Page 6 of 258 FirstFirst 12345678910111656106 ... LastLast

Thread: General Gaming Discussion

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Though the company is still unsure when or even if the project will see mass market release, Project GB gives players the skills of game development -- programming, graphic design, music composition, and writing -- all through hands-on play, hoping, in the end to "nurture a true 'game brain,'" the project's namesake, specifically chosen to counteract media reports of a popular Japanese university professor's term for the damaging effects of games on the brain.

The short demo of Project GB, still very early in development, showed a fascinating set of tutorials allowing players to directly edit sprites, compose animations, and change gameplay parameters to test balance of a simple Space Invaders type game, and promised to allow players who wanted more depth access to both direct logic and framework, and even low level code.

Tsushima said that throughout serious game making, developers should never use the game simply to sugarcoat the learning process, that learning isn't something bitter players must swallow, but instead games should be directly and effectively communicating the fun of learning itself.

That's why serious game development is difficult, Otobe concluded. "Without understanding the fun of learning, you can't create a game, you can only sugarcoat. You have to access yourself the core-fun of what you're trying to educate, and communicate that through gaming."

That, Otobe said, is the most important message to be taken away from Square Enix's serious efforts, and something serious game developers should always be thinking about.
    Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=12989

Wow that's one "training" game that I'd support if it ever was to be released.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Commodore's back! :O
    Well, not really, it's gonna be a PC gaming line under the Commodore brand.

Commodore returns with new gaming PCs
    By James Orry - 06/03/2007 - 9:52am GMT
    Commodore Gaming has announced it will launch a new breed of gaming PCs that will see the return of the legendary Commodore brand.

Commodore is a name which will bring memories flooding back to many a gamer and it's been announced that the legendary brand is to return with a new range of high specification gaming PCs.

"25 years ago, Commodore launched the best selling personal computer of the late 20th Century, the C64, and defined the early computer games experience for millions of people worldwide," said Bala Keilman, CEO for Commodore Gaming. "We are privileged and excited to bring the Commodore brand back to the gaming community and mark a new chapter in its history with this exceptional machine. We're sure that it will deliver what gamers need and want."

The new Commodore PCs optimised for gaming will be launched at the CeBIT show in Germany on March 15 and attendees will be offered the chance to play the latest PC games using the purpose-built PCs.

Commodore Gaming is to make further announcements at the launch and promises that there are still some very exciting aspects of the product still to be revealed.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/06-03-2007-4930.html

Thanks
    EP Points

Commodore 64 backward compatibility confirmed? :O

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=12989

Wow that's one "training" game that I'd support if it ever was to be released.
    You need talent to make a game. Training helps (though learning to use actual game dev tools would be better), but talent is paramount.

Unfortunately, not everyone has talent. Look at a lot of the games out there...

Thanks
    EP Points

Just an hour or two ago Phil Harrison unveiled "Home". Download this trailer to get an pretty good idea what it's all about:
    http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_...gdc07_h264.wmv

More interesting however is Sony's new game LittleBigPlanet; a multiplayer platformer. It looks super awesome! :O
    http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_...gdc07_h264.wmv

And some LittleBigPlanet info:
    Another innovative example of the Game 3.0 vision is a brand-new community-based world called LittleBigPlanet. LittleBigPlanet starts with players learning about the powers of their chosen characters to interact physically with the environment. There are obstacles to explore, items to collect and puzzles to solve -- requiring community-based teamwork and brainpower. As players begin to explore, their creative skills grow and they will be ready to start creating and modifying their surroundings -- the first step to sharing them with the whole world. Ultimately, levels of the game will be user generated on a worldwide scale and will change everyday as players create, publish and share their own levels.

Users have the power to design, shape and build both objects and entire locations for others to play. Players can make their world as open or as secretive to explore as they like. When it's ready, they can invite anyone within the LittleBigPlanet universe to come and explore their "patch," or they can go and explore everybody else's.

-- Players craft their own individual experience. There's not just one way
    to play.
    -- Unlimited possibilities for user-created content -- players can
    customize everything: their characters, the landscape around them and
    their own "patch" on LittleBigPlanet.
    -- Players discover and win new skills and items to aid them on their
    creative journey.
    -- Online and offline multiplayer modes -- work as a team or get
    competitive.
    And lastly, Killzone was showed behind closed doors:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://ps3.ign.com/articles/770/770996p1.html
    As a "special thanks" for the media that attended his pre-GDC conference last night, Sony Computer Entertainment's President of Worldwide Studios, Phil Harrison unveiled the first in-game footage of Killzone ever seen. However, we did see it with a few caveats.

"Please remember that we're showing you this footage as an example of our technology," stated Harrison before running the b-roll. "Keep that in mind when looking at it and don't think of it as looking at the game directly."

The technology that Phil was referring to is "PlayStation Edge," a new advanced graphics tool that's meant to simplify PS3 development. The package comes complete with RSX performance analyzer and GCMReplay.

Following his brief statements, the footage played on multiple HD screens and showed off both ISA and Helghast soldiers blasting the bejesus of each other. The best way to describe how the aftermath looked is that it's "BLACK" for the next generation. There was a high level of destructibility as the bullets flew, and some seemingly-purposeful moments of slowdown (as in bullet-time, not a technical hitch).

As the footage came to a close, the word "E3" flashed on the screen followed by Harrison's confirmation that July is when we'd see the game next.
    No public Killzone trailer sucks. But LittleBigPlanet looks so fucking sweet that I couldn't care less about Killzone.
    Last edited by crusher; 7th-March-2007 at 21:30.

Thanks

I don't think ANYONE cares about Killzone. Big meh.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh you are so wrong... The first was pretty meh but Killzone Liberation was awesome!

Thanks

I do, actually.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok people, enough Killzone. WATCH THE BLOODY LITTLEBIGPLANET TRAILER!

Here you can download a HD version of the trailer (600MB). Or you can just download the one I posted above. GO!

Thanks

600MB? Better be good.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's awesome. Believe me! So hurry and download.

Thanks

Tsk, games..

Jonas! Has Koei announced any new Dynasty Games the last year or so? I don't pay attention to stuff.

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Thanks
    EP Points

The only one I know of is that PS3 Gundam game with Dynasty Warrior gameplay. Gundam Musou it's called I think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    The only one I know of is that PS3 Gundam game with Dynasty Warrior gameplay. Gundam Musou it's called I think.
    Oh? How extremely homosexual.

I bet Lu Bu is gonna be a hidden boss. I want it.

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nazis From Mars View Post
    Oh? How extremely homosexual.

I bet Lu Bu is gonna be a hidden boss. I want it.
    I bet you do.

I want LittleBigPlanet. ;(