Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest an anime!

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd say Eden of the East is one of my favorite anime. It's a very short series (11 episodes) but is quite enjoyable. A bit of lighthearted charm with a strange undertone of secrecy and seriousness. This show gets rather trippy at some point, but never even approaches the level of trippy-ness that FLCL had. Definitely worth the watch.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    So I consider anything made after 2000 newer...*puts on old fogey glasses*

Also, I need something to watch. Drama preferred. Mecha I haven't heard of is also welcome, but could be hard to know.
    Don't worry, that doesn't make you an old fogey. For me, it has to be before the early or mid-90s to be old. Maison Ikkoku = classic. Kimagure Orange Road = classic. Haruhi = new, across the board, in art style, creation techniques, and presentation (deconstruction, ahoy!).

Let's see, drama drama drama. I suppose it depends on what kind of drama you're looking for. Well, if you like mecha, Gundam's an obvious choice, and one you've almost certainly heard of. 08th MS Team is probably my favourite, and probably the most "realistic" of the series. Gankutsuou is a good adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo (with mecha!), but the art style takes a bit of getting used to. Escaflowne is also a classic of the early fantasy mecha. Magic Knight Rayearth might also be to your tastes, though it is strictly speaking high fantasy, and CLAMP. Fafner in the Blue Azure was a somewhat decent sci-fi mecha title, and...I'm drawing a blank on much else mecha-wise. Last Exile isn't mecha, but very steampunky, and I do enjoy it despite the usual Studio Gonzo pitfalls. Soukou no Strain is mecha, and rather decent apart from the very...weird episode in the middle (you'll know it when you see it). Starship Operators is rather good, though a bit slow in parts, and also not mecha even if it is sci-fi. Legend of Galactic Heroes is brilliant, not mecha, but in the vein of space opera meeting Tolstoy (longest OVA ever, at 110 episodes). Planetes is very good, but about as hard as you can get and still be science fiction, so no mecha, and no big space battles between flying battleships; conflict comes from the characters, politics, and so forth.

Pulling for non-sci-fi and non-mecha works, works based on Key games tend to be strong on the melodrama. Clannad and the KyoAni adaptation of Kanon in 2006 are probably the best choices in that respect; Air and the older OVA version of Kanon from 2002 are good, too, but for the latter, fans of the original VN rose a bit of a fuss over it (no "Last Regrets" = nerdraeg, apparently), and since it's the same story, I'd go with the longer, higher-budget KyoAni's version. Princess Tutu is very, very good, but it's very shoujo, and very steeped in ballet (though of the more "heroic epic subverted" school) to the point where you can actually pick up on the specific ballets being referenced, so it might not be to your tastes; it also varies between tragedy and comedy in a classical ballet sense, where the first half is more comedic/light and the second more tragic/dark. Nodame Cantabile and sequels Paris Chapter and Finale are all good, but like Princess Tutu, it's rather shoujo (pure romance, here), varies in tone, and is steeped in a particular field (classical music); I actually went out and bought some Rachmaninoff CDs after watching it. Ayashi no Ceres is another good shoujo drama, which I should consider rewatching as well (though Yuuhi kinda gets put through a wringer, which hurt hard the first time I saw it). Finally, this one's very, very shoujo, but I can't also go without recommending Tanemura Arina's magical girl works Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (magical girl fights demons) and Full Moon wo Sagashite (girl with throat cancer becomes a magical girl idol singer), especially the latter (which will hammer the drama button hard when it hits; Arinacchi is a good manga-ka, but I think the only heroines with a stable family/love life she ever did were in her early one-shots...well, just I.O.N., I think...). Finally, I love Kimi ni Todoke, but don't go into it if you want any action as in a mecha series; it's purely high-school romance. Oh, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica - strong-shoujo, cutesy magical girl anime right down the ridiculously-puni art style, but everyone recommends watching the first three episodes before deciding one way or the other for a very good reason...

EDIT: Added links. Did you know Starship Troopers had an anime? I didn't until I made a mistake searching for Starship Operators...
    Last edited by Mistral; 17th-June-2011 at 04:43.

Thanks
    EP Points

Gankutsuou is a good adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo (with mecha!), but the art style takes a bit of getting used to.
    The only parts that take getting used to are unmoving plaid and closet homo-eroticism, pretty much.

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, what the hell, I might as well toss in my 2 cents even if it's late. I enjoy making silly lists.

So anyway, if you want a show that will make you scream at your TV/monitor/whatever, go watch School Days . Fun for the whole family!

Someone mentioned Baccano above. Follow his advice and watch this ASAP. Its only crime is that it's only like 16 episodes. I could've watched this shit for twice as long, honestly. It also manages to have one of most delightfully batshit crazy villains ever. Scenes involving said villain might make you giggle like a schoolgirl while he beats people to death. Not to mention its soundtrack is quite funky.

The Twelve Kingdoms is pretty good from what I remember. I haven't watched it in ages, though.

And I'm pretty sure I've mentioned Kaiji a few times already.

And holy shit guys, why aren't you watching Hanasaku Iroha. Although, it's not even halfway done. Hell, if it takes a nosedive, I'll be the first to admit it. But so far, it's pretty fun to watch.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    EDIT: Added links. Did you know Starship Troopers had an anime? I didn't until I made a mistake searching for Starship Operators...
    There is an anime? I know there was a CG series but, I was unaware of an anime.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    And holy shit guys, why aren't you watching Hanasaku Iroha. Although, it's not even halfway done. Hell, if it takes a nosedive, I'll be the first to admit it. But so far, it's pretty fun to watch.
    It's on my list of things to watch, but I don't start a series until it's finished with a season at least. I tend to watch a full series in 3-4 sittings, so waiting a week for the next one would drive me crazy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How about samurai champloo

Thanks
    EP Points

Fate Stay Night.
    Best anime I've ever seen.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Anime with sharp humor?

can anyone tell me some animes with a sharp humor? similar to disgaea and super robot taisen og saga endless frontier? (although those are games)

i dont mind if its ecchi but no hentai plz

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Disgaea has an anime series. If a reworked script doesn't bother you, Ghost Stories is great. Desert Punk is humorous, gets a little serious towards the end.

Thanks
    EP Points

saw desert punk and disgaea, both awesome despite crap rewright and censorship

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    saw desert punk and disgaea, both awesome despite crap rewright and censorship
    Disgaea was censored? The only anime I've seen with a new script is Ghost Stories. It was warranted, the show wouldn't have been worth watching otherwise.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah such as the prinnies having fish instead of machetes, and its new script wasn't bad but it wasn't good, i didn't like what they removed i liked what they added, and i didn't mind how the merged all the endings together into one, however i did particularly enjoy how they put heavy emphasis on midboss (Vyres) being king krechefskoy reincarnated

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    yeah such as the prinnies having fish instead of machetes, and its new script wasn't bad but it wasn't good, i didn't like what they removed i liked what they added, and i didn't mind how the merged all the endings together into one, however i did particularly enjoy how they put heavy emphasis on midboss (Vyres) being king krechefskoy reincarnated
    Sure they didn't just use the fish in the anime? I've never seen the Japanese version, so I wouldn't know. Actually editing a show is pretty expensive.

Thanks
    EP Points

im talking about it being censored straight out of japan, not American censorship