Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite guitarists?

Thanks

Default Favorite guitarists?

What are your favorite guitarists? And why? Be specific. I have several:

Marty Friedman(Megadeth) - Cuz his soloing is so very controlled, and much nicer sounding than Chris Poland's IMO. Owns most 80's thrash lead players.

Joe Satriani - Well, it's Satriani, c'mon now. Very creative and makes plays atmospheric leads, not just shredding.

Erik Rutan(Hate Eternal) - Yep, his phyrgian and egyptian scale based leads kick ass..

Karl Sanders(of Nile) - More phygian and egyptian scale soloing technique, but way more focused than Rutan, plus... it's Nile god damn it.

Van Halen - Made string tapping popular... and creates some of the most surreal sounds on a guitar.

Trey Azagthoth(Morbid Angel) - Highly influenced by Van Halen, he seems to become possessed when he plays a solo. He has improved a lot since his early days but the abstract/impressionistic vibe is still there. And he is an extremely talented songwriter.

Quorthon(Bathory) - Not a really impressive guitarist, but a genius musician and songwriter all around.

Dimebag Darell - The only thing I really like about Pantera. Made really cool melodic sounds with the use of a whammy bar which not a lot of players do, and his solos are groovy.

Vogg(of Decapitated): Probably my favorite of the moment. Extremely skillful and technical melodic solos that do nothing but compliment his already astonishing songwriting capability. A shame he's not doing as good as he can in the newer material of the band.

I also like Yngwie Malmsteen's playing, but I don't like his songs that much.
    Last edited by Soeru; 19th-November-2005 at 20:37.

Thanks

Chris Hannah (Propagandhi) - He's a crazy guitarplayer and he is so tight on the rythm. A very original punk guitar player

And me of course... Im just that good
    _______________________________ ____________________

Thanks
    EP Points

Paul Landers & Richard Z. Kruspe-Bernstein of Rammstein - Ok, so maybe I'm a bit biased, as they're my favorite band. Still, listen to some of the amazing work they've done on Rammstein's last two albums and you'll see why they're so great.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey, now this is my kind of thread. I'll edit this post with my reasons later.

Jeff Buckley
    Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
    Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
    Dick Dale
    Dimebag Darrell
    Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie)
    James Hetfield (Metallica)
    John Hudson (Faith No More)
    Jim Martin (Faith No More)
    Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
    Joe Satriani
    Kim Thayl (Soundgarden)
    Last edited by Cosmic; 19th-November-2005 at 21:33.

Thanks

Lets' see..

Quorthon (Bathory) - for the reason Soeru mentioned. His skills are humble, but he made up for all that with what he wrote.

Kai Hansen (ex-Helloween, Gamma Ray) - fun, fun, fun! That's Kai Hansen. He wrote some of the catchiest songs I heard, and his speed leads are impressive.

Janick Gers (Iron Maiden) - my favourite of the Maiden trio.

Zack Wylde (Black Label Society) - an excellent guitarist. He scales like a mad man, and his leads aren't that bad. He can write a wide assortment of riff in many styles.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater) - at least when he's not wanking, he plays excellent leads and solos, as rare as that is.

Thanks

John Frusciante - amazing acoustic work. extremely intricate fingerstyle.
    Kurt Cobain - Amazing power chord work. made guitar popular again to kids.
    Eric Clapton - great bends and hammer on/off stuff.
    Dimebag - whammy bar work made ME wanna play.

Thanks

Paul Allender - Because his speed just blows my mind.

Too bad his singer is a homo.

Thanks

John Petrucci for his songwriting, most guys with that ability just wank till they cum on the ceiling.

John Frusciante for being kickass at so many styles and working so well with Flea.

That'll do, they're my favourites...

Thanks
    EP Points

Excellent. I might put some reasons in later too.

Steve Vai
    Van Halen
    Jimi Hendrix
    Angus Young
    Steve Morse
    Joe Satriani
    Ry Cooder
    Dimebag Darrel
    lindsay buckingham
    David Gilmour
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi
    Paul Allender - Because his speed just blows my mind.

Too bad his singer is a homo.
    So what if he's homo? Rob Halford is gay. Manowar's Joey De Maio is also gay. How does sexual preferance detract from the quality of music?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    John Petrucci for his songwriting, most guys with that ability just wank till they cum on the ceiling.
    I literally laughed my ass off upon reading this. Yeah I forgot about Petrucci, I'm just not a fan of DT though, at least not yet. I have one of his instructional videos and holy crap, he is the shit.

I'm glad at least one person mentioned Vai. No one here likes Satriani? "Crystal Planet" is a wonderful piece of atmospheric guitar work.

And why exactly is Cobain so great(in terms of playing, not songwriting)? He's confessed several times that he's pretty shitty. "Amazing powerchord work"... wow, if you saw me play you would worship me to no end.

Clapton is pretty cool, especially for a guitarist that dates back so long, I was surprised to know how old his material was when I first listened to it. My sister wants me to learn one of his songs, I forgot the title though.

Nastercoff... what is Propagandhi like?

I can't believe I failed to mention Kai Hansen, I think he's my favorite 80's metal guitarist, I like his solos more than most Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and other big band solos. Oh yeah, Thin Lizzy's and King Diamond's solos are the shit too, I just don't know those guitarists' names.

