Thread: Bad sound in PSX

Thanks

Default Bad sound in PSX

I have or thought so anyway that I "tuned" (adjusted) my psx laser perfectly down to the nanometer on the pots but I still get some games that wont load or work properly.

I foudn teh perfect media (surprisingly its cheapo walmart CRC media) it is the only media that aways seems to work most consistantly. must be the dye/laser combination... I bought some japanese made pro disks but they ddnt work *unknown if they are TY...

The problem im runing into is MEGAMAN Legends 2 wont start a new game, just locks up...

and Blood Omen will miss play sounds...like whne I was adjusting the gain on my laser I could get jumping flash to make beeps and blips that were NOT suposed to be made I have to really tweek that setting to get the FMV and loading to work.. but it is imperfect. Im scared to get a new laser cause that might F-up my current set of working disks.. only two cdr backups dont work.. the rest are near flawless!!

suggestions..

Thanks

I don�t really recommend messing with the factory settings of your PSX, the only I can be sure that will work is the Laser setting that can be adjusted to work better.
    I burned a lot of PSX discs and I can consider myself "veteran" in this, so I can safetly tell you that 95% of the times, is a burning problem, not the game itself. There is, of course some bad, poorly uploaded copies out there, but even those can be fixed. Always burn at lower speeds, if you can, at 1X. I can only burn min. at 8X and 90% of my discs work alright. Don�t run programs in background(such as anti-virus, etc), never use another program while burning(even solitaire can affect this), let the computer burn alone.
    I noticed something too, that happens with prolonged time playing. There are lots of sound skip, and FMV frame skip after a long time playing. That, of course with only CD-R burned copies. I assume that at 1X, you get a perfect 1:1 copy.
    Note that CloneCD may lie about burning at 1X, my LG CD-RW drive, can only burn min. at 8X, but CloneCD says it can burn at 1X, but if you check at the transfer rate, you see that�s above 1X a great deal. Nero tells the truth, so it�s good to check it out.
    I always use those colored SmartBuy CDs, either Black or Purple one, they�re great. Tried Sony, TDK, LG, Digimaster, and SmartBuy. Being colored, Digimaster and SmartBuy, others green-plated.
    In the green-plated, only the LG was satisfying enough. My choice is SmartBuy anyway, buy the Black discs and burn at 1X if you can.
    Also note, that usually, different formats of sound, can be a problem too. Multiple tracks in CDA are troublesome, so I�m not sure if it will work alright even if at 1X. Capcom games, have a format that can be a problem too. I had problem with the Megaman X games, and Street Fighter Alpha series.
    All of Square�s games I own work alright. Some FMV frame skip, but it�s ok considering 8X burn speed. And some of them not even a single skip. Even after a long time playing(more than 3 hours).

Resuming: PSX hardware sucks. A definitive solution is to use an emulator and get rid of the problems, I still need to buy a good computer in order to stop thinking of throwing my PSX away when some frame skip occurs.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd chalk it up to bad burning method if you have gotten other backups to work on the same media. That or you downloaded a bad image. Try using alcohol and burn DAO / SAO at low speed with (Don't close the last session of current disc) unchecked. If that doesn't work ask around to see if you can find how someone else burned that disc. Generally using Alcohol 120% you barely ever have coasters.