Thread: Dragon Quest VIII

Thanks

Default Dragon Quest VIII

just bought this game today.

Incredible, raises the bar on all other RPGs forever. Very cute humor, good voice acting (a bit corny sometimes, they are British), graphics are totally lifelife, cel shading is very nice. Music is perfect, character animation is fluid & real, enemies are challenging but defeatable. Boss battles are very drammatic, with use of more special effects than your average Hollywood movie.

All in all, I give this game a 9.5/10.
    Magna Carta is so new & fresh, I gave it a 9.9/10. Softmax should be commended for making it; if u are jaded against most Japanese RPGs, check this one out. The Korean art is a fusion of Japanese, technology & the mystic. Reminds me of Baten Kaitos to some extent.

Excellent work Square-Enix!! Worth every penny; if you Buy It Direct from S-E the entire sale goes to them.
    Last edited by X-EvansBasher-X; 19th-November-2005 at 19:17.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hardc0regamer
    just bought this game today.

Incredible, raises the bar on all other RPGs forever. Very cute humor, good voice acting (a bit corny sometimes, they are British), graphics are totally lifelife, cel shading is very nice. Music is perfect, character animation is fluid & real, enemies are challenging but defeatable. Boss battles are very drammatic, with use of more special effects than your average Hollywood movie.

All in all, I give this game a 9.5/10.
    Magna Carta is so new & fresh, I gave it a 9.9/10. Softmax should be commended for making it; if u are jaded against most Japanese RPGs, check this one out. The Korean art is a fusion of Japanese, technology & the mystic. Reminds me of Baten Kaitos to some extent.

Excellent work Square-Enix!! Worth every penny; if you Buy It Direct from S-E the entire sale goes to them.
    I am going to have to disagree with you on both games as to me they are dull as mud. Though the Magna Carta battle system is pretty spaff otherwise just dull and dreary. God damn where is the innovation in the normal travel from point A to B in an RPG. I used to be a huge RPG fan but now the effect is wearing thin and most rpgs just feel the same.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've liked it so far, but that could just be because I've been away from traditional console gaming for such a long time. For like, a year or two now I've been glued to my PC. =/

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Verranicus
    I've liked it so far, but that could just be because I've been away from traditional console gaming for such a long time. For like, a year or two now I've been glued to my PC. =/
    That how i feel. Im loving DQ8, but i dont know if thats because its been sooo long since ive sat down to play a classic RPG

Thanks

damnit,you guys are confusing me lol
    i keep hearing good and bad reviews to it,i dunno wtf to do!

The only thing that will redeem mankind,Is cooperation.

Thanks

It is an EXCELLENT rpg, if u enjoyed any of the NES or Famicom Dragon Quests (1-4) or the two on SNES/Super Famicom (5-6) or even the Playstation version (VII), then you will enjoy #8.

If in doubt...rent it or find it elsewhere.

The game brings back the feeling of the old school console, mixed with the sharpest graphics & voice acting. If u can stand British voice actors (I have an acknowledged fetish for women w/foreign accents...sorry), then u will atleast like this game.

It's worth that rental. Or $50. Remember if you buy it direct from Square-Enix, all the money goes to them. Not 50/50 like buying retail.

Have a good play at it (oH nos i'm turning British)

Thanks

Here's how I see it: if you didn't like any one thing from the previous games, be ready to find it in this game. If there was any reason why you didn't like any of the previous games, know that you will have that same reason to not like this game.

Prove me wrong.

Thanks
    EP Points

Id hope that 50% doesnt go towards square, since i dont know how much of it they developed. Level 5 developed most of it, didnt they? And i didnt think level 5 was bought out by square, but i could be wrong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borman
    Id hope that 50% doesnt go towards square, since i dont know how much of it they developed. Level 5 developed most of it, didnt they? And i didnt think level 5 was bought out by square, but i could be wrong
    Level 5 was the developer, so most of the dough should go to them. SquEnix was only the content owner and publisher. But who knows how the game industry decides on who gets the moola.

Thanks

Default sheesh........

Come on guys, stop nitpicking apart what I said. @#$%^&*
    What I meant was, the RETAILER (Best Buy, GameStop, EB Games, etc.) gets about 50% of the take from the sale. The PUBLISHER (in this case, Square-Enix is the publisher, as well as part of development) gets the other half. The publisher splits their take up with the dev companies resonsible for the game. All of this is based on pre-determined contracts, of which S-E likely forecast sales into the upper thousands to maybe a hundred thousand.

I personally sent an email to Square-Enix through their webstore, shopCDSbooks.com, and they replied with the following:

Hi ******,
    Thank you very much for taking interest in Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. I am more then happy to answer your question.

Since you mentioned that you have a friend whom worked for a retailer you may already know how we share the pie with the retailer, developer, first party, and publisher. Within the group, the publisher may receive the biggest share. However, the publisher must localize, promote, and take on the risk of marking the game down. Therefore, the publisher has not only the chance to make a good profit, but also the risk to lose a lot of money.

In regards to the online shop, the situation is not similar to the above. The Square Enix website is our official website. The proceeds go to SE
    100%.

C Goodwin
    Customer Service
    Square Enix/CDS
    1094 Flex Drive
    Jackson, TN 38301
    800-343-4499 ext 217
    Fax: 800-351-5073
    You can purchase Dragon Quest VIII direct & it will mean more than buying it from a retailer. Just my .02

Off topic:
    So....if u have ever worked in retail, you realize that markup on most products you buy is 100% (double) or more from the actual price the manufacturer sells it to the retailer. When an item is sold at a loss, it means it's being sold less than the typical profit margin. Best Buy refers to these items as "loss leaders". Retailers hate this; they will cut contracts w/companies that supply them w/products that do not sell or become recall items. Sony took major heat from the major retailers after their Playstation 2 power supply flaw. Think about this the next time you purchase something.

Also, Sony is in the s**ter with the U.S. govt over their XCP rootkit on music CD's. The jackals are out, and this could end up costing them hundreds of millions. A close friend of mine works at Circuit City, and he said that about every CD by the artists on this list have been pulled nationwide. That's thousands of CDs...all going back to Sony to be incinerated. D*mn they sure got screwed on their little DRM trick, didn't they?
    Off topic mode OFF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hardc0regamer
    Off topic:
    So....if u have ever worked in retail, you realize that markup on most products you buy is 100% (double) or more from the actual price the manufacturer sells it to the retailer. When an item is sold at a loss, it means it's being sold less than the typical profit margin. Best Buy refers to these items as "loss leaders". Retailers hate this; they will cut contracts w/companies that supply them w/products that do not sell or become recall items. Sony took major heat from the major retailers after their Playstation 2 power supply flaw. Think about this the next time you purchase something.

Also, Sony is in the s**ter with the U.S. govt over their XCP rootkit on music CD's. The jackals are out, and this could end up costing them hundreds of millions. A close friend of mine works at Circuit City, and he said that about every CD by the artists on this list have been pulled nationwide. That's thousands of CDs...all going back to Sony to be incinerated. D*mn they sure got screwed on their little DRM trick, didn't they?
    Off topic mode OFF
    HAHAHAHAHA! Fuck Sony for not trying to be innovative. And screw MS for this crappy second license they want me to buy!

Thanks

I really like the game so far. I'm just past the story of Marcello and Angelo. Its funny how japanese developers contradict each other. Enix says you have to praise God with Dragon Quest, while Atlus says fuck God in Shin Megami Tensei. Isn't that funny?

Thanks
    EP Points

jessica is teh hawtness

Thanks

Boobs...

Thanks

Wonderbra