Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest an anime!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for the info Gare. One more question. Is the Xenosaga anime any good? I saw it on a site that claims that the series is completed, and there are only 12 episodes to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tanthias View Post
    Thanks for the info Gare. One more question. Is the Xenosaga anime any good? I saw it on a site that claims that the series is completed, and there are only 12 episodes to it.
    It's not a bad series (well animated and well written, nothing overly special though), but it's basically a retelling of the first Xenosaga game. So the storyline just sort of falters and ends rather than giving any closure.

edit: While I'm here, I might as well put out a question myself. After a request from a friend, I'm looking for an anime that could be described as fucking metal. So a dark feel (bits of light are OK, especially if it's the post-victory sort of uplifting, but I'm not looking for another happy go lucky series right now), harsh storyline and a more grim treatment of violence than usual. Bonus points if there's actually a body count (or at least actual loss of something) amongst the major characters.

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague here, I doubt this means much to anyone besides Megalith.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 24th-July-2007 at 06:52.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    they control those demons? it's been done before.. pokemon, digimon, yugioh the list goes on
    So hold on.. are we talking about Death Note or Claymore? Well either way, the similarities are next to none. As Gare said, in Death Note's case, death gods are merely the bridge connecting the gap between the human world and the underworld. They take no orders from humans and they are there because they chose to. And well in Claymore, the yoma are threats to humans, so now that I think about it I don't think you meant Claymore in your initial post.

In that case, how about we change it to that style? So, I'm looking for an anime like Trigun, with the light-hearted antics caused (seemingly by accident most of the time) by Vash, and the seriousness that occasionaly occurs (generally having to do with people trying to hunt him down, or caused by someone else... I won't say the name because it could be considered a spoiler) but I don't want to watch a 150+ episode series. Any suggestions?
    You've seen Cowboy Bebop I presume? It's not THAT close to Trigun, but it has a few common themes with it. For example, just as Vash, Spike's (the main character) past is shrouded in mystery and is one of the things that gets slowly revealed along the course of the show. Watch it anyway, it's one the best anime series.

Try Fullmetal Alchemist as well. It's a 50 episode show, but definitely a worthwhile one.

Yeah the series is only 12 episodes. I found it pretty bad actually, if anything I watched it solely out of loyalty to the Xenosaga franchise. If you can get your hands on the game, you're better off playing it instead of watching the anime, since they butchered the story pretty badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    It's not a bad series (well animated and well written, nothing overly special though), but it's basically a retelling of the first Xenosaga game. So the storyline just sort of falters and ends rather than giving any closure.

edit: While I'm here, I might as well put out a question myself. After a request from a friend, I'm looking for an anime that could be described as fucking metal. So a dark feel (bits of light are OK, especially if it's the post-victory sort of uplifting, but I'm not looking for another happy go lucky series right now), harsh storyline and a more grim treatment of violence than usual. Bonus points if there's actually a body count (or at least actual loss of something) amongst the major characters.

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague here, I doubt this means much to anyone besides Megalith.
    Heh.. not that I've seen it, but try Texhnolyze. I've heard loads of great stuff about it, and it fits your description perfectly. I mean to watch it myself after I finish up Last Exile. The atmosphere is similar to that of Lain and the story is heavy with philosophy and cyberpunk influences. That's as far as I know. Do give me your insight if you watch it.

Thanks

In that case, how about we change it to that style? So, I'm looking for an anime like Trigun, with the light-hearted antics caused (seemingly by accident most of the time) by Vash, and the seriousness that occasionaly occurs (generally having to do with people trying to hunt him down, or caused by someone else... I won't say the name because it could be considered a spoiler) but I don't want to watch a 150+ episode series. Any suggestions?
    Coming back to the point, you might like the first Gatekeepers series. Typical light-hearted "schoolkids with powers" show, with a few subdued moment. It's also absolutely hilarious if you're old enough/clued in enough to get the USSR/Communism/Cold War references littered throughout the show. 26 episodes, iirc. There's a second series set about 20 years later, but it's much less lighthearted.

You could try watching Magical Lyrical Nanoha. It's pretty well a standard magical girl show ala Sailor Moon (minus the ensemble cast, there's only two magical girls involved here), but a little more boyish. There's a few 'oh fuck' moments thrown in for good measure, but it's still fairly light overall. Only 13 episodes, not counting the sequels.

Bear in mind that I'm a fairly morbid sort of person, so whats lighthearted to might not be to you.

@Megalith: I've seen the first few eps of Texhnolyze before (Real Life intervened and prevented me watching beyond ep3). It's definitely one of the sorts of thing I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 24th-July-2007 at 10:34.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for the info about Xenosaga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
    You've seen Cowboy Bebop I presume? It's not THAT close to Trigun, but it has a few common themes with it. For example, just as Vash, Spike's (the main character) past is shrouded in mystery and is one of the things that gets slowly revealed along the course of the show. Watch it anyway, it's one the best anime series.

Try Fullmetal Alchemist as well. It's a 50 episode show, but definitely a worthwhile one.

