Page 144 of 204 FirstFirst ... 4494134139140141142143144145146147148149154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3048

Thread: Recently Watched Movies

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug

I waited until I got the blu to watch this one, after how the first one went.

Rating: CG orcs are lame + drags on x Peter Jackson is adding way too much crap to turn this into an LOTR prequel / it should have been two movies tops. It's not that these are too long (I can still watch the extend editions of LOTR and never get bored) it's that it feels sloggy.

The cartoon from the 70s is better.

Honestly, I wanted to love it, but I just liked it instead, kinda.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear

In all honesty, and this is going to sound weird, but the best parts of this film involved OJ Simpson. Because he has so little time in this and the first film, it seems as though whatever he does do shines brighter... and also because this film isn't as good as the first. It does a lot of the same stuff "plot wise", and thus is easy to compare. This film, like Airplane! II, would be better regarded if they weren't sequels, but becaus4e they are, they find themselves stacked against the originals and found to be lacking.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Face/Off

Rating: Ridiculous out of LOL

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cho Kamen Rider Den-O & Decade NEO Generations The Movie: The Onigashima Battleship

A movie with Decade in the title where he does basically nothing at all in the film other than to remind you that you're not watching something better. Decade shows up for about five minutes, fights the bad guys, then leaves without having done much of anything, which is better than Diend, who shows up for exactly one minute just to summon some Riders for the express purpose of being a massive jackass. No really, that was his whole purpose in the film; he didn't do it as a ruse to steal treasure, he just appeared to make things harder for the heroes for no reason and then left.

In true Japanese form, this movie is in love with folklore, the same old tired Oni are real and were once exterminated stuff that we've all seen about a billion times. It's also another go at the whole country folk and big city folk thing, because we'll never get tired of that little gem either. The only difference in all of this is that we didn't get what was explicitly a bow armed miko, just some girl in a skirt too short for the era with a bow who may or may not have been a character ancestor. And a gem of importance. Except this time around she didn't have it burned with her body and there's no time well. Just a time train. Because that's what Den-O is about, a time train. Sadly it's not the same thing Doc Brown made in Back to the Future Part III, it's just a standard bullet train that travels through time. Controlled by a motorcycle. So maybe not standard. And like everything time travel, things get stupid because NOBODY can do time travel right.

So the plot is that Oni were real, got shot full of arrows, humanity took over and will one day blow up the sun. Well, the sun bit isn't true... yet, but the oni bit was. Except there was an earthquake and this somehow tore open a time hole, because that's how that works, and now we have little brother Oni who looks like the most generic Oni ever trying to find the magic rock to bring out their trump card so they can not all die horribly. Meanwhile big brother Oni who has the longest hair outside of anime is just hanging out in a cave waiting for little brother. And this is basically the plot for the entire movie, all while the heroes job to the Oni because they're Oni and so are powerful. And can become Kamen Riders because why not.

So this stupid plot goes on for nearly an hour until finally the Oni get their trump card... a giant battleship that looks like it's a mix of 1940s big guns and 1800s steam ship. It also flies in the sky and can time travel because, you know, Oni are known to be masters of time manipulation. Then Decade and Diend show for their whole six minutes of whatever, one Oni is killed making the other go crazy because that's how all brother stuff goes in Japan... and then the next 20 minutes are mostly CG of, and this is amazing for how stupid it is, a massive time battleship fighting a time train. Complete with huge bombs riding the rails of the time train to blow it up. Then there's the big fight where the hero does alone in a minute what like half a dozen couldn't do together in about five, then the end.

All in all, another yawn inducing way too Japanese for its own good film. The whole ship vs. train bit was kind of neat, though way over the top, and cannot save the film at all. It's an hour and twenty minutes of my life I would like back... but sadly I don't have a time train to do so.

If only Doc Brown would return my calls...

Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker

Basically the point of this movie was to once again make sure we all know that Decade is the most super awesomest Rider ever. Except for W, who appears, kicks the crap out of the bad guy with ease, then leaves after two minutes. Then it's back to Decade being the most awesome.

Oh, and I guess to give more plot to a character who, as the series says, has no story of his own. Except this was a story about him. And his past.

Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010

Basically the Deacde part was to show us that yes, he's still awesome and that for some reason they couldn't finish a show on TV, so we get a useless movie where they still say Decade has no story, but everything says that yes, he does. Then there's stuff about W which I skipped, because I don't care about W right now; there's a DRAMATIC CONCLUSION to see! Which was basically Decade and W trying to one up another on who is the most awesome. Then it ends with giving room for even more films featuring this character with no story while giving no closure to the events of the first episode.

Because screw Natsumi's world which, when we last saw it all the way back at the very start of Decade was burning and coming to a horrible end.
    Last edited by Aeolus Aeneas; 15th-April-2014 at 17:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

Stakeland.

It's like a zombie apocalypse, but with vampires. It's a Vampire Apocalypse.

And it was pretty good, bordering on great. Maybe even making it into my top ten vampire movies. One of those low-ish budget gems that slip by.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thanks
    EP Points

Got some catching up to do, so here goes....

MASH (1970) **** - I've seen this movie before, but it's been on IFC the last few nights and actually watched this sucker twice in a row. This is a fantastic movie.... it's darkly funny with a bunch of great characters, not to mention it's leagues better than the damn TV show. I don't hate the TV show by any means, but this movie is so much more clever and entertaining than anything the series put together in the 10 years in ran for. Just my opinion, but this movie is part of the "golden age" of cinema, when directors and writers were trying something new and going against the grain.

Born on the 4th of July (1989) **** - One of the best Vietnam based movies outside of Platoon and Apocalypse Now. In fact, this is probably the best of the bunch since it deals with the aftermath of the war and the horrors of a scarred "hero" trying to reintegrate into society. It's depressing, and outside of Magnolia, it's Tom Cruise's best performance ever.

The Doors (1991) *** 1/2 - So I've been on a bit of an Oliver Stone kick lately, and this was another movie I needed to see. I'd seen this back when I was in 4H, and totally didn't get what most of the movie was trying to say. I liked the Doors music, and thought Jim Morrison was cool at the time just because that was the thing to do, but I never really understood the movie. Watching it now I'm absolutely floored by Val Kilmer's version of him.... It's Val's best role (outside of Willow of course LoL), and it's a shame he was snubbed an award. He does sing the songs in the movie, and he looks so much like Morrison it's absolutely scary. Anyway, the movie is a total trip and takes a few viewings to really "get", but if you're willing it's totally worth the time. Not to mention it's wall to wall with Doors music, which if you like you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thomas Crown Affair (1999) ** 1/2 - This is one of those slick caper movies that is a total product of its time in cinema. It's totally dated, and the real draw is a lame sex scene with Brosnan and Rene Russo (whom everyone wanted to see naked back in this time period), but yet it does hold the attention span. The build-up is pretty good, and the end result is actually pretty clever, so I'll give it that. If you can't see this for free on cable or other means, I wouldn't go out of your way to see it.

The Player (1992) **** - This is a fantastic movie - it's a total parody of Hollywood in the 90's, and how they went from "personal" movies to making the mainstream big budget bullshit that we have today that appeases all audiences and collects money. In fact, if you watch the behind the scenes stuff on this movie the director Robert Altman (MASH, Short Cuts, etc) talks about how he was ousted from Hollywood in the late 70's because of his style of movies - even though they were all box office hits - so he layed low for well over a decade and came back with this movie, which parodied Hollywood, and then a year later with Short Cuts.

Short Cuts (1993) **** - I'm not going to really say anything about this since the previous paragraph is a good segue into this. It's just a good movie about a myriad of people who's lives intertwine.

The 400 Blows (1959) **** - I'd been hearing about this movie since I had discovered the Criterion company. If you don't know Criterion, then don't bother, but I finally got around to seeing this movie. It's amazing something this intelligent was made in the late 50's. If you don't mind black and white cinema then you need to watch this. It was just released on BluRay with a buttload of extra content.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Not a bad movie but way too conventional and kinda long. I love the character but I can't say I'm a big fan of this new reboot... Spidey is a Marvel character but this sure is no Marvel movie.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah. If no one sees the movies and they tank maybe Marvel will get Spider-Man back. I heard Sony isn't going to enter negotiations until after Amazing Spider-Man 4 in 2018.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh god they're planning two more?

Wasn't a fan of the first at all. Buuuut I'm sure I'll still watch the second at some point..

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Oh god they're planning two more?