Oh yeah... motherfuckin' CHUCK SCHULDINER of Death is the shit. He's making me like "progressive" metal bit by bit. I think he's the most flexible, rounded and articulate guitar player in all death metal.
    Last edited by Soeru; 20th-November-2005 at 00:09.

Thanks

o...and CC Deville! rofl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    So what if he's homo? Rob Halford is gay. Manowar's Joey De Maio is also gay. How does sexual preferance detract from the quality of music?
    WTF. Since when is Joey DeMaio gay??!?!?

Anyway my top guitarists list:
    Tom Warrior (Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, and the shitty Apollyon Sun)
    Mike Sifringer (Destruction)
    Orlok (Countess)
    Peter Kubik (Abigor)
    Mark Shelton (Manilla Road)
    Wagner "Antichrist" Lamounier (Sarcofago)
    ...etc

Sure most of these guys are nowhere near technical but their songwriting skills, creativity, and how they unique they are is what I love about 'em...
    Vae Victus!

Sacrifices have been made, thunder and lightning appear
    Rejoice in hideous blasphemy, know that the time is near
    The chosen hail their master well, lusting for hate and scorn
    Crying out in evil ecstacy, the antichrist is born

LOL OMG I'M ON MYSPACE I'M A SELLOUT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tancred
    WTF. Since when is Joey DeMaio gay??!?!?

Anyway my top guitarists list:
    Tom Warrior (Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, and the shitty Apollyon Sun)
    Mike Sifringer (Destruction)
    Orlok (Countess)
    Peter Kubik (Abigor)
    Mark Shelton (Manilla Road)
    Wagner "Antichrist" Lamounier (Sarcofago)
    ...etc

Sure most of these guys are nowhere near technical but their songwriting skills, creativity, and how they unique they are is what I love about 'em...
    I've never read anything about him professing himself as homosexual, but I've heard tons of people mention that he is gay. As well as the rest of the band, but I think they're just making that assumption because they all wear tight leather and shit on stage. But hey. It's metal with balls of steel and a metallic sexual confidence. Who gives a fuck.

For a first post, your avatar and musical interests have already earned you my respect. Brooklyn... like, if you play any instrument I'd totally be up for a jam, I can't find people up for forming a metal band anywhere.

Sarcofago... that's a Brazilian band right? How are they? Anything like Krisiun or Sepultura?

Thanks

Haha. That make-up in my avatar I wore for like 3 days only unfortunately. The new principal of my school threatened to suspend me. Like wtf. She said it frightened people and made them feel uncomfortable in this learning environment. That's bullshit right there because thats back when I used to cut and was only in school for the first 2 classes. The only people I could frighten are seniors like me. And you gotta be a pussy to be frightened from that.

Yea dude I play guitar. I've been playing for around a year and a half. I dont know anything about scales nor do I care. I don't solo either really unless its something like going apeshit on the fretboard Tom Warrior style. I do make and record my own black metal music but I haven't done anything new lately because I've been just too damn lazy. I really should because the stuff I have recorded right now is pretty mediocre compared to what I could do now.

As for Sarcofago... they were an old school black/thrash band from Brazil. Wagner "Antichrist" Lamounier actually WAS in Sepultura as the vocalist and guitarist until he had a fight with the band and was kicked out. When he got kicked out he formed Sarcofago and them and Sepultura have fighting for the next couple of years. Basically Max was spreading bullshit rumors about Sarcofago and blah blah blah. Bunch of immature crap really. Sepultura actually stole Sarcofago material as well. If you ever heard the song Antichrist its obviously written by Wagner "Antichrist" Lamounier.

Not really like Krisiun which is good because I find them extremelly boring. They're fast and br00tal but that's about it. Sepultura... their first 2 albums sound like Sarcofago...
    Vae Victus!

Sacrifices have been made, thunder and lightning appear
    Rejoice in hideous blasphemy, know that the time is near
    The chosen hail their master well, lusting for hate and scorn
    Crying out in evil ecstacy, the antichrist is born

LOL OMG I'M ON MYSPACE I'M A SELLOUT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru

I literally laughed my ass off upon reading this. Yeah I forgot about Petrucci, I'm just not a fan of DT though, at least not yet. I have one of his instructional videos and holy crap, he is the shit.

I'm glad at least one person mentioned Vai. No one here likes Satriani? "Crystal Planet" is a wonderful piece of atmospheric guitar work.

And why exactly is Cobain so great(in terms of playing, not songwriting)? He's confessed several times that he's pretty shitty. "Amazing powerchord work"... wow, if you saw me play you would worship me to no end.

Clapton is pretty cool, especially for a guitarist that dates back so long, I was surprised to know how old his material was when I first listened to it. My sister wants me to learn one of his songs, I forgot the title though.

Nastercoff... what is Propagandhi like?

I can't believe I failed to mention Kai Hansen, I think he's my favorite 80's metal guitarist, I like his solos more than most Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and other big band solos. Oh yeah, Thin Lizzy's and King Diamond's solos are the shit too, I just don't know those guitarists' names.

Oh yeah... motherfuckin' CHUCK SCHULDINER of Death is the shit. He's making me like "progressive" metal bit by bit. I think he's the most flexible, rounded and articulate guitar player in all death metal.

No, Dani Filth is a homo in every way shape and form.