Yeah the series is only 12 episodes. I found it pretty bad actually, if anything I watched it solely out of loyalty to the Xenosaga franchise. If you can get your hands on the game, you're better off playing it instead of watching the anime, since they butchered the story pretty badly.
    Yes, I have seen (most of) Cowboy Bebop, and am currently watching Fullmetal Alchemist as well. And thanks for the info about Xenosaga, as well as the suggestions.
    Coming back to the point, you might like the first Gatekeepers series. Typical light-hearted "schoolkids with powers" show, with a few subdued moment. It's also absolutely hilarious if you're old enough/clued in enough to get the USSR/Communism/Cold War references littered throughout the show. 26 episodes, iirc. There's a second series set about 20 years later, but it's much less lighthearted.

You could try watching Magical Lyrical Nanoha. It's pretty well a standard magical girl show ala Sailor Moon (minus the ensemble cast, there's only two magical girls involved here), but a little more boyish. There's a few 'oh fuck' moments thrown in for good measure, but it's still fairly light overall. Only 13 episodes, not counting the sequels.

Bear in mind that I'm a fairly morbid sort of person, so whats lighthearted to might not be to you.
    Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out. And who of us can honestly say that they aren't morbid in their own sort of way?

Thanks

@Megalith: I've seen the first few eps of Texhnolyze before (Real Life intervened and prevented me watching beyond ep3). It's definitely one of the sorts of thing I'm looking for.
    Check out then the new show Claymore. I realise how much I've whored the show, but it really is worth it. The violence is on par with the level found in Berserk and Elfen Lied, and the story might seem generic on first inspection but it is anything but that. If you do look into it, just make sure to get past the first 4 episodes. I've found them pretty darn awesome, but it might give the false impression that the series is just another demon-slaying show, which it is not. 16 episodes released so far and the seventeenth will be out by tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Alright, so lately I've been in the mood for a really gripping anime series, but aside from the odd show here and there, I've not found anything that's compelling enough to keep me entertained through a whole series. So suggest me an anime, people!

I don't really have a genre preference so to speak, though I do tend to gravitate towards the more light-hearted shows out there. However, as long as it's good, I'll check it out.

What do ya say?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try Irresponsible Captain Tyler. old, space opera about Earth against alien invaders. Pretty much sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

I came across Vision of Escaflowne, and I was wondering if anyone has seen it, and if it was any good. I've seen the Escaflowne movie, and I thought it was pretty decent, but is the anime as good as the movie was?
    Depends, a lot of love story tones, but Good imo. I wish I remembered, as it's been about 7 years since I saw it, and didn't see all of it. But I remember I enjoyed it.

What gives, people? Nobody remembers the classics??? NINJA SCROLL!!!! Not the lame Resurrection series, the original. Winner of the Obari Film Festival. I'm talking 8 devils, Jubei and Kagero, snakes coming out of snatches. Good Clean Fun. The way he finishes the last Devil is EPIC.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Greatest Teacher Onizuka a.k.a GTO. There's a jmovie made of it aswell. Got to dl that.
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here

Thanks
    EP Points

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. loads of fun trust me

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've already watched it, but thanks.

You're right too. It's good stuff.

Thanks
    EP Points

You could check out Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. It's basically a mecha/war anime similar to Full Metal Panic, with some parts that reminded me of Death Note. I'm not a big fan of mecha shows in general, but this one's worth watching.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Try Irresponsible Captain Tyler. old, space opera about Earth against alien invaders. Pretty much sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Depends, a lot of love story tones, but Good imo. I wish I remembered, as it's been about 7 years since I saw it, and didn't see all of it. But I remember I enjoyed it.

What gives, people? Nobody remembers the classics??? NINJA SCROLL!!!! Not the lame Resurrection series, the original. Winner of the Obari Film Festival. I'm talking 8 devils, Jubei and Kagero, snakes coming out of snatches. Good Clean Fun. The way he finishes the last Devil is EPIC.
    I'll check those out (assuming I can find them that is). Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCyntax View Post
    "Code Geass" it's mix of death note and good old mecha anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    You could check out Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. It's basically a mecha/war anime similar to Full Metal Panic, with some parts that reminded me of Death Note. I'm not a big fan of mecha shows in general, but this one's worth watching.
    First season complete and starting the second season. 25 episodes.
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion View Post
    Alright, so lately I've been in the mood for a really gripping anime series, but aside from the odd show here and there, I've not found anything that's compelling enough to keep me entertained through a whole series. So suggest me an anime, people!

I don't really have a genre preference so to speak, though I do tend to gravitate towards the more light-hearted shows out there. However, as long as it's good, I'll check it out.

What do ya say?
    Maybe Trigun or Cowboy Bebop? Trigun is more of a western style anime, and the main character, Vash, is a wanted man that's worth 60 billion double dollars. From what I remember of the anime, it is fairly light hearted, but it may get more serious as the story progresses. Cowboy Bebop is a space type anime, and it's pretty funny at times. The four main characters are bounty hunters, tracking down (seemingly, from what little I remember) random criminals.