Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The BEST RPG

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The BEST RPG

I need the best PSXRPG ever. One that will keep me interested enoguh to play through the whole thing. I beat FF7-9,BoF3,Lunar Star,etc... I'm kinda looking for something taht strays from the cliche. I just don't want anythingt o do with like cards and shit. Ideas?

Thanks

star ocean second story
    dragoon
    chrono cross

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skakidd View Post
    star ocean second story
    dragoon
    chrono cross
    I've beat two of those. Dragoon I didn't like.

SO was excellent. good enough for me to play both stories.

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

Front Mission 3
    Suikoden II
    Valkyrie Profile
    Star Ocean
    Tales of Destiny
    Legend of Mana

Thanks

Persona 1 and 2: Games in the best tradition of Megami Tensei. Brutally difficult and grind heavy, but one twisted ride if you've got the endurance for it.
    Rhapsody: Short and childish tac-rpg. Lots of fun if you don't mind an easy and alternately comedic/melodramatic trek.
    Hoshigami: Tac-RPG that pulls no punches in difficulty
    Jade Cocoon: A lot like pokemon and monster rancher, although tragically short.

and I second Front Mission 3, even if it does turn into a grindfest right at the end.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 19th-April-2007 at 02:40.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    Persona 1 and 2
    Rhapsody (yeah, it's short and kiddy. It's also a lot of cheesy fun)
    Hoshigami
    Jade Cocoon

and I second Front Mission 3, even if it does turn into a grindfest right at the end.
    I played a good ways into Jade Cocoon when I was young. You like, mix monsters or something like that? I remember you can capture them.

also, I have Persona 1 on the other Pc and I was thinking of putting an emu on there to play it since I can't burn weith it anymore. What's grindfest mean too? Level grinding?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosnake View Post
    I played a good ways into Jade Cocoon when I was young. You like, mix monsters or something like that? I remember you can capture them.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosnake View Post
    also, I have Persona 1 on the other Pc and I was thinking of putting an emu on there to play it since I can't burn weith it anymore. What's grindfest mean too? Level grinding?
    Level grinding is part of it, but ability grinding in this case is the main part. the Persona games let each character equip Personas, which are spirit/demon things that grant different special attacks. But they have to be levelled up individually, so every time a new batch become available you'll have to spend time gathering up the resources to buy the new creatures, figuring out which ones are viable, levelling them up and checking to see if you can unlock any new teamup attacks (which are unlocked by having the right element abilities used in the right order during a battle turn. Not too difficult to stumble across, but time consuming). Fail to do any part of that, and the next set of monsters will wipe the floor with you.

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried legend of legaia? It interested me, I think due to space constraints I had to get rid of it, I'd like to play it again at some point

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Xenogears? I've never played it, so I don't know about cliches, but I've heard it's good.

FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre both play very differently from conventional RPGs, and both are basically set in war. FF Tactics is set in a War of the Roses knock-off with a side of religion, and Tactics Ogre is ethnic strife and civil war. Suikoden I and II were mentioned - again, not so sure about cliches in the stories of either, but they both include set piece battles and duels (basically rock-paper-scissors) in addition to conventional character battles, and a large amount of characters to use. Rhapsody's also good fun.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ziltoid the Omniscient View Post
    Have you tried legend of legaia? It interested me, I think due to space constraints I had to get rid of it, I'd like to play it again at some point
    Legend of Legaia is an excellent game.
    you could try Legend of Mana, Alundra, The other Final Fantasy's that got Released on PSX, Xenogears, Grandia, many others that i cant think off the top of my head.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    Yep

Level grinding is part of it, but ability grinding in this case is the main part. the Persona games let each character equip Personas, which are spirit/demon things that grant different special attacks. But they have to be levelled up individually, so every time a new batch become available you'll have to spend time gathering up the resources to buy the new creatures, figuring out which ones are viable, levelling them up and checking to see if you can unlock any new teamup attacks (which are unlocked by having the right element abilities used in the right order during a battle turn. Not too difficult to stumble across, but time consuming). Fail to do any part of that, and the next set of monsters will wipe the floor with you.
    Well, I'm about to play Persona so I'll say if I like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziltoid the Omniscient View Post
    I did a few years back when it came out. Got to where you get the monk dude. I didn't like having to level them up when you get them. They need to be pre-leveled atleast alittle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Xenogears? I've never played it, so I don't know about cliches, but I've heard it's good.

FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre both play very differently from conventional RPGs, and both are basically set in war. FF Tactics is set in a War of the Roses knock-off with a side of religion, and Tactics Ogre is ethnic strife and civil war. Suikoden I and II were mentioned - again, not so sure about cliches in the stories of either, but they both include set piece battles and duels (basically rock-paper-scissors) in addition to conventional character battles, and a large amount of characters to use. Rhapsody's also good fun.
    I don't like Tactical RPG's as I worry too much like in chess. I hate dying. I played Xeno Saga on PS2 and didn't like it much. Is Xeno Gear anything like it? I seem to recall Suikden. What happens in it?

Thanks

Comparing XenoGears to Xenosaga 2 is like comparing pure brilliant awesomeness to a steaming pile of shit. No actually.. thats insulting to every steaming pile of shit on the planet. So yeah, go get Xenogears and play it, it's good.
    Suikoden I-II are also good choices, especially the second one, and then there is Chrono Cross. I'll just assume you've played/finished Chrono Trigger on the snes or else you should finish that first

Thanks

I will always stick with final fantasy 7, thats the game that really truned me into a hard core gamer. Before i started playing that game I would play video games for 2 hours strait max. And after playing threw final fanstay it increased my gaming stamina to the point where i could play games 12 hours strait.. but besides that it had a great story and blah blah blah

Thanks
    EP Points

I second Star Ocean, and Legend of Legia.
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is an action-RPG. Level up, gain new abilities, find new weapons and armor and shit, it's great.
    I liked Threads of Fate, you could try that out. A 3d action-RPG similar to Brave Fencer Musashi, also by Square.
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming View Post
    I second Star Ocean, and Legend of Legia.
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is an action-RPG. Level up, gain new abilities, find new weapons and armor and shit, it's great.
    I liked Threads of Fate, you could try that out. A 3d action-RPG similar to Brave Fencer Musashi, also by Square.
    I'm probably one of the most harcore SoTN gomers you'll ever find. Check my sig. I didn't really like threads of fate. Wasn't my style. I made it to the cave and just stopped playing. I beat BFM too.