Thread: Advice on MB/CPU Upgrades

Thanks

Default Advice on MB/CPU Upgrades

OK, heres a three part question

1) I'm thinking about upgrading my mother board and processor. Im using a AMD Sempron2800 running at 2Ghz with a 167Mhz FSB, L1 128, L2 256. My MB is a KM4M-V with the usual crap. Now, the question is if i upgrade this to a AMD64 processor with a compatable MB, will i see a real difference seeing as not a lot of programs are not 64 bit yet? I was thinking that it may still make the number crunching go faster, but im no expert.

2) My next question is: is DDR 2700 standard compatable with other standards?

3) How much of a pain in the ass will it be to do the transfer? I dont know if i will have to buy a new case, and im hoping not, how should i go about testing this out?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by malice2501; 24th-October-2005 at 07:58.

Thanks

2) for any memory, when you put it with another memory speed, even when compatible, it will go at the speed of the lowest one
    so it might be better for performance to buy new memory

3) well before anything you should check the dimensions of your MB (check the maker's website or something) and the dimensions of the one you want to get
    otherwise i don't think you will have to get a new case

but you might need a new power supply if you plan on guetting newer graphic cards and such.. because newer need more power than before... also the processor might need more power... so you should check for that

i have checked your motherboard... but i couldn't find the KM4M-4 only the KM4M-V
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...class=mb&cpu=2
    Dimentions :9.65 in. (L) x 7.56 in. (W) MicroATX Form Factor

i don't know really how much space and if the 64bit board would fit.. so you might check that...

note: i'm no pro... so it's the way that i would use... and maybe not the way it should be done... please excuse any error or correct me in any stage that i wrote...

for the transfer... you have to unplug everything and remove any card plugged in the MB... (make sure that you have plenty of space to remove and put the new motherboard, otherwise remove all hard drives and media readers)
    remove the 6-9 screws that holds the one you have currently in...
    remove the MB
    remove the back plate with the places to plug the printers and stuff like that...
    put the new plate in
    place the "spacers" (i don't know how they are called.. the things that are making sure the MB don't touch the case and holds the motherboards with the screws) in the good places (if there are some that are there and shouldn't REMOVE them.. otherwise it could make a short circuit)
    put the new Motherboard in
    screw it
    plug and put all the cards you want to have in....

it's not too bad... but i would buy a cheap case instead... because it's a pain in the ass to remove everything to put it back in after... and it can save some time.. and if you screw up.. you can always plug your hard drive back in the case you have and get some online help
    Last edited by Mishotaki; 24th-October-2005 at 07:49.

Thanks

sorry, that was a typo on the 4 part , im not going to upgrade my mem anytime soon seeing as i have a gig. But is the jump to the 64 worth it? Im wondering if just having that much brute force gonna make a a difference? im using all up to date parts and my power supply is adequate enough for a Radeon X700 that im using. I can jump to a Athalon64 and new MB for only 150 bucks, so thats the 64k question

As for that mem being backwards compatable, have you ever tested it out? The MB im looking at takes DDR 400 (PC 3200), and im using DDR 333 (2700). i dont want to be assed-out just cause the mem doesnt match

Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

A lot of the newer games which will come out in 2006 will tap into 64-bit power. Though they'll be playable on 32bit CPU's as well, but I'm sure 64-bit will give the games much better memory management. However, considering that most that games have to do with is the GPU rather than the CPU it won't make that much of a difference.
    Apart from that sure you'll see enormous increases in MP3 ripping and Video encoding, if you do that kind of stuff. In normal day to day applications, I don't think 64-bit is needed yet.
    I don't think you'll need a new case since the ATX format is still followed with most (if not all..) motherboards. Also, if you do go in for 64-bit as I've already stated, the main benefits are huge memory management capability so you could probably get another gig of ram just so you don't have to close any apps when you start playing a really intensive game.
    Transfer will be simple, buy a new Mobo+CPU, remove old Mobo+CPU, put the new one in place, connect everything and you should be good to go ><

Thanks

Thanks fellas, im gonna go for the gusto and get the upgrade . It's only 150 bucks and it's a long term investment, so im gonna go for it. And again, thanks for the help

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

right now you have a uATX (micro atx) motherboard. Most athlon 64 mobos are of the ATX form. Now, a uATX mobo WILL fit in a ATX case, but an ATX motherboard will NOT fit in a uATX case. So make sure you know which one you have.

Also, the slower ram will work with the new mobo, it'll just run at it's old speed.

You will notice a significant increase in most applications simply due to the fact that the athlon64 will be much faster than the sempron. It has nothing to do with 64bit support, simply that the a64 is a superior cpu. AND, later when 64 bit applications become more commonplace, you'll be ready.

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>