Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have any questions about the bible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Winged 2.0

This is probably one of the questions that is best not to think about.
    Why not think about it? I don't understand religious people that feel insecure about the idea of lack of a higher being. You have the ability to ponder and make up your own mind.

You can think for yourself, God gave you a brain so you could use it right? If I were God I'd be happy that people were using their minds and thinking for themselves, if everyone did what God told them to then everything would be so boring and monotonous...

Thanks
    EP Points

since many people here have asked questions about the exactness of stories in the bible (someone asked about noah's arc, someone asked about adam & eve, etc) i will post this to hopefully answer anymore of these types of questions:
    the bible should not be read as a book of facts. it is not a history book and shouldn't be used for historical accuracy. rather, the bible should be used to discover religious truth. although im sure some of the stories in the bible are factual, many are not. many are metaphors to help in the search for religious truth. heres an example. if you have read much of the bible it often mentions the number 40 (such as days Jesus was in the desert, years the Jews were lost in the desert, days Moses spent on a mountain, etc.). this is not a coincidence because the stories are all true, but rather it has a meaning to it. another example would be that genesis contains two creation stories. catholics are taught not to take the bible literally while protestants (that is, all christians who aren't catholic) are taught the bible more literally. excuse me if that last point is not 100% correct but i have been led to believe it is. but anyway, this can also effect the type of answer you get depending on who you ask when asking a literal question about the bible.

Thanks

[QUOTE=artist088 the bible should not be read as a book of facts. rather, the bible should be used to discover religious truth. [/QUOTE]

There is no truth without facts to support it. If someone told you monkeys can fly, would you not want to see proof before going around and telling everyone else that monkeys could fly?

Thanks

You guys need to stop playing your atheism card in a thread about bible questions. I don't believe the vast majority of this stuff either, but I am capable of reading thread titles.

Go preach elsewhere.
    Last edited by KnightofNachos; 12th-August-2005 at 04:29.

Thanks

I have a few questions about The Bible...

1) Is it really logical to believe in many of the "miracles" that were performed before Moses? IE parting of the red sea? I also read that it is a very big mistranslation and he actually parted the reef sea. All of his miracles can be explained by science.

2) Just like the biggest corporations are corrupt, are the bigest religions corrupt?

3) How come only a few people in The Bible say they saw Jesus rise from the dead and we believe them, but out of the hundreds of thousands of people who say they saw Big Foot/Lockness Monster we don't believe any of them?

4) Did God make Adam and Eve perfect?

5) Isn't true that the only way to completly understand what Jesus said over 2,000 years ago would to be standing right next o him with a pen and paper recording exactly what he said? Over the period of 2000 years the misunderstandings would have been amplified hundreds of times while superstitious people put their own religious slant on the texts as they were translating, transcribing and copying them. This puts basis that God talks to people, and if this is the case; why do we view people who say they talk to God in this day and age as crazy but thousands of years ago sane?

6) Is The Bibel up for interpratation? If yes does that mean these events may not have happened like they did, only you to believe in a certain moral? And if no isn't it putting complete faith into and in some psuedo-mind control?

7) I have been thinking about this oxymoron: The Bible is God's word because The Bible says so and God exists because The Bible says so.

I have a lot more questions about religion in general, and I tried to make them non-offensive. I might ask some later if nobody minds. I am not the anti-christ like my mother thinks. I just believe people should question everything, especially religion.
    Wish list: Xenogears, Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within, FF9 disc 2, Legend of Dragoon.

My ISO's: Harvest Moon, FF7/9/Tactics, Dino Crisis 2, Chrono Cross, Chocobo Racing (RIP), Valkyrie Profile, Parasite Eve, Vandal Hearts, Ergheiz, Breath of Fire 3, Legend of Legia
    *I also have many SNES, NES, N64, and GBA roms*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x-D-x
    I just believe people should question everything, especially religion.
    I believe people like you are intelligent. It's also a good idea to question your country's legislature, tax funding, etc. It's your world and your life, so you should be well aware of what's going on around you. An issue you don't care much about now may very well come around and bite you in the ass.

Of course questioning religion(and politics) in some societies and eras would not be a wise choice because it could get you into some serious shit with authorities. Ie: Christian inquisitions, modern dictatorships, corrupt governments, fundamentalist regimes, ridiculous shit, etc.

