Thread: How To Guide: Convert DVDs (NTSC > PAL or PAL > NTSC)

Thanks

Default How To Guide: Convert DVDs (NTSC > PAL or PAL > NTSC)

Not sure if this has been posted, so mods decide if this is good.

OK, I have a few PAL DVDs that I wanted to play on the Zenith DVB312. Would not work (duh!) so I found this post and was able to get it to work. I'd including the main post below. Go to the link if you need more information.

credited to DJRumpy of videolan:

This Guide gives a quick overview of the 'Patch' method, used to make a PAL disc appear as if it was NTSC or an NTSC disk appear as PAL. This method requires no re-encoding, and takes only a few seconds.

NOTE: This method may not be supported by your player.
    ( Your mileage may vary )
    If this method does not work in your player, then it simply means "It does not work in your player". Please don't PM me asking for a fix. I didn't invent this method, and I claim no responsiblity if it does't work

That said....On to the guide.

Tools required:
    IFO Edit

Assumptions:
    This method requires that you have all of the necessary IFO, BUP, and VOB files stored on your PC. Although you can create new IFO files with IFOEdit, this guide is not intended to cover that option. It assumes you have a working DVD image stored on your PC.

You can find IFOEdit in the Tools section. (see link above)

Launch IFOEdit, and select the OPEN button located in the lower left hand corner of the GUI
    When prompted, browse to our stored DVD image (usually located in the VIDEO_TS folder), and select the primary IFO file (this file will always be called VIDEO_TS.IFO )

Once you open the main IFO file, you'll see a large amount of information displayed.
    Ensure the IFO is selected in the upper pane. It should be the first item listed in that pane:

If it is selected in the upper pane, the lower pane of the IFOEdit window, in the DESCRIPTION column, will display information specific to what is select in the upper pane.
    (IMPORTANT: You will not need to select anything other than the first entry in the TOP pane. Further along in this guide, you will be instructed to scan for all entries in the IFO. This applies only the the LOWER pane, not the UPPER pane. It is not necessary to scan through any other items in the Upper Pane).
    Scroll through the list, and look for any reference to an aspect ratio (16:9, or 4:3)
    (see circled in red below)

Double click that description text. This should open up a properties dialogbox, which allows you to specify settings for that individual IFO element.

Note the items circled in red above. To 'patch' a DVD so it appears to be an NTSC or PAL disc, you
    change the following:
    Standard: NTSC or PAL (select either depending on which you want to convert to)
    Resolution: Set this to the closest compatible format (i.e. 720x480 for a 720x576 PAL->NTSC disc or 720x576 for an NTSC->PAL disc for example)
    Static: Set this to Automatic Letterboxed
    Click OK
    (Note: The information displayed in the Description column will NOT update until you re-open the IFO)
    Repeat this process, scanning through the entire lower pane for ALL references to an aspect ratio.
    When you are sure you have modified all lines containing a reference to an aspect ratio, click the REGION FREE button to remove any region restrictions (if any)
    Finally, click the SAVE button. You should be prompted to also save the BUP file as well. Answer YES.

Next, click the OPEN button again, and browse back to your DVD file folder. If the folder contains any other IFO files (exluding the one you have already opened), repeat this entire process for each IFO you find there. You should find at least 1 more IFO file at a minimum. Depending on your DVD, you could have several.

Once you have modified all IFO files, you may find it usefull to close IFOEdit, and relaunch it. Open each IFO to verify that all references have been updated.

Burn as usual.
    Last edited by X-EvansBasher-X; 13th-November-2005 at 19:42.

Thanks

wow... thanks been tryin to figure that out for awhile.........