Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ps1 renamer & rip games

Thanks

Default ps1 renamer & rip games

Hi all
    I've just tried the ps1 renamer for the first time and I must say that it is really a great tool!
    Since I downloaded many psx isos from internet (smaller then 50 MB) I was asking my self if the ps1 renamer is able (or will be able ) to distinguish a complete iso from a ripped one.
    Sorry my bad English and really really thanks for this wonderful tool!
    ePSXe rules

Thanks

no. There isn't a program telling you if this is a rip or not. But rips haven't got video and sound files normally. So the rared archive is small ( 1 MB - 30 MB normally ). You can check with Isobuster the data files. In the folders there should be 0 MB Files ( an example: .str - 0 MB = Rip 100% ) .str stands for Video files in a psx game. If you downloaded the under 50 MB games from emusites 90% of this games are the commercial Rips like Dead or Alive, Destruction Derby 1, GTA 1,......)

Thanks

Thx for the explanation!!
    I'll check these isos manually like you said
    bye
    ePSXe rules

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by basilisco
    Thx for the explanation!!
    I'll check these isos manually like you said
    bye
    yep, no problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Some of us are working in making a list so everybody can compare their games with our database to tell if they have rips or not.
    The list is growing daily, you can check it here http://forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=36767

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
    Some of us are working in making a list so everybody can compare their games with our database to tell if they have rips or not.
    Thx cookie monster... also this will be very useful to me
    ePSXe rules

Thanks

Yes there is a small program that will tell you if it is a rip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToolPunk
    Yes there is a small program that will tell you if it is a rip.
    mmhh... and where exactly can I find this program?
    ePSXe rules

Thanks

It is called DVD Scan Lite v3.7 I uploaded it to Ultra (Rar 413KB), Click Here. When a rip of a PSX game is created the LBA checks are damaged and must be patched to allow the game to boot properly. When a rip of a PS2 game is created the disk check must be patched to read as a CD and not a DVD. DVD Scan Lite v3.7 can detect whether or not files for a game have been patched for this purpose and can also restore the original LBA/Disk checks (but for now we are just scaning for a patch).

The above and below has worked for me but I am imperfect so I can be proven wrong.

To use DVD Scan Lite v3.7 you must extract the files off the disk or from the image file into a folder because it can not scan disks, image files or whole directories. Once you have done that open DVD Scan Lite v3.7 and before you do anything click on options. Make sure it says NO for Auto-Patch Media Checks and it is up to you if you want a log produced. Depending on what you are scaning PSX/DVD select the correct media CD/DVD. Click on file and click Open, browse through to the directory you stored the files in. You can highlight and open multiple files at once. After selecting the files and upon clicking open the scan will then start. Many files will come up as non system files and tell you that they do not need to be scanned you can select yes or no. When the scan is complete you will be able to see in the window (or the log if you chose to create one) all the files that have been scanned. Take a look at the files and if it tells you that any of the files have been patched then you have a rip, if it brings back that all the files have there original code then you have an original.

Thanks
    EP Points

Interesting indeed. So, you say it can restore the original LBA/Disk checks. Does that mean it could fix a corrupted image, kind of like CDmage does? I understand it does not read isos, just the files that are extracted. Oftentimes I come across isos that have unfixable errors, so I am wondering.

Thanks

I use it on hard to find PS2 games that can only be found as a rip. I extract the files with ISO Buster and restore the original DVD checks to the files and burn to DVD with specific settings in NERO and bye bye problems. I also use CDMage to make sure all of the sectors are OK.
    Last edited by ToolPunk; 21st-October-2005 at 10:11. Reason: typ

Thanks

I tried DVD Scan Lite v3.7 but it seem it doesn't work... or better it doesn't recognize riped isos.
    I downloed the ridge racer ripped iso from emuparadise.org just to make a try, but DVD Scan Lite v3.7 scanning the files reports only their name without saying that they are patched files
    Thx for this program anyway and for the help you're giving to me
    ePSXe rules

Thanks

Sorry, it could be that the LBA was properly fixed after they had ripped out whatever they wanted to. One rule of thumb though is that most uncompessed PS1 image files that are under 100MB are rips.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToolPunk
    Sorry, it could be that the LBA was properly fixed after they had ripped out whatever they wanted to.
    No problem
    Now thanks to your help I can easily distinguish a riped game from an original one.
    Anyway let me spend some more words about the ps1 renamer tool.
    It won't be bad if in the game database which this toll uses to rename the isos, you add also (where it is possible) the whole iso size, so that the program comparing a scanned iso with the one into the database could be able to say if the size corresponds or not.
    I know it's hard to find the exact size of every original game and I don't even know if it is possible that the tools makes this operation of comparation...
    but I was just making a suggest
    thx again
    ePSXe rules

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, maybe in the future it will do that if the author is still working on the program. Last I checked the home page disappeared from the net, and http://www.illusionoflife.com/PS1_Renamer/index.htm has had it there for a while, but they aren't the program's creators though. Although I could be wrong on that. The original link I got from RichardStone, which I deleted since that site died. Hmmm....
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 21st-October-2005 at 11:40.