Just because you're religious doesn't meen you shouldn't question your own religion. You should find all of the answers you don't have, otherwise your belief will not be fulfilling. How people can firmly believe in something they don't have a complete understanding and grasp on is beyond me. I'm not saying that you should be able to explain everything in a religious writing but at least be able to make up your own mind and decide what the religion means to you. Think of it as music, literature, or art, not everyone interprets it the same way. That's what makes you human. Whoever tells you that you believe in something false is a dick, and probably doesn't want you to live a happy life.

So what I'm trying to say to the religious folk is: it might not be the best choice to follow a religious writing literally, but rather make up your own mind and follow what sounds good to you... interpret the writings(or the concept, because many people don't read the Bible) as you please and live a happy life. After all, that's what religion is for, right?

Look at me, I'm a liberal hippy philosopher.

Edit: I didn't mean to kill this thread with that, but I just felt like I had to give this piece of advice to someone.
    Last edited by Soeru; 12th-August-2005 at 05:08.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    Look at me, I'm a liberal hippy philosopher.
    Hey, thats what people call me!!
    Last edited by x-D-x; 12th-August-2005 at 05:06.
    Wish list: Xenogears, Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within, FF9 disc 2, Legend of Dragoon.

My ISO's: Harvest Moon, FF7/9/Tactics, Dino Crisis 2, Chrono Cross, Chocobo Racing (RIP), Valkyrie Profile, Parasite Eve, Vandal Hearts, Ergheiz, Breath of Fire 3, Legend of Legia

Thanks

Heh, no shit? The same wording and all? That's pretty rad...

Well I believe all people are equal, I dislike war(though it's an interesting theme in films/games/music/literature), and I'm more worldly and cultured than your average joe. Guess that makes me a liberal hippy philosopher.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KnightofNachos
    You guys need to stop playing your atheism card in a thread about bible questions. I don't believe the vast majority of this stuff either, but I am capable of reading thread titles.

Go preach elsewhere.
    There's a difference between preaching and stating your opinions of how a situation should be percieved. I like scientific proof, and I think thats the best way to have logical explanations for everything. My statement was in regards to what someone else said, I was making conversation with someone inside the thread. It was not directed at Xena.. If it were, I'd understand your point... Oh, and if you weren't talking to me, then please accept my apologies

Thanks

for darkreeverofel: there can be truth without facts to support it, and here's an example, u have a baby and the next day, the baby dies, according to u, once that babies corpse becomes dirt, it never existed, and no matter what u say could convince ppl if they all thought the way u do, because they have no proof that it existed, so they would take the point of view that you're lying.

for x-D-x: 1)yes, we dont have "proof" that most of the miracles in the bible ever happened, but many of them, like the parting of the red sea could have in fact benn possible, because i read that there is an underwater "mountain" (what im calling it) (it was a raised area underwater) where they would have crossed, and also i read that the winds in that area do sometimes get quite fast, so assuming that God exists, if he wanted them to cross, all he would have to do is make the winds faster, and "make them meet head on" (dont know what would have needed to happen) right there so that the winds would separate the water. and the fact that his miracles can be explained by science adds to their "believability" all that means is God made the needed requirements happen so that his miracles could happen

2) i will not say that the major religions are corrupt, nor will i say that the major religions are corrupt, but i will say that i believe that there are certain groups in the major religion that r corrupt, and some that rn't

3)well, now we're onto the jesus issue we believe that jesus rose from the dead, because his body was never found dont u think that since the pharasees hated jesus, and wanted to put an end to christianity, dont u think they would just take the body out of the tomb and show it to all the ppl, and say "look he's dead!" but they didnt do that, because they couldnt because jesus' body was not in the tomb, and if anyone has arguments against that, i can most likely shut them down, but i will no longer like u, because i will have to find my last year's binder, and then find my notes on all of the jesus theories so plz dont argue JUST ACCEPT IT ALREADY!

