Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Mac o.0

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Getting a Mac o.0

Oki my g/f wants a Mac; which if she knows how to use it I'm fine with the idea, but I want to know if uTorrent can run on a Mac? or if there is a torrent client for Mac that private trackers will accept/ report stats correctly all the time. I really don't see/hear much about Mac torrent clients.

I need some info please.

Mikey_ Guest

I know there's a version of Azureus for Mac, which I've used on my sister's G3 before. Umm, just curious. Why does she want a Mac? Unless she's into some sort of graphic/multi-media design, I don't see much of a reason why she'd need/want one.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Windows Visto View Post
    I know there's a version of Azureus for Mac, which I've used on my sister's G3 before. Umm, just curious. Why does she want a Mac? Unless she's into some sort of graphic/multi-media design, I don't see much of a reason why she'd need/want one.
    Her major I think will be CAD or video game design so yeah...

I think underground-gamer and Bitgamer both have azureus banned as well so I'm still up the creek without a paddle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ktiger41 View Post
    Her major I think will be CAD or video game design so yeah...

I think underground-gamer and Bitgamer both have azureus banned as well so I'm still up the creek without a paddle.
    no they don't, the older versions are banned... and yes azureus works fine on a mac, my best friend uses it on his mac.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia View Post
    no they don't, the older versions are banned... and yes azureus works fine on a mac, my best friend uses it on his mac.
    so where's the Mac dl link on their site for the Mac version?

Mikey_ Guest

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne.../Azureus.shtml

Thanks

its the same as the windows version

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia View Post
    its the same as the windows version
    Correction it is not. exe format wont run in mac otherwise i woulda got uTorrent.

Thanks

what i meant by that was when you go into the downloads section and download the jar file it will run on either windows or osx

or if you click all os's just download the dmg file, which essentially and installer for the jar file
    Last edited by polokitty; 15th-March-2007 at 20:23.

Thanks
    EP Points

oki new question about macs. Do they support USB devices such as an 160GB External Seagate Hard Drive. So I can torrent straight to my external or is there a way to cut and paste files to a drive like this on a mac.

I know before I only put my 1GB thumb drive in a mac at school and crash and froze it.

Mikey_ Guest

oki new question about macs. Do they support USB devices such as an 160GB External Seagate Hard Drive. So I can torrent straight to my external or is there a way to cut and paste files to a drive like this on a mac.

I know before I only put my 1GB thumb drive in a mac at school and crash and froze it.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as it works properly, and it there are no other OS's on it, and OSX is on the Mac. Any other OS version before it may be a bit wonky. I remember OS9 was a bit, wierd. Kind of like Windows ME. OS9 to OSX is like Windows ME to Windows XP. And there's also the fact that when I studied computer technical support, during our 3rd-4th semesters, we all got external HD's, which worked on all computers at school. Which ran Windowx XP Pro w/SP2, OSX, and Knoppix. The drives always worked and were detected just fine.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as it works properly, and it there are no other OS's on it, and OSX is on the Mac. Any other OS version before it may be a bit wonky. I remember OS9 was a bit, wierd. Kind of like Windows ME. OS9 to OSX is like Windows ME to Windows XP. And there's also the fact that when I studied computer technical support, during our 3rd-4th semesters, we all got external HD's, which worked on all computers at school. Which ran Windowx XP Pro w/SP2, OSX, and Knoppix. The drives always worked and were detected just fine.
    Thnx. I'll make sure she gets OSX.

Mikey_ Guest

Thnx. I'll make sure she gets OSX.
    Yeah, make sure she also installs the updates from Apples website. I remember when I first installed OSX on my sister's old G3, there were a few things I needed to do, but couldn't because I had to install like 1-2 updates. Make sure the CPU is decent, and there's at least 1 gig of ram.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Yeah, make sure she also installs the updates from Apples website. I remember when I first installed OSX on my sister's old G3, there were a few things I needed to do, but couldn't because I had to install like 1-2 updates. Make sure the CPU is decent, and there's at least 1 gig of ram.
    What constitutes a decent CPU on a mac?

(need to go to class now ill check thread when i get home)

Mikey_ Guest

What constitutes a decent CPU on a mac?

(need to go to class now ill check thread when i get home)
    Do you plan on going with her to an actual store, or ordering online? Either way, I suggest you talk to a professional about that. Especially one who's experienced with Macs. I'd say maybe, a 1.5-2.0Ghz CPU. That, coupled with about 1 gig of ram and she should be set for anything. Of course, the more gigs the better when it comes to ram on a Mac. But those are the basic specs of the Macs at school, and they all ran smoothly and quickly, with no crashes or slow downs.