps appropriately anyway before formating by uninstalling all the previous driver stuff and running DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode, I'm assuming that's the link you posted).

I'll try the cab file thing, but was he getting the same errors I am getting? I don't think it's going to solve it as -before formatting- going back to my Radeon 9000 fixed the problem, while the Nvidia card still had the problems even when running at the same low settings that I had to run with my 9000(and I also tried forcing every dx level to no avail). Will do this and post back later.