Thread: dreamcast bootloader v1.2

Thanks

Default nevermind :)

i downloaded the dreamcast bootloader v1.2. i get to the screen where the reindeer is spinning and i inserted a non-boot dc game. how do i make the game boot from this point? or should this happen automatically?

thanks!

edit: i think the first disk i tried must have been a bad image.
    Last edited by cyclefiend2000; 29th-September-2005 at 02:42.

It's cross season!

Thanks
    EP Points

After you put in the nonboot game, the reindeer will begin to stutter a bit in his spinning, then the screen will change to a chrome reindeer, and a spinning chrome Dreamcast disc in the background. Watch the lower left corner of the screen, and you will see a red percentage counting up to 100%...your game is loading

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    After you put in the nonboot game, the reindeer will begin to stutter a bit in his spinning, then the screen will change to a chrome reindeer, and a spinning chrome Dreamcast disc in the background. Watch the lower left corner of the screen, and you will see a red percentage counting up to 100%...your game is loading
    that happened for me with only one of the games i tried. not sure if the others were bad images or if my burner gave me a bad disk, but the others arent working. oh well... such is life.

It's cross season!

Thanks

the thing is the other games might be selfboot, and sometimes it takes a long time for a game to load. what games are you trying?

Thanks

i have tried nfl blitz 2000, tokyo xtreme 2, and one other game (cant remeber off the top of my head). all the games i have tried with the bootloader only have 1 session, not 2, so i am fairly certain they are nonboot games.

the only game i have gotten to work is quarterback club 2000. and it works exactly like sprung described.

when you say long load times... do you mean several minutes or more?

It's cross season!

Thanks

oh ive had one that took a whole minute to load its unbelievable...i dunno how to help you other than check all your burn settings if you put the game in without using the boot disc does it bring up the music player thing cuz if it does that usually means at least for me that ive burnt it using the wrong settings.

Thanks

yeah it does. what settings do you recommend? bear in mind that i usually use discjuggler or alcohol 120%.

thanks!

It's cross season!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by cyclefiend2000
    yeah it does. what settings do you recommend? bear in mind that i usually use discjuggler or alcohol 120%.

thanks!
    For Dreamcast, the optimal settings on Alcohol 120% are: RAW/DAO at 4X...or as slow as physically possible.

Thanks

i am pretty sure that is what i normally use with alcohol. i seem to get consistently more usable disks with discjuggler so i use that more often. will try to probably burn the games again with alcohol.

It's cross season!

Thanks
    EP Points

i am pretty sure that is what i normally use with alcohol. i seem to get consistently more usable disks with discjuggler so i use that more often. will try to probably burn the games again with alcohol.
    You are one of the lucky ones who can burn with DJ I can only rip games with it...if I try to burn, I get some strange protection error. DJ doesn't like my burner...

Thanks

i am burning a self boot game with alcohol atm. will let you know what happens with it. the downloads i have gotten sometimes work... sometimes dont. (nonboot and/or selfboot)

also, sometimes games will boot and sometimes wont in my dreamcast. usually one that has worked in the past will continue to work but i have to unplug/re-plug the dreamcast to get them to work.

have you ever had that problem?

oh and btw, my computer/burner are kind of old so i'm not sure if that makes a difference with the quality of the burns. also, i have gotten the majority of the games from usenet, more recently i have gotten some from the upload threads and bit torrent.

It's cross season!

Thanks
    EP Points

i am burning a self boot game with alcohol atm. will let you know what happens with it. the downloads i have gotten sometimes work... sometimes dont. (nonboot and/or selfboot)

also, sometimes games will boot and sometimes wont in my dreamcast. usually one that has worked in the past will continue to work but i have to unplug/re-plug the dreamcast to get them to work.

have you ever had that problem?

oh and btw, my computer/burner are kind of old so i'm not sure if that makes a difference with the quality of the burns. also, i have gotten the majority of the games from usenet, more recently i have gotten some from the upload threads and bit torrent.
    This sounds crazy, but turn your Dreamcast on it's left side (modem up) and try to boot some of the games that aren't currently working. It has been said that it actually works...I can't verify that though.

Old burners are the best for DC games. The new burners are getting to where they won't burn slower than 8 or 10X, and that makes some DC games refuse to boot. I do all my regular burns with the CD-RW at 4X, and when I am selfbooting, I use the DVD burner, as CDRECORD likes it much better.

USENET is pretty reliable for good ISOs. I can only recall maybe 2 or 3 I have ever downloaded that just refused to work.

Thanks

so you use cdrecord to burn cdi images only? or will it record other types?

also, do you use the linux version of cdrecord or windows?

thanks again for all the help.

It's cross season!

Thanks
    EP Points

so you use cdrecord to burn cdi images only? or will it record other types?

also, do you use the linux version of cdrecord or windows?

thanks again for all the help.
    No, CDRECORD is what I use for selfbooting with the Echelon method I burn my CDI files with Alcohol...actually Alcohol is pretty much all I use. CDRWin gives me an ASPI Layer error, CloneCD isn't much good unless I am copying a copy I already have, DiscJuggler hates me ...

EDIT: DOS version of CDRECORD