Thread: Can't Delete - Still in use? but HOW?

Thanks

Default Can't Delete - Still in use? but HOW?

Dell Dimension 2350 Desktop
    -Windows XP Home Edition (2002 Service pack 1)
    -Pentium 4 (2.20 Ghz)
    -768 RAM

So I have this DVD rip on a CD-R, in my cd rom drive, I'm copying it to my harddrive with intent of watching it, but during the copy process my computer freezes. I canceled but the explorer is "Not Responding", I tried "End Now", but no immediate result (I waited a couple of minutes and nada) so I kill the machine (I know it's bad but im just not very patient) and then boot up my machine.

I login and eject the CD-R. It appears that the file has completed its copy to my harddrive as the the file is shown in my documents folder in full size as on the disc (it looks completely fine), and when I open it (I have a feeling this could be cause of the problem), everything goes smoothly in realplayer (my default media player) but it must be corrupt since only partial video and audio play for a couple seconds until it freezes. Everytime I try to delete it, it says the file is in use:

I've tried closing all possible programs I can close, I've tried terminating all processes not responsible for system stability in the task manager (all that have my user name except explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe of course) I've uninstalled all programs that might have any connection to the file (media players ect.) but, THE DAMN FILE WON'T DIE. I get the same "still in use" message.

The stupid thing is, after I attempt to delete the file, windows gets really sluggish, especially explorer windows and certain applications like paint. My computer runs fine until I attempt to delete it, but once I've tampered with it my comp gets buggy. It locks up if I open certain (I'm not sure what I mean by certain) apps and windows and such and when I try to shut down it just sits there as if I haven't done anything for minutes.
    Funny thing is, when I unplug my network (Im on a wireless network for comcast cable internet, i unplugged the usb reciever thinger) while waiting for my shut down command to kick in, everything that I've clicked on and tried to close/open previous and after my clicking to shut down starts opening and closing and such for a second or too and then my computer immediately shuts down. I have plenty of RAM for a wireless network and all that, but my computer is locking up when I do the most simple things.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks

I call him putter putters. But that's not his name. his name is goober. But you will call him kitty.

Thanks

Have you tried getting rid of it in safe mode? (F5 during restart)

Thanks

Try deleting it through the program that you would use to open it. This has happened to me with avi files (the comp doesn't get sluggish though, so it might be different). I usually just restart explorer.exe from the task manager, then delete it or I would open the folder of the file in WMP and deleting it from there (just an example though).

[Woooooo!]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've had this happen to me with my "backup" movies and games.......anyways first try re-naming the file then try deleting it...if that dont work go here.
    http://www.download.com/ARen/3000-22...l?tag=lst-0-10
    Over 400+ Gaming Vids @ Doctorwordsworth's
    Need an Avatar? Stop by Planet of Avatars!
    For Video game documentation of any kind head on over to Game Docs 'R' Us!

Thanks

The file is deleted, Thanks oodles! Safe mode didn't work, and I couldn't rename it (didn't try the utility) but I could delete it in the open file menu of wmp So thanks juddy

I call him putter putters. But that's not his name. his name is goober. But you will call him kitty.