Thread: Random...stuff?

Mikey_ Guest

Default Random...stuff?

Hey. Umm, I'm having some problems. It started ever since I installed Google Earth, which I just uninstalled. Randomly, my mouse and keyboard would sort of stop working. Like, I can move the cursor around, and I can successfully bring up the menu from the Start button using the Windows button, but that's as far as it goes. I can't left or right click, oh, and I can alt/ctrl/del, but again, I can't do anything else. To bring my PC out of that state, I've had to reboot. The thing is, it's happened quite a few times already, strangely enough, after Google Earth was on here. Another odd thing was, when I did go to force a reboot, normally I'd have to hold down the power button on the PC. These few times, I've only had to press on it, and not hold it down. Is that an odd thing?

I ran Ad-Aware, I'm now running Spybot, and after that, I'll be scanning for viruses. Does anyone know what could be going on?

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hey. Umm, I'm having some problems. It started ever since I installed Google Earth, which I just uninstalled. Randomly, my mouse and keyboard would sort of stop working. Like, I can move the cursor around, and I can successfully bring up the menu from the Start button using the Windows button, but that's as far as it goes. I can't left or right click, oh, and I can alt/ctrl/del, but again, I can't do anything else. To bring my PC out of that state, I've had to reboot. The thing is, it's happened quite a few times already, strangely enough, after Google Earth was on here. Another odd thing was, when I did go to force a reboot, normally I'd have to hold down the power button on the PC. These few times, I've only had to press on it, and not hold it down. Is that an odd thing?

I ran Ad-Aware, I'm now running Spybot, and after that, I'll be scanning for viruses. Does anyone know what could be going on?

You could have gotten a trojan from the installation. Where'd you download it from?

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by banned View Post
    You could have gotten a trojan from the installation. Where'd you download it from?
    Umm, I downloaded it from an incredibly shady website which included an incredibly shady looking file. Ad-Aware didn't show anything out of the ordinary, while Spybot showed some new stuff, which I 'fixed'. Now to check for viruses.

Thanks
    EP Points

Best to do that. You'll wanna get that virus off asap because it's obviously hacking the Explorer.

Mikey_ Guest

Possibly. Another strange thing I remember also, aside from the Google thing, was that whenever I'd press the Mute button on my keyboard, the whole process would happen again. Now, after cleaning some stuff up, I'm thinking of doing that again just to see if something else is up. But AVG is still scanning.

Edit: AVG found nothing. I pressed the Mute button and my mouse and keyboard went haywire again. Any help?
    Last edited by Mikey_; 23rd-January-2007 at 00:36.

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried unplugging your mouse and keyboard and plugging them back in (assuming they're USB)? Also, while the computer is off, unplug them both and switch the slots they're in with each other. This'll cause windows to re-recognize them as "new hardware". Maybe there's just a glitch in windows's handling of them.
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Mikey_ Guest

I did try disconnecting both of them while Windows ran, but got the same results: my finger + Mute button = mishap galore. Do you think maybe doing that while the PC is off would have any effect? My mouse is a Microsoft optical mouse, USB, while my keyboard is an emachines, and the connection is this...light purple colored thing that plugs right into the back of the PC. Right above the USB slot where the mouse is connected.

Thanks

PS/2 port?

Have you tried using a different mouse? Sounds pretty obvious, but you can discard an option doing this.

Thanks

install software that came with said mouse and keyboard?

update drivers?

something along those lines?

Mikey_ Guest

It can't be the mouse, because whenever I click on the Mute button on my keyboard, both devices stop working properly. It's like, by pressing that button, it performs some command to fuck with my mouse and keyboard. The keyboard didn't come with any software, it did come with the PC, though, which I also have four CD's of drivers for it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Are the button commands on the keyboard controlled by any software other than just the computer itself? Because my wireless keyboard (Logitech) needs a program running to use my shortcut keys.

Edit: Wait, you said you can click mute with your mouse and it will still screw up? Nevermind, then. I'm stumped.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Are the button commands on the keyboard controlled by any software other than just the computer itself? Because my wireless keyboard (Logitech) needs a program running to use my shortcut keys.

Edit: Wait, you said you can click mute with your mouse and it will still screw up? Nevermind, then. I'm stumped.
    Some equipment (like media keyboards and some mouses) need specific software to use their functions, yeah.