Thread: Questions about copying games

Thanks

Default Questions about copying games

OK, to start with the simple stuff... Here's my failure. lol

I have Legend of the Dragoon as an original PS1 game. 4 discs, black bottoms, the whole 9 yards... So I used a program called MagicISO to make an ISO of the game and then emulated it on Daemon Tools so that it was being read as an actual disc. I then used Nero and selected "Copy CD" to make a burned version of my game. It worked as an ISO on ePSXe and it also worked as the original disc and then burned disc. I thought everything was going great... Then I tried the game on my friend's PS2 and the screen gave a message that said "Please enter a Playstation or Playstation 2 game." and I am guessing this means I did something wrong in the process of copying?

I also tried the same with my Xbox game, however, I used DVDDecrypted and only got a file of 13MB?

I also have alot of other questions that if someone doesn't mind putting the time into answering, would be really helpful.

1. Does my PS2 or Xbox have to be "modded" to play burned games?
    2. What exactly is "modding"?
    3. Is there a process to make a copy of my discs without "modding" my system?
    4. For PS1, PS2, and Xbox games, does it matter between CD and DVD blanks? I did my PS1 games on CD.

I am sure even with all these answers, I'll still understand very little, but hopefully, with these answers, I can actually ask the right questions to learn what I need to know. Thanks ahead of time if anyone puts the time into this thread to help a Noob out.

Thanks
    EP Points

1. Does my PS2 or Xbox have to be "modded" to play burned games?

PS2, no. Xbox, yes.

PS2: You can use a range of different 'Swap-discs' if you do not want to physically add a modchip. Somebody else with greater knowledge on the subject should be able to fill you in there.

Xbox: Xbox's come with one of three DVD drives, IIRC only one fo them could read burned discs. So you would have to have it modded, and the right DVD drive to read burned discs. Most people download the images and stick them on the Xbox's hard drive to play them. BTW, you can't rip Xbox games with a PC.

2. What exactly is "modding"?

In this sense, adding a third party device that eliminates copy protection on consoles and usually adds a range of other features.

3. Is there a process to make a copy of my discs without "modding" my system?

Only with PS2 and Gamecube. PS2, see above. Gamecube, you probably would not want to bother.

4. For PS1, PS2, and Xbox games, does it matter between CD and DVD blanks? I did my PS1 games on CD.

Well, if the games were originally on CDs, burn them to CDs. If the game was a DVD, burn it to a DVD. Though it is possible to burn DVD games to CDs. I don't know about CD > DVD.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

So "modding" is changing the system itself in a way for it to play games on it's own, and "swapping" from what I've read is to use a real game and switch them back and forth a few times until it plays the burned game (basically tricking the system?)?

So ultimately, there is no way to have a store brand PS2 and play a copy of my PS1 or PS2 games? I would have to do something to the system in some way to be able to play my games, or I would have to "swap" discs? Modding and swapping are the only two techniques that work? No way to just rip, copy, burn, play?
    Last edited by enola; 22nd-April-2007 at 07:08.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by enola View Post
    No way to just rip, copy, burn, play?
    Simply. No.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

Ah well, like they say... nothing's ever easy. lol

Side thought though... You mentioned that you can't rip Xbox games with a PC? How come? And what do you use if not a PC? Is it even possible to make copies of an Xbox game?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by enola View Post
    Ah well, like they say... nothing's ever easy. lol

Side thought though... You mentioned that you can't rip Xbox games with a PC? How come? And what do you use if not a PC? Is it even possible to make copies of an Xbox game?
    Yep. you can't. Because Microsoft put some awesome copy protec tion on the discs.

You use a program that you install on a modded Xbox. You rip the game to the Xbox HDD and then FTP it over to your PC to burn it, or keep it on the Xbox HDD to play. Most people who mod their Xboxs install a larger HDD in them, sop they can keep many games at a time on them. A standard Xbox HDD will fit about 2 or 3 games at the most.

Thanks

no system has {rip>burn>play} at all.

the closest is DC. and even that's pretty far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks

I'll have to look into how to mod my xbox then. lol. And how to get a bigger HDD...

By the way, I know this probably goes in another section, but I read that the reason Emulators and Roms are not illegal is because they are abandonware, right? So doesn't that make anything after the Playstation 1 illegal? Also, with the addition of the Wii now out there, wouldn't it make any and all Nintendo cartridge games illegal as well becuase the Wii gives you access to all those games again?

Not trying to shake anyone's boots, but I'd just like to know if I'm pirating or not when I try to make back ups of my games, and also when I use emulators. I recommend everyone I know who misses the old games on older systems to emulators and roms, after all. Just thought it fair to know if it was ok to tell people about this in casual conversation. I remember how much the Napster thing did for downloading music... and now anyone you talk to about it gets these looks like your a criminal. lol. That almost cost me a HDD for christmas one year when my grandmother found out downloading was illegal. LOL

Thanks

For PS2 games, i personally use the Cogswap method of playing them, heres a link to my thread if you wanna check it out. Its got what you need to do it and a link to a tutorial.

http://www.epforums.org/play-ps2-bac...889/index.html
    Hey Boy! You look mighty cute in them jeans.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by V|_@M3 View Post
    no system has {rip>burn>play} at all.

the closest is DC. and even that's pretty far from it.
    No current system has {rip>burn>play} at all.
    Older stuff does work, for instance the SegaCD, 3DO, TurboDuo, all work fine with copied games. After copying became easily doable every console had to add anti-piracy features.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

sorry ragnar, I meant that or, like any console SOMEONE OWNS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I'm not someone
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here