Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Religion: The new beta-max

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by malice2501
    I dont need religion. I dont follow any religion to the letter and i just believe one more than the other.

I believe islam more because christianity doesnt have room in it for such things as ignorance and other extenuating circumastances (plz excuse my spelling, im fubar today).

Maybe the term "prefer" wasnt one that i should have used.
    If there isn't a need, then why would you abide by the teachings?

Why would you follow a religion when you just have to have faith in God? If you want His word, why don't you look for one that is written by His hand? Sure, you'll tell me that that is a test of faith, but I don't care much for someone testing me, when he should be the one being tested.

So, you choose Islam instead of Christianity simply because you think Islam represents best the ideas of God? Are you not misleading yourself into not seeing that you are choosing a religion because you think that it fits your ideas better, hence making it a fulfilled need?

Quote Originally Posted by malice
    And if you read any of the books, it tells you/me what he intended. :\
    No, it tells you that someone interpreted His word and put it in a book. Then again, for that to be, you have to acknowledge the existence of God and His interaction with humans. Which, since it can't be proven, I don't agree with.

Even if i havent read the books and just have some sort of self made vague concept of god, i can still go by my feelings and come up with what i think his intentions are.

All of these things are objective to everyone, so who are you to say that i need to loosen up the towel?
    I thought that His intentions were just not intelligible to us, mere humans... Guess he isn't all that almighty.

You should loosen up the towel because it renders you susceptible to even the slightest of general comments.

Just had a thought, i dont know what your stance is. What is your religion/belief system?
    Prove it and I'll believe. Same goes for anything else, BTW. Prove to me that thermodynamics are working outside of theorical data put on paper, and I'll believe it. Sure, if you take the example of atoms, we can see the effects and interactions with other matter, but we didn't actually see them. Those I believe still. Then again, you can say the same for God, you see His effect, but not actually Him. Yeah, my belief system is that selective. Maybe because I don't need a God? Maybe because I believe in the People? Probably because people can affect me in ways that I can be aware of, I dunno.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evans
    Yeah, my belief system is that selective. Maybe because I don't need a God? Maybe because I believe in the People? Probably because people can affect me in ways that I can be aware of, I dunno.
    lol, touche

Thanks

i think that religion, in all its forms, is at once the most constructive and destructive force that man has ever created. most civilized societies formed and developed largely because of the organizing force of religions (good thing), and most wars, especially before the industrial revolution, were fought because of differences in ideologies that originated from different religions (very bad thing).

Thanks

Often times it seems that religion brings people together only to further separate them (in other words religion vs. religion or someone else). It always seems that whenever religion is used to bring together a new enemy is made, the jew (pardon if i offend anyone) down the street or an even better example, the crusades.

Aside from this, religion is in essence "faith". Faith in the "idea" that God exists and the bible was not just another fiction story. For all we know, the bible could have started out as a "warning" of what kind of chaos and suffering would ensue with a monotheistic religion. It could have even been a mediocre fiction story that become popular. It's hard to have faith when there is no proof or evidence that supports it.

Furthermore, religion in a way has become corrupt, going against its own teachings as well as other obvious things. Lets take Christianity, thou shall not worship material things (in order to worship God). A couple thousand years later what is going on, the cross is found everywhere where someone worships, church and even at homes. Even the bible in its own way is worshipped. Catholicism, everyone knows about "that problem", although not a large majority of priests participated in it, it does raise concern about religion. If priests who should believe in God the most are obviously disobeying His basic laws* of conduct, do their acts because of desiring eternal punishment? These may be just the actions of a few, but, it may also demonstrate a shift in the faith of priests in general. Without any support and with questionable practices it is no wonder that religion is losing its flare.

*note 10th commandment paraphased: thou shall not desire any of thy neighbor's property (at this time children probly were considered property)

Thanks

Religions have always just been a way to make some cash. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks
    EP Points

My beef? Lies.
    Ohshi~ did i just grey out every religion?

Thanks

These religion threads make me laugh.

Or rather they dont, as I never bother to read them.

Just thought I'd add that, for no other reason than simply because I 'could'.

Chortle.
    Touch my twat.

Thanks

Well, That whole 'Religions only exist to make money' thing is kinda dubious. That's just your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But it's not an absolute.
    Except Scientology. As far as I can work out, that was just about money. L. Ron Hubbard apparently practically admitted this on a number of occaisions.

Believing in the indoctrinated values inherent in any religious belief are the same as believing in the indoctrinated values inherent in mathematics, the supposed foundation of everything. It requires the belief in the fact that things are quantifiable. That one really does equal one. Most people do believe this. Why? Because they're taught that it does. It requires basically the same leap of faith any religion does, and its' effects are infinitely broader-reaching than any religion.

So, are the fundamental laws of mathematics beyond debate and analysis, whereas the fundamental laws of any religion are immediately set upon and rent apart?
    When the sunshine,
    throwing me a lifeline,
    finds its way into my room,
    All I need is you.

Elbow, Ribcage.

Loving the choir.