Wasn't a fan of the first at all. Buuuut I'm sure I'll still watch the second at some point..
    I didn't mind the first Amazing Spiderman, in fact it was a lot better than I thought it would be, but I still feel it's a little too soon for a reboot on this franchise. I'm not interested in the second, or third or fourth for that matter, but I'll watch them when they all hit the dollar bin at the local video store

Is anyone else burned out of from all these damn comic book movies or is it just me and RealSpiders? I'd like Hollywood to get back to making some some new stuff and not shit we need trilogies, or six-ologies, or fucking 9-oligies of. Just give me a good movie that doesn't have hooks for sequel bait, please.

I know that's a lot to ask, but I think it's fair.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    I didn't mind the first Amazing Spiderman, in fact it was a lot better than I thought it would be, but I still feel it's a little too soon for a reboot on this franchise. I'm not interested in the second, or third or fourth for that matter, but I'll watch them when they all hit the dollar bin at the local video store

Is anyone else burned out of from all these damn comic book movies or is it just me and RealSpiders? I'd like Hollywood to get back to making some some new stuff and not shit we need trilogies, or six-ologies, or fucking 9-oligies of. Just give me a good movie that doesn't have hooks for sequel bait, please.

Well hopefully Guardians will introduce something fresh but I hear what you're saying and agree to a point. The whole Avengers franchise keeps getting better with maybe the exception of Ironman 3. The new X-Men looks like it will tie the prequel/spinoff shit together which should be a dose of fresh air for us continuity freaks

Batman has done well even though I'm biased against them vs Marvel. But money doesn't lie and they earned a fuck load. The second one of the modern movies was excellent.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore and am drunk as fuck so I'll edit this tomorrow.

Until a Swampthing reboot....make mine Marvel!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post

Not at all. Ideally, any good comic books reader would want as many good movies based on their favourite characters as possible. Hence how I said good movies, which fortunately it's what we are getting. Marvel Studios did a great job setting the new quality standard and the rest of the producers involved know people won't get tickets for sub-par/questionable products like some of the ones we had in the past decade.
    Plus, it's not that the superhero movies are being an obstacle for the movie companies to launch other kind of films. Hollywood industry is way too big to think that just because Marvel Studios, which didn't even exists some years ago, Columbia, Fox and Legendary are making some super hero movies, there will be no room for other projects to be approved.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 2

Not a bad movie but way too conventional and kinda long. I love the character but I can't say I'm a big fan of this new reboot... Spidey is a Marvel character but this sure is no Marvel movie.
    I skipped the first one and honestly after reading this and strongly considering the source I have no interest in the second either.

Recently went through the Robocop trilogy. Don't get all the hate the third one receives.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Not at all. Ideally, any good comic books reader would want as many good movies based on their favourite characters as possible. Hence how I said good movies, which fortunately it's what we are getting. Marvel Studios did a great job setting the new quality standard and the rest of the producers involved know people won't get tickets for sub-par/questionable products like some of the ones we had in the past decade.
    Plus, it's not that the superhero movies are being an obstacle for the movie companies to launch other kind of films. Hollywood industry is way too big to think that just because Marvel Studios, which didn't even exists some years ago, Columbia, Fox and Legendary are making some super hero movies, there will be no room for other projects to be approved.
    You're right, there's plenty of room out there, it just seems like there's another comic movie or comic sequel coming out every 4 to 6 months and I kind of feel like these types of movies are being used to the fit the bill of sci-fi/fantasy/adventure which is why we don't see more stand alone/new projects.
    Just to clarify, I have nothing against comic movies since we are at the point where they are well made and can give fans what they want, I'd just like to see a little more variety
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I skipped the first one and honestly after reading this and strongly considering the source I have no interest in the second either.

Recently went through the Robocop trilogy. Don't get all the hate the third one receives.
    I think mainly because Peter Weller isn't in it, and the whole lame jetpack sequence. Oh, and PG13 probably didn't help either. I don't think it's a very good movie, but it is a lot better than that Prime Directives TV movie

Now that's a butchering of Robocop!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I mean, it's not as good as the first two. Said jetpack sequence is total rofl. But just as a movie I think it's fine. More or less average but needed to round out the plot with OCP.

The gore not being there didn't make a difference to me.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 25th-April-2014 at 23:36.