Thread: DOSBox?

Thanks

Default DOSBox?

Does anyone here know how to use DOSBox? I've recently download a couple of abandonware dos games, but I have no idea how to run them. It's been over 15 years since I've actually used DOS, and as such I don't remember a single thing about it or how to use it.

I've gotten DOSBOX, but it's so utterly confusing to me I don't have a clue where to start or what to do in order to run it

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1

You might want to look into finding a DOSBox front-end program as well.
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Thanks

I'm not really sure what a "front-end" program is, either. But thank you, I'll get it, whatever it is

Thanks
    EP Points

I use d-fend as the front end, works great Ive got a few unreleased games uploaded on my site that work well in DOSBox, so you should check that out

Edit: Front-end = GUI so its not all command-line driven

Thanks

Have have no idea what any of that means, unfortunately. Well, I'll use Lemmings 2: The Tribes as an example, since I didn't see that on the "oldwarez" list and thus I assume it's abandonware.

I download the game, and unzip it. I click on the icon located in the folder (amidsts a bunch of other stuff) but I get some sort of error message about invalid startup or something like that.

I'm assuming this is where I need to use DOSBox. But how exacally do I use it? I've tried reading some tutorials, but I don't understand them at all

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Have have no idea what any of that means, unfortunately. Well, I'll use Lemmings 2: The Tribes as an example, since I didn't see that on the "oldwarez" list and thus I assume it's abandonware.

I download the game, and unzip it. I click on the icon located in the folder (amidsts a bunch of other stuff) but I get some sort of error message about invalid startup or something like that.

I'm assuming this is where I need to use DOSBox. But how exacally do I use it? I've tried reading some tutorials, but I don't understand them at all
    Alright, I recommend installing the games to a folder in C:\ (or wherever your games are stored) with some sort of short name that fits the dos requirements (in my case, it's C:\Dosprog). Then just make sure the folder name for the game fits the dos naming setup.

Open dosbox.

Type mount C: C:*pathgoes here* (IE mount C: C:\dosprog)

Now type C:

It should change Z:\ to C:\

Now just type the file you want to run, or swap folders to wherever it is.

Dir lists all files in that folder\directory. CD *folder name here* changes the current folder to the one you type (CD lem will change the current directory to lem). And as with windows running the .exe will open the game (just type the file's name and it'll run it).

You can also modify dosbox.conf to do parts of this automatically.

Frontends are much easier however, and pretty much just put a windows like interface into dosbox as opposed to it's normal text based UI.
    Last edited by Raype; 13th-April-2007 at 19:32. Reason: disabled smlies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray. View Post
    Alright, I recommend installing the games to a folder in C:\ (or wherever your games are stored) with some sort of short name that fits the dos requirements (in my case, it's C:\Dosprog). Then just make sure the folder name for the game fits the dos naming setup.

Open dosbox.

Type mount C: C:*pathgoes here* (IE mount C: C:\dosprog)

Now type C:

It should change Z:\ to C:\

Now just type the file you want to run, or swap folders to wherever it is.

Dir lists all files in that folder\directory. CD *folder name here* changes the current folder to the one you type (CD lem will change the current directory to lem). And as with windows running the .exe will open the game (just type the file's name and it'll run it).

You can also modify dosbox.conf to do parts of this automatically.

Frontends are much easier however, and pretty much just put a windows like interface into dosbox as opposed to it's normal text based UI.
    Thank you very much. I've gotten it working. Now I assume I just do the same with every other game I want to play?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Thank you very much. I've gotten it working. Now I assume I just do the same with every other game I want to play?
    Basically, yes.