4) well, i believe he did, but since there is no "proof" u dont have to read what im going to write i believe that they were made perfect. and no i dont think that the fact that eve took the fruit means she wasnt perfect, i think that that just means that she was decieved, so she thought she wasnt doing anything bad. i know that that doesnt make perfect sense, but i dont claim to be a christianity pro, i havent memorized the whole bible, i havent even READ the whole bible

5)well, i dont think that the scriptures were twisted very much, and this is ny reason. back then, scribes had to copy the books, and if u were a scribe of the religion of the book u were copying, wouldnt u be ever so careful not to screw up the tiniest little detail if it was your main holy book!? i heard/read that scribes threw out hole pages if they had only one mistake, and if u think about how they got to be a scribe, and how "qualified" they had to be, its not very hard to believe that that's true, so i believe that if the bible was mistranslated anywhere, it would have happened in the last 200-100 years where religion became replaced by science

6) well yes, its good to question what u read, especially if its coming out of jesus' mouth in the scriptures, because he talked with many parables, so many things he said were just examples like my example to darkreeverofel at the beginning to this, and so they were just intended to show the jews what he was trying to say, but i do believe that the major majority of the stories in the bible r true, and x-D-x, whatever your name is? im glad that you're questioning the teachings of the church, because one main teaching, i dont even believe in its the doctrine of hell: i do believe that it exists, but not as it is described as in the bible, i do not think that it is a huge pit of eternal fire where ppl r sent to be punished 4 what they did, if u want to know what i believe, i will have to find my last years binder, so if u hate me ask me what i believe, but i have many facts to back it up, and it does sound more logical that a "torture chamber"

7) *no comment* i hate oxymorons all i have to say is if u dont believe in God, FINE but if u do, it's because u have faith in what a who knows how old document copied over and over throughout the ages and what a religion which is one of the largest (catholicism is the largest) teaches, so it's pretty convincing

and as a final comment, if your mom thinks you're the anti-christ because youre questioning what u read and hear, *whisper*she's wierd*whisper*, because if u believe everything u hear, and read, you're not the brightest out there its good that youre questioning

Thanks

uh, two things, i looked at my RPG status, and i am not a chick, and the one "embarassed symbol" in my post was supposed to be a symbol of surprise/shock like this ": o" (mouth wide open saying *gasp*)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KnightofNachos

Go preach elsewhere.
    I created this thread for people to ask questions about the bible.

Thank you.

If i am guilty of forcing my opinion on someone then please make it clear to me.
    I only want to try to show people what the bible says about such matters.

Also there is an over whelming amount of questions posted while i was asleep
    im very busy atm. but ill try my best to post some points about some of
    the questions please forgive me if i am unable to reply to your question.
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..

Thanks

I have a few questions about The Bible...

1) Is it really logical to believe in many of the "miracles" that were performed before Moses? IE parting of the red sea? I also read that it is a very big mistranslation and he actually parted the reef sea. All of his miracles can be explained by science.
    Christains belive god gives the power to do miracles:

Exedous 4:21
    21 And Jehovah went on to say to Moses: �After you have gone and returned to Egypt see that YOU men actually perform all the miracles that I have put in your hand before Phar�aoh. As for me, I shall let his heart become obstinate; and he will not send the people away

Here is an example of gods power: please note the comments in brakets
    are not my comments, they are accturally what the bible says.

1 Kings 19:11-12
    11 But it said: �Go out, and you must stand on the mountain before Jehovah.� And, look! Jehovah was passing by, and a great and strong wind was rending mountains and breaking crags before Jehovah. (Jehovah was not in the wind.) And after the wind there was a quaking. (Jehovah was not in the quaking.) 12 And after the quaking there was a fire. (Jehovah was not in the fire.) And after the fire there was a calm, low voice

2) Just like the biggest corporations are corrupt, are the bigest religions corrupt?
    I cannot answer that unfortunaly since my comment whould definatly offend someone. I am not afraid of Exposing falseness but this forum has rules.
    and i am in subject to authority.

3) How come only a few people in The Bible say they saw Jesus rise from the dead and we believe them, but out of the hundreds of thousands of people who say they saw Big Foot/Lockness Monster we don't believe any of them?
    There is more at steak for mankind if the bible is false then if bigfoot is real
    Belivers Belive the whole future of mankind is at steak if the bible is a fraud.
    So people are more consered about what the bible says then bigfoot.

4) Did God make Adam and Eve perfect?
    Christains belive That man is imperect because of sin,
    And God made adam in his image:
    Genisis 1:26

26 And God went on to say: �Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness.

The bible says god is perfect:

2 Samuel 22:31
    31 As for the [true] God, perfect is his way;
    The saying of Jehovah is a refined one.
    A shield he is to all those taking refuge in him

the bible says Adam sined.

Romans 5:12
    12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.

5) Isn't true that the only way to completly understand what Jesus said over 2,000 years ago would to be standing right next o him with a pen and paper recording exactly what he said? Over the period of 2000 years the misunderstandings would have been amplified hundreds of times while superstitious people put their own religious slant on the texts as they were translating, transcribing and copying them. This puts basis that God talks to people, and if this is the case; why do we view people who say they talk to God in this day and age as crazy but thousands of years ago sane?
    To your first part,
    Matthew, Mark, Luke, and others were with Jesus and they are bible writers.

To your second part about it being considered crazy nowadys to talk to god,
    The bible says that in the Last days, the times would be very difficult:

2 Timothy 3:1-7
    3 But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6 For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

6) Is The Bibel up for interpratation? If yes does that mean these events may not have happened like they did, only you to believe in a certain moral? And if no isn't it putting complete faith into and in some psuedo-mind control?
    Not really a question about what the bible says.
    You have to make your own mind up.
    Though your point is a very debated one, There has been numerous attacks
    on the book of Daniel, starting in 3rd century C.E. Started by the roman philosipher Porphyry. He belived the book was written in 167-164 bce
    rather then the sixth century bce. This is a mamoth topic but one which has now been silenced thanks to many archoligical discoverys like the
    pray book of Bel-sar-ussur (Belshazzer) which was found in Iraq in 1854
    Which dis-proves the philosipheres theory that Belshazzer didnt exist.
    Since Daniel wrote about Belshazzer being the last King of Babylon.
    But like i said you have make your own mind up wether you want
    to belive philosiphers or the word of god.

7) I have been thinking about this oxymoron: The Bible is God's word because The Bible says so and God exists because The Bible says so.
    I dont think that is a question Lol. But a true point, though mabye you could
    elaberate a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by winged 2.0
    If God made us who made God? Its just hard to comprehend such a thing. Its kind of like the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" only to a higher degree.
    A scripture:

Exedous 15:18
    18 Jehovah will rule as king to time indefinite, even forever.

Oh and the Chicken came first. If you belive in creation.
    Last edited by Xena; 12th-August-2005 at 18:44.

Thanks

Haha Xena you are an amazing person - even if a very hair-splitting topic such as this one where serious conversation would prevail you still make me laugh .

My question about The Bible being up to interpreation is this: IN my Global class we talked about how society brainwashes us, and he asked us for other people that have brainwashed people throughout societ. I said Moses. Moses did brainwash us in to the extrent that we gave us the set of morals which we all "have" to this day (also part of laws). Then we started talking about mind control with brainwashing. Moses was either talking to God, or he perfectly found a way to control people's minds (which he did considering we always think 'omg killing is bad') - this isn't meant to be shown in a negative way. Then this would bring me to the next idea that if The Bible isn't up for intepration, then it is just a form of mind control. Once again, not meant to offend anybody.

Another thing I don't understand is this; If Adam (I'm not sure about Eve since The Bible says 'make man' - even though I believe man to be short of mankind meaning all humans but my question doesn't change) is perfect, how could he falter to sin in a blink of an eye?

What did Jesus die for? Was it for the sins of Adam and Eve?

Is the sin of Adam and Eve comparable to the retribution of God - damning his creation and making them be born with sin?

And if Adam was made in God's image, asd he faultered to sin - does that make God imperfect to? But The Bible says that God is perfect?

And to Dragonfly on the question about the mistranslation and biasness going into The Bible. I am not talking specifically about the people who wrote The Bible in the first place (even though the people who wrote it didn't copy what was going on until after he died so there still left rom for not only interpration but personal beliefes to be put in there) but what about the people that had to translate the book over these thousands of years? Leaving more room for mistranslations and biasness.

And my name is D, but even though my RPG is a female I am a male.

Thanks

Haha Xena you are an amazing person
    Not really.