Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying Sega Saturn Part Numbers...

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by V|_@M3 View Post
    so how would you go about making a SS goodset?
    Buy the games and dump them yourself There are a fair number of things you can't be certain of, mostly concerning audio. There can easily be small jitters you can't hear, or your bin+cue could have lossy audio if somebody took it and went iso+mp3>CDR>bin+cue (I know I've seen it done).

Of course that's just if your making a Goodset. If everything sounds good and seems to work correctly I suppose it's good enough
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    Nope.
    But hunt out *.mds/*.mdf (Alcohol 120%) images, as they'll have ~2 second out of sync audio.
    Check all cue sheets, is what I advise. Oh yeah, if you find anything ISO/MP3, or none lossless. Delete it!
    Bin/Cue, Iso/Wav, Iso/Ape, is the way to go! [or any other lossless formats...]
    So from what I understand I want nothing but Bin/Cue format? Also, you mentioned MDS/MDF being a bit off sync in audio tracks? (2seconds) is it still ok to keep or do I have to convert it? Also, how can I tell if a ISO/MP3 has been retooled to BIN/CUE?

Your last bit confused me... please repost it like this ->

Good Formats:

Bad Formats:

Thnx.

Thanks
    EP Points

Good formats: Bin/Cue (Made with CDRwin, or another program) Ccd/Img/Sub (Made with CloneCD, or something that makes them), Iso/Wav (Because wave's lossless) Iso/Ape (Because Ape is lossless) .b5t (Made with Blindwrite) Nrg (Nero image, made with Nero. Containing all audio tracks. Only way to tell will be to open it with ISOBuster) Bin/Cue made with ISOBuster.

Bad formats: Mdf/Mds (Made with Alcohol 120%), Iso(or Bin)/MP3/OGG, other lossy formats.

There isn't anyway to tell if it's been an iso/mp3 conversion, as it'll have been converted to wave therefore putting it back to usual cdda size, but lossy quality.

*NOTE* Mdf/Mds images can be converted. I think. If you mount it, rerip it to bin/cue and remove the "pregap 00:02:00"s. Note I said I think
    Last edited by Inferno.; 17th-May-2007 at 13:49.

Thanks

alcohol120% mdf/mds isn't a bad format. It's bad if you rip a game with audio tracks into bin/cue using alcohol120%. THEN you will get the 2 seconds shift in the audio track times

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    alcohol120% mdf/mds isn't a bad format. It's bad if you rip a game with audio tracks into bin/cue using alcohol120%. THEN you will get the 2 seconds shift in the audio track times
    Not true, because I have downloaded an mdf/mds saturn image, burnt it and on the real system the audio was 2 seconds out of sync. But I think it's an issue thats been resolved in newer versions of the Alcohol.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well i got the latest version so I'm set. Thnx for your help. I will post back if I need more helps. Thankies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    Not true, because I have downloaded an mdf/mds saturn image, burnt it and on the real system the audio was 2 seconds out of sync. But I think it's an issue thats been resolved in newer versions of the Alcohol.
    or it could be that previously the image was ripped as a bin/cue with alcohol120% by somebody creating the 2 seconds off-sync, spread around, and somebody else burned and re-ripped it as mds/mdf and spread that one around

the mds/mdf is too new and precise (by other format standards) to make such an error IMO. I never encountered the 2 sec off-sync in my mds/mdf mixed mode images, only in bin/cue images created by alcohol (all of them, as in many)
    Last edited by Myst; 18th-May-2007 at 10:43.