Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future Of the ps2??

Thanks

oh, i see, well, to me the DC is in it's own line.

ah, so, the wii is as crappy as i thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by pirates dc View Post
    I was thinking something like the way Microsoft is going to be putting out the hd-dvd drive to add to the 360.
    Same thing really, although Microsoft have said that they don't intend to use it for any games. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the idea of upgradeable consoles though. It's cool in theory but in reality it defeats the object of having something you can just plug in and play. That's why I mentioned the Sega Genesis. People got pissed off with all the constant add-ons and bought PlayStations instead.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Same thing really, although Microsoft have said that they don't intend to use it for any games. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the idea of upgradeable consoles though. It's cool in theory but in reality it defeats the object of having something you can just plug in and play. That's why I mentioned the Sega Genesis. People got pissed off with all the constant add-ons and bought PlayStations instead.
    I agree, what's the point in having a console if you have to buy upgrades for it all the time... that's why im a gen behind in PC games... I don't want to be constantly upgrading my PC just to play the cutting edge stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy View Post
    I agree, what's the point in having a console if you have to buy upgrades for it all the time... that's why im a gen behind in PC games... I don't want to be constantly upgrading my PC just to play the cutting edge stuff.
    The problem with that is that eventually the cutting edge stuff will be out dated. Now what i would like to do with a console is to be able to take advantage of technolgy as it comes out. I dont like to look at my console and say man.. I wish my [whatever] could do that Id rather be like wow that sounds awesome and go get the new peice of hardware that i want that would make my gaming expierince better

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Before they switched from cartridges to CD's, console game makers would "upgrade" by including additional chips and such into the cartridges.

Star Ocean for SNES was an example.

Not sure if something like this is possible with Blu-Ray or not since I don't know anything about it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The problem with that is that eventually the cutting edge stuff will be out dated. Now what i would like to do with a console is to be able to take advantage of technolgy as it comes out. I dont like to look at my console and say man.. I wish my [whatever] could do that Id rather be like wow that sounds awesome and go get the new peice of hardware that i want that would make my gaming expierince better
    The problem is that consoles are more prone to total redos than just minor upgrades.

More ram, better vid card, support for the latest CD format, different memcard style/size/format, new controllers/controller tweaks, etc.

And if you go with the "just stick another chunk on it" idea, you've got size problems. Can you picture how big a PS3 would be? Just stack a PS1 on a PS2, and then shove a PS3 on top. Sure it wouldn't be THAT big, but it'd be fairly close. Since it came up, the Genesis did that, and if you had the origional genesis and the old style SCD, that thing was huge. And then there's the 32X attachment... By the time you got fully upgraded, the thing was bulky and ugly.

Plus the attachments wouldn't drop costs all that much, since you're still using the same basic upgrades, you're just cutting off maybe $30-40 by just adding 4 year old tech to the new stuff instead of giving the new stuff the power of both.

And if you do things gradually like you wanted, the console would be gigantic, blocky, and would probably be incredibly glitchy. Plus you'd have to constantly buy new gear. Want to run that new game? Sorry, it uses the new vid add on. $50 plz. Want to play this new game? Well you need a bigger hard drive first. So go buy that add on. Plus tracking down older stuff to run your older games would be a pain in the ass eventually, if backward compat goes out the window. Or if back compat gets glitchy, which it probably will due to lack of troubleshooting time so that the new hardware will be on shelves in time for the games that run on it. And then there's always the fact that it takes a while for developers to get used to the latest stuff. Development would be hell with new parts coming out every (maybe?) 6-12 months.

Also all the time and money spent developing peripherals would probably bankrupt the company eventually, considering most consoles make more money on software than hardware. Unless you're willing to pay an extra $10-20 per chunk...

Eh, I'll stick to my five hundred and ninety nine us dollar sexy little console, as opposed to a $3000 blocky console that can't run anything pre-04 without glitching.

Thanks

the thing with sega back in those days the addon's were just that addons they weren't really needed.

Thanks

Get a PC.

As a developer, you have to aim towards a minimum common denominator. Same reason why PC games don't demand the latest tech to be run, even though they COULD look much better.

Upgradable consoles are a nightmare. Both for publishers AND consumers.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gumps567 View Post
    i think the main reason why we will not see it go away is because of the psp. alot of psp devs are just porting over there games to ps2 maximize profits. you can already see this with the gta's for psp and some other games.
    Oh shit, gumps posted! :O

Thanks

I just read that sony will be dropping the ps2 chip in the ps3.. i wonder if they are doing that to keep up the ps2 sales

Thanks
    EP Points

I just read that sony will be dropping the ps2 chip in the ps3.. i wonder if they are doing that to keep up the ps2 sales
    Nah. It's just gonna be software emulation of the PS2 (like the XBOX emulation in the XBOX 360). It's supposed to help keep costs down or something. Compatibility is still a bit iffy though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphis Cain View Post
    Nah. It's just gonna be software emulation of the PS2 (like the XBOX emulation in the XBOX 360). It's supposed to help keep costs down or something. Compatibility is still a bit iffy though.
    ah. i see oh